Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

MichSt
Goldmember
1,065 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 24, 2019 17:33 |  #3901

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18849415 (external link)
No we were all shooting in the same mode, here is what I have noticed when I was using
95MB/s memory card the shutter had a unique sound to it, like a mechanical sound to it, I posted that when I first
got the EOS R camera. But when I switched to the 300MB/s it sounds so much smoother and responds much faster when
pushing the shutter button.

FYI - I just received a UHS II card 150 Mb/s, and tried it out with my R. Really weird, but I also noticed a difference in the shutter sound as well. I was using a UHS I 95 Mb/s card and the shutter definitely had a distinct clunky sound. With the new card it's noticeably quieter and smoother. Not sure about it responding faster. Have to put it through some real use first.

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

sponsored links
WilsonFlyer
666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 24, 2019 18:20 |  #3902

MichSt wrote in post #18851026 (external link)
FYI - I just received a UHS II card 150 Mb/s, and tried it out with my R. Really weird, but I also noticed a difference in the shutter sound as well. I was using a UHS I 95 Mb/s card and the shutter definitely had a distinct clunky sound. With the new card it's noticeably quieter and smoother. Not sure about it responding faster. Have to put it through some real use first.

Now that's interesting. Can't wait to see some follow-up testing and affirmation of this phenomenon.

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by Mistabernie. (2 edits in all)

Apr 24, 2019 22:20 |  #3903

Great. Now I want to buy a faster card (currently using 95mb/sec Extreme Pro) and try this in my R to see if I notice the sound difference. Maybe my local store will have one open to try it out with.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

Gianpaolo
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2019

Apr 25, 2019 08:50 |  #3904

A premise and a question. The premise is that I am a very happy owner of an eos r. After a 40d and a 6d this is my first mirrorless and I really appreciate this new world.

And here comes the question: is there a way to have the evf (and screen) luminosity to adapt to the external luminosity? I mean: I like to have expo sim on, but moving from inside (e.g. an old church) to the outside (in the sun), I need to regulate the evf luminosity to adapt to the differences in light. While visiting (Italian) cities this is something to do often, and I do this manually, but was wondering if there is another, easier approach and if some of you, much more expert than me, find this annoying and found a solution.

Thanks

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,838 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 25, 2019 09:01 |  #3905

Gianpaolo wrote in post #18851290 (external link)
A premise and a question. The premise is that I am a very happy owner of an eos r. After a 40d and a 6d this is my first mirrorless and I really appreciate this new world.

And here comes the question: is there a way to have the evf (and screen) luminosity to adapt to the external luminosity? I mean: I like to have expo sim on, but moving from inside (e.g. an old church) to the outside (in the sun), I need to regulate the evf luminosity to adapt to the differences in light. While visiting (Italian) cities this is something to do often, and I do this manually, but was wondering if there is another, easier approach and if some of you, much more expert than me, find this annoying and found a solution.

Thanks

Is this something you can assign to the rocker switch?

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

DesolateMirror
347 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 25, 2019 10:15 |  #3906

Thanks

If that's not an automatic feature on mirrorless cameras yet it should be.

CallumRD1
426 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 25, 2019 10:43 |  #3907

Thanks

I can't say that I've experienced this problem. Every time I've raised the EVF to my eye, regardless of the ambient light, I've found it to be appropriately bright and clear. I've never had to change the EVF brightness in the settings menu.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Gianpaolo
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 3 months ago by Gianpaolo.

Apr 25, 2019 11:17 |  #3908

golfecho wrote in post #18851304 (external link)
Is this something you can assign to the rocker switch?

Just checked: no, this is not a function you can assign to the m-fn bar or to any button. There is only the possibility to have a button to raise (temporarily) the luminosity to the max.

The quickest workaround I found was to put the menu item to regulate the evf luminosity among the preferred ones.

@CallumRD1 so you never changed/adapted the evf luminosity? Which level you keep it? Have you set exposure simulation on? Sorry for bothering, but I am really trying to understand of it is me or the camera (again, just to clarify, it is a very minor issue and I like my R a lot! :-)

CallumRD1
426 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 25, 2019 11:41 as a reply to  @ Gianpaolo's post |  #3909

I do have exposure simulation enabled as I find it to be one of the most valuable features of the EOS R. As for the other settings, I'll check when I get home.

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,686 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 25, 2019 12:33 |  #3910

Still playing with the 100mm Macro non L version. My copy has an auto focus issue that hunts violently, i need to get it looked at but i have been too lazy and honestly i rather use this lens manually so i really don't care for the AF. With the Rs focus peaking, touch and drag af point and the triple triangle focus lock confirm it makes it even easier to focus with this lens manually.

IMAGE: http://i65.tinypic.com/1jamms.jpg

IMAGE: http://i66.tinypic.com/9vb22r.jpg

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

tim1970
670 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 25, 2019 13:06 |  #3911

Still loving the R. Used yesterday for a senior session.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32754962577_b76d1029e5_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RUrK​d6  (external link) Hunter-404 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47698237671_669e5ccc67_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2fEV​Wh8  (external link) Hunter-403 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40731809383_03cfe413fd_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/254k​aRz  (external link) Hunter-402 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

CallumRD1
426 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 25, 2019 20:53 |  #3912

Gianpaolo wrote in post #18851372 (external link)
Just checked: no, this is not a function you can assign to the m-fn bar or to any button. There is only the possibility to have a button to raise (temporarily) the luminosity to the max.

The quickest workaround I found was to put the menu item to regulate the evf luminosity among the preferred ones.

@CallumRD1 so you never changed/adapted the evf luminosity? Which level you keep it? Have you set exposure simulation on? Sorry for bothering, but I am really trying to understand of it is me or the camera (again, just to clarify, it is a very minor issue and I like my R a lot! :-)

I just checked my R. The display brightness (Settings menu 2) is set to the middle and I've never had to touch it. I couldn't find any other pertinent settings to check.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 25, 2019 21:01 |  #3913

tim1970 wrote in post #18851420 (external link)
Still loving the R. Used yesterday for a senior session.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RUrK​d6  (external link) Hunter-404 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2fEV​Wh8  (external link) Hunter-403 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/254k​aRz  (external link) Hunter-402 (external link) by Tim Richardson (external link), on Flickr

Those have a nice clean look, and maybe even better light than the ambient (as a guess).

Were you shooting with an umbrella over your head or shoulder?

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

tim1970
670 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 25, 2019 22:12 |  #3914

mdvaden wrote in post #18851591 (external link)
Those have a nice clean look, and maybe even better light than the ambient (as a guess).

Were you shooting with an umbrella over your head or shoulder?

Yep, I had a 48" round softbox over my left or right shoulder depending on the shot.

Gear

Flickr (external link) | Web Page (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,870 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 25, 2019 22:36 |  #3915

Bargain for Australian buyers

Georges:
Canon EOS R Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
Bonus EF-EOSR Mount Adapter
$2,408.00
(*After $200 cashback)

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

636,609 views & 11,162 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.