Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 23 Apr 2019 (Tuesday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Perfect strap setup for HEAVY gear: PeakDesign Slide + Specter Sling Pad

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,189 posts
Gallery: 777 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2019 13:32 |  #1

My favorite strap of all time is the Peak Designs Slide because of the quick adjust feature, as being able to quickly tighten/loosen the strap is an integral part of how I brace/stabilize the rig when shooting hand held, especially while in a standing position. The one huge drawback with using heavier gear with the PD Slide is that the padding on the strap isn't adequate, and it starts to dig into my shoulder after a day out in the field. I wrote to PD to inquire about them maybe making a thicker strap, but I guess because everyone shoots dainty mirrorless cameras, they don't see a need to make something with more beefy padding  :p So, aside from doing more shrugs in the gym, I've been on the lookout for a solution.

Enter the Specter Gear Universal Sling Pad (external link). It's made to give more padding to shotgun/rifle slings, but it works perfectly for this application. Super simple: velcro the wider, paddier pad over the PD Slide, and the shoulder gouging ceases. You retain QD ability and get more padding. Done and done. It's also fairly affordable at $30, and comes in multiple colors.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Apr 24, 2019 07:56 |  #2

Why not use a gunstock for this long lens? Will make it easier to hand hold.

As for "heavy" - you aren't approaching ultra large format size and weight yet.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,189 posts
Gallery: 777 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by MatthewK.

Apr 24, 2019 10:33 as a reply to  @ Deardorff's post |  #3

Where would you find a gunstock setup for a DSLR+lens, I want to take a look at it. I've also had ideas about somehow fabbing a more ergonomic angled front grip that could be affixed to the tripod foot; even with the lightest of lenses, the sharp angle of your wrist while supporting the lens barrel is fatiguing. I have found that the right tripod foot can help somewhat though.

"heavy" is a relative term, of course :-)

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,920 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 26, 2019 10:28 |  #4

The one that had been around for some time seems to be discontinued;
https://www.amazon.com​/dp/B0037JVIVG/?tag=mh​local-20 (external link)

But this new one is around;
https://www.amazon.com …-Camcorders/dp/B00JQJXK​A8 (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,443 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 26, 2019 11:57 |  #5

Then, there's this one:

https://www.cottoncarr​ier.com …/steady-shot-with-harness (external link)

Not for my need, but others may find it useful.

As I'm getting older, my tolerance for carrying anything around my neck or shoulder has drastically diminished. I find that CC's vest, which allows all the weight of the gear in the center of my body, to be the most effective.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

518 views & 0 likes for this thread
Perfect strap setup for HEAVY gear: PeakDesign Slide + Specter Sling Pad
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.