Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by N2bnfunn.

Apr 22, 2019 18:02 |  #3886

Pondrader wrote in post #18849920 (external link)
The last few years I have shot in excess of 180,000 per year on many different cards and cameras.. This is my second EOS R.. If the $200 card gets it done for you I say good on you. But I would not say the Sandisk Extreme pro 128g is a lesser quality card.

I never said this was the BEST SD card you can buy. I simply said that it is what works for me. I never had any trouble with scan disk SD card.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links
Coderunner
292 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 22, 2019 20:16 |  #3887

I love the RF 35mm f/1.8
Red Trillium

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wild Geranium

HOSTED PHOTO

1D X Mark II,5D Mark IV,EOS R & too many lens
http://www.sthornhill.​com (external link)

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,738 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by DigitalTuned. (2 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2019 22:46 as a reply to  @ post 18849948 |  #3888

I agree with this as well.. I have 3 dslr bodies (550d, 5d2 and 5d3) and I can say that all my EF lenses out perform on the R compared to the other bodies. They seem to be a lot faster..

My list of EF lenses are:
50mm f1.2L
85mm f1.8
100mm Macro
135mm f2L (Beast)
24-70mm f2.8L
70-200mm f4L non IS with a x1.4 extender
70-200mm f2.8IIL

I also own, tried and work excellent are the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my 550d. It automatically crops the sensor to x1.6 since its an EF-S lens. The Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 which you would have to crop the sensor in order to use the entire range of this lens on this camera or leave it set to full frame and use it as a 15ish -16mm lens.

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

justdmbobbo
42 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 22, 2019 23:07 |  #3889

DigitalTuned wrote:
=DigitalTuned;18850080
100mm Macro

how long/heavy is the 100mm Macro on the R with the converter?

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,351 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 23, 2019 00:39 |  #3890

Coderunner wrote in post #18850008 (external link)
I love the RF 35mm f/1.8
Red Trillium
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Coderunner in
./showthread.php?p=188​50008&i=i54196229
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Wild Geranium
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Coderunner in
./showthread.php?p=188​50008&i=i149079576
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Awesome Trillium.

Is that native to your region, or some cultivated variety?

There's a red petal one out west here, but the petals sort of twist upward instead of outward flat like the ovatum species in our forests.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,351 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 23, 2019 00:41 |  #3891

Pondrader wrote in post #18849920 (external link)
The last few years I have shot in excess of 180,000 per year on many different cards and cameras.. This is my second EOS R.. If the $200 card gets it done for you I say good on you. But I would not say the Sandisk Extreme pro 128g is a lesser quality card.

I think there was a special deal on those cards recently at Adorama for 2 x cards @ less than $50

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

DigitalTuned
4,738 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2019 02:50 |  #3892

justdmbobbo wrote in post #18850090 (external link)
how long/heavy is the 100mm Macro on the R with the converter?

The 100mm macro non L version with the adaptor is about 1" shorter than the 70-200mm f4 non IS. In my camera it is well balanced due to the battery grip i recently purchased. Prior to the grip, if you back track my posts about this camera, i hated the feel of this camera as it felt extremely unbalanced with all my EF lenses. I had this same problem with my 550d.. it was just too small in my hand with my pinky hovering at the bottom. After the grip it just feels much better for me as i have all my fingers gripping the camera taking away that awkward front heavy feeling away.

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

DigitalTuned
4,738 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2019 03:55 |  #3893

IMAGE: http://i68.tinypic.com/ohpusz.jpg

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

Coderunner
292 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 23, 2019 06:24 |  #3894

mdvaden wrote in post #18850118 (external link)
Awesome Trillium.

Is that native to your region, or some cultivated variety?

There's a red petal one out west here, but the petals sort of twist upward instead of outward flat like the ovatum species in our forests.

Thanks
It's a native, Trillium erectum, also known as Wake-robin or Stinking Benjamin because of its strong smell

1D X Mark II,5D Mark IV,EOS R & too many lens
http://www.sthornhill.​com (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,189 posts
Gallery: 777 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2019 06:48 |  #3895

Haven't checked in here in a while, glad to see all of the activity.

Adapted lenses: flawless in every way. I have had zero issues using all of my lenses. I said it early on in this thread: the 50L is a rockstar on the EOS R. The 135L and 85L f/1.4 are also exemplary, and my 24-70 f/2.8 II basically lives on this camera as my family documentary rig.

The things I love the most about this camera:

1) WYSIWYG has drastically reduced the number of photos I delete in post. No more binned photos from under/over exposure because it's too easy getting it perfect in camera. I have EC tied to the control ring adapter, which is just an awesome feature. It used to be that only the 1-series got metering tied to spot-AF, but that's really not a big deal anymore when a quick twist of the control ring can get your photo just right.

2) The sensor, and how easy it is to work with in post. I'm loving the look I'm getting in photos, with luscious colors and great detail. Noise control is exemplary, for the most part I don't hesitate to shoot at any ISO value. They say it's just a tweaked 5D4 sensor, but as a former 5D4 owner I can say that the results from the R look and feel completely different. Both are great, they're just different, and the one great characteristic they share is how malleable the files are when making big changes in post.

Now, for my negatives:

I use the R for everything besides bird photography. For birding, I'm finding it inadequate because it's AF responsiveness is just too slow, and that performance with extenders is dodgy. The AF seems to start hunting too easily in brushy environments, and initial lock on with small, erratic birds is a challenge. I can see the R being suitable for non-moving, perched birds or shooting from a blind when things are more static, but in run-and-gun situations in low light, woodsy settings where quick reflexes and timing are needed to capture a flitting Warbler or Chickadee, the R just doesn't cut it.

The touch bar: it was a nice try by Canon to introduce an innovative feature, but I'm not a fan. It's too easy to accidentally bump it and change a setting, or when you put that 2-second lock activation on it, it's too slow to make quick changes.

Canon fixed the small point in servo, so that's no longer a thing, but Canon isn't giving us new features, they're patching the camera to bring it up to basic standard.

-------

Overall, it's a fine camera that's rounding into form, and it's super fun to shoot with! The RF lenses look sensational, especially that 70-200. I'm really interested in the 35mm f/1.8 for general use because it's so small, and my wife wants a macro lens for her projects. She actually uses the R more than I do, and recently proclaimed it to be "her camera" :)

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,865 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 23, 2019 14:47 |  #3896

MatthewK wrote in post #18850205 (external link)
2) The sensor, and how easy it is to work with in post. I'm loving the look I'm getting in photos, with luscious colors and great detail. Noise control is exemplary, for the most part I don't hesitate to shoot at any ISO value. They say it's just a tweaked 5D4 sensor, but as a former 5D4 owner I can say that the results from the R look and feel completely different.

One possible explanation is that they are metering differently. What I've seen from equally-exposed RAWs shows slightly grainier noise character with the R than the 5D4. The latest Canon sensors since the 80D have more highlight headroom relative to externally-metered middle grey, which is why their "measured ISO" in DxOMark (~64) is lower than the earlier sensors (80 or mid-90s). Perhaps now that the R series are WYSIWYG, Canon feels that it is safer to give more exposure for the same ISO? So, your actual ISO may be lower than that of the setting by 1/3 stops or so.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,189 posts
Gallery: 777 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2019 18:00 |  #3897

Here's some photos so as to stick to the original mission of the thread. When I said it was inadequate for birds, I didn't mean that it can't be used for it ;)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

John Sheehy wrote in post #18850420 (external link)
One possible explanation is that they are metering differently. What I've seen from equally-exposed RAWs shows slightly grainier noise character with the R than the 5D4. The latest Canon sensors since the 80D have more highlight headroom relative to externally-metered middle grey, which is why their "measured ISO" in DxOMark (~64) is lower than the earlier sensors (80 or mid-90s). Perhaps now that the R series are WYSIWYG, Canon feels that it is safer to give more exposure for the same ISO? So, your actual ISO may be lower than that of the setting by 1/3 stops or so.

The reviewer Dustin Abbot demonstrated the same thing in his side-by-side shots b/w the 5D4 and R. Slightly more noise in exchange for slightly more detail. Can't remember if there was an exposure difference though, I'll have to rewatch the video. Whatever the case, I enjoy the aesthetics of both sensors.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

DigitalTuned
4,738 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by DigitalTuned. (2 edits in all)

Apr 24, 2019 03:23 |  #3898

Some random abstract stuff around my apartment, yes bored at 5am , need some sleep

IMAGE: http://i66.tinypic.com/103j60z.jpg

IMAGE: http://i68.tinypic.com/dp90gn.jpg
]

IMAGE: http://i65.tinypic.com/2rq0oyr.jpg

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

crofter
322 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 24, 2019 08:16 |  #3899

Unlikely sort of chap round these parts.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47686892411_23c34cd19b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2fDV​MJc  (external link) Peacock (external link) by Rob Nelson (external link), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

angelIV
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 24, 2019 12:54 |  #3900

Thank you all for the replies got the r with the 35 mm stm. Felt better in my hands than the rp. Thank you again

Gear list: 7d, 50d, xti, EOS 66 film, Canon FTB,sigma 18-35 1.8 art len, EF 24-105L, 70-200f4. Manfrotto 190xpro, sirui g20x. BR metro.

sponsored links

768,261 views & 12,881 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.