Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Apr 2019 (Saturday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Did Our Digital Images Get from the Old Days to Here?

AZGeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,620 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by AZGeorge.

Apr 22, 2019 13:44 |  #16

Choderboy wrote in post #18849613 (external link)
. . . 320x200 pixel BMP 256 colour image of a tree frog . . .
It probably took over a minute, drawing line by line to display the complete image.

Oh yes! That was amazing. If (in the faint chance) memory serves it was this one. I may have molested it some over the years.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links
AZGeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,620 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2019 13:55 |  #17

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18849643 (external link)
. . . full color graphics with Macintosh stuff that made other computers of the day look like a hammer and chisel it seemed to me. It was the beginning of the whole digital image world IMO . . .

That sure is true. Even with Apple out there showing the way it took years for other systems to catch up. Even now many graphics people are loyal to their greatly loved Macs.

George

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,477 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 22, 2019 15:54 |  #18

I remember back in the early 90s hearing about bulletin boards (the electronic type). A guy at work told me he communicates with others
by using a bulletin board. Was that a precursor to the web?

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,966 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 22, 2019 16:20 |  #19

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18849895 (external link)
I remember back in the early 90s hearing about bulletin boards (the electronic type). A guy at work told me he communicates with others

I shouldn't even try to answer in the presence of all these tech sophisticates, but I believe that if it was public, it was part of the Web, and that POTN is one of many bulletin boards–they just aren't usually called that now. The codes for bold, italic, and underline, the letters in brackets, are examples of bbcode, whose name means bulletin-board code.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,015 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 22, 2019 16:23 |  #20

AZGeorge wrote in post #18849826 (external link)
Oh yes! That was amazing. If (in the faint chance) memory serves it was this one. I may have molested it some over the years.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AZGeorge in
./showthread.php?p=188​49826&i=i138376171
forum: General Photography Talk

I think that's it!

Dave
Image editing OK

AZGeorge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,620 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2019 19:34 |  #21

They certainly existed before the web but were more an early use of the internet. Most BB's died but some adapted to the brave new world of the HTTP web. There must be a few non-web BB's still around but I don't know of any.

George

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by Jeff_56. (2 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2019 21:25 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

AZGeorge wrote in post #18849812 (external link)
Think you meant to say "wasn't the web" rather than "wasn't the internet."

Not really. It wasn't the internet we know. They had their own networks. They were online networks and they later had internet access but at first they were closed systems.

FWIW Compuserve introduced the .gif format image to the online world in 1987. At that time they were not connected to the internet. They started internet access in 1989 in a limited way.

Jeff_56
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by Jeff_56. (4 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2019 21:49 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

BBN's were often connected through what was called FidoNet. It was a satellite based net connection that was echoed around the world. I had many conversations with people in India and other parts of the east. It was pretty impressive at the time to dial up my local bulletin board (Kitty City was my favorite) and post Usenet messages (actually called Echomail at the time but it was nearly identical to Usenet) that were sometimes even answered a few weeks later. Network connections were pretty spotty and depended on when the host of the BBN, known as a sysop, wanted to make the connection to the network.

BBN's were part of the internet later mostly as Telnet sites. Eventually most died out but some became web portals. They were hard to tell from any other web site by that point. None of my local boards survived. I would guess some are still around. FidoNet became a part of the NNTP world and may still be around. It was the last time I checked but that was years ago.

Update: I checked and FidoNet is still around as BBN's that are connected via Telnet. It has actually made something of a comeback as specialty type sites that are connected via Telnet.. The Echomail groups that became part of Usenet may still be active also.

Spencerphoto
722 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 6 months ago by Spencerphoto.

Apr 22, 2019 22:13 |  #24

Whenever I hear the sound of the old dial-up modems, I am instantly transported back almost thirty years, to a Sunday evening at home. I would typically be trying to upload my report to a UK motorsport magazine, from a race meeting that weekend. Photos were already at the office being processed, having been sent, still in the can, via courier.

It always required several attempts to get the darn thing uploaded and an electronic receipt sent back. If I recall, a report would take around 20mins to upload, but of course, it would often crash when 95% uploaded ...

I would then await publication, and an opportunity to spot spellnig mistakes and typos that were mysteriously invisible the five times I checked it before sending it in :lol:

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,799 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 22, 2019 23:00 |  #25

AZGeorge wrote in post #18849831 (external link)
That sure is true. Even with Apple out there showing the way it took years for other systems to catch up. Even now many graphics people are loyal to their greatly loved Macs.

The Amiga had a better graphics and sound system. It was popular with graphic artists, musicians, and videographers. It had video processing add-on that was way cheaper than previous professional video effects, so it was viable with smaller broadcast productions. The company that developed it also developed an early 3D animation package:Lightwave.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

timd35
224 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 22, 2019 23:01 |  #26

Anyone remember those 300-1200 baud modems connecting to BBS's and using Kermit to transfer files :-)

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com

Jeff_56
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 23, 2019 02:39 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

timd35 wrote in post #18850088 (external link)
Anyone remember those 300-1200 baud modems connecting to BBS's and using Kermit to transfer files :-)

Sure do. The first modem I saw was an actual modulator / demodulator setup. You used a rotary phone to dial another system and then you put the phone down on a cradle built for the handset. It took a long time just to send a message but it was faster than snail mail. It looked like this.

http://i.imgur.com/4Y6​9RH3.jpg (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,354 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 23, 2019 06:58 |  #28

Just to remind y-all. Dial-up (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

timd35
224 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 23, 2019 07:05 |  #29

I can't remember the movie but when someone connected to send some messages you could hear the modem dial and then go through connecting and negotiating. My kids asked what the heck was that? Why was it making all that noise. :lol:

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 23, 2019 07:47 |  #30

timd35 wrote in post #18850211 (external link)
I can't remember the movie but when someone connected to send some messages you could hear the modem dial and then go through connecting and negotiating. My kids asked what the heck was that? Why was it making all that noise. :lol:

"Shall we play a game?"

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

1,399 views & 12 likes for this thread
How Did Our Digital Images Get from the Old Days to Here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.