Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2019 (Saturday) 22:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Dx and 1Dx2 owners- help

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by umphotography. (2 edits in all)

Apr 27, 2019 22:19 |  #1

Does Anyone know why my 1Dx2 would switch from full raw to small Jpeg w/o making any changes in the camera ?

1/2 the files from my wedding today ( on the CF card) were small JPEG and I did not change the camera settings

I had all the raws on the back up C-fast card - so i imported those from the camera with the C-fast card in the camera slot and all the raws imported into LR

1/2 the files on the main CF card switched to small Jpeg and I have no idea why ?

Thanks for your help with this- I am baffled

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by umphotography.

Apr 27, 2019 22:46 |  #2

FYI...those small Jpeg files imported in at 1.75 Mb- You cant make a decent 8x10 with that small of a file....I have absolutly no clue how this could have happened

Another case for a 2 card camera and shooting full raw to both cards at the same time- especially for weddings

My Back up card just saved my arse

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2019 23:22 |  #3

Just read this at DP Review

cant figure out what button they are talking about. Had no clue the camera would do this. Used it since release and this is the first I have heard of this

Read
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/32643​43 (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,421 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 27, 2019 23:49 |  #4

It was the <func> button on the 1d4, I assume it was renamed on the DX series.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2019 01:04 |  #5

I use and have both of these bodies. If you accidentally (or purposely) hit the "Card/Image" selection button just to the left of the LCD screen that displays card #1 & #2 status then turn the "Quick Control Dial" just to the right of the main LCD screen you can change the shooting modes from RAW to JPEG, etc. If you have a 1D-X II manual in print or have it downloaded please review page #155 in the manual. It covers this operation in detail. I never liked this myself because if you accidentally hit the "Card/Image button at any time it will activate this mode in both models of the 1D-X and if your like me and have the Quick Control Dial programmed to adjust the shutter speed or aperture you can mess up your shooting mode. I haven't found a way to disable this function so now that I'm aware of it I try to keep my fat fingers away from the bottom left-hand corner of the camera so I don't touch the Card/Image selection button. Sorry you found this out the hard way......

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2019 08:01 |  #6

snowblower wrote in post #18852546 (external link)
I use and have both of these bodies. If you accidentally (or purposely) hit the "Card/Image" selection button just to the left of the LCD screen that displays card #1 & #2 status then turn the "Quick Control Dial" just to the right of the main LCD screen you can change the shooting modes from RAW to JPEG, etc. If you have a 1D-X II manual in print or have it downloaded please review page #155 in the manual. It covers this operation in detail. I never liked this myself because if you accidentally hit the "Card/Image button at any time it will activate this mode in both models of the 1D-X and if your like me and have the Quick Control Dial programmed to adjust the shutter speed or aperture you can mess up your shooting mode. I haven't found a way to disable this function so now that I'm aware of it I try to keep my fat fingers away from the bottom left-hand corner of the camera so I don't touch the Card/Image selection button. Sorry you found this out the hard way......

This appears to be what happened. I duplicated it last night when trying to figure out how it happened. I must have pushed that button by accident while i was turning the back wheel for adjusting the aperture when I was shooting.

Calling Canon Monday. according to what I have read, there may be a way to disable this

If you bump it, then it changes the CF card and not the C-fast. Thankfully, the C-fast had all the raws

OMG what a potential nightmare. been using 1Dx and 1Dx2 bodies since they came out...first time I have heard about this or experienced this

Why anyone would shoot a wedding with a non dual card camera without both cards recording full raw at the same time is mind boggling to me. I just got very lucky. The Small Jpeg files were 1.7-2.3 MB......too small.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2019 08:03 |  #7

^^^^^^^ 1Dx and 1Dx2 owners Be aware of this ^^^^^^^^^

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Scott_online
381 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 9 months ago by Scott_online.

Apr 28, 2019 08:14 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #8

This has happened to quite a few people. You can disable the button in C.Fn5. Set the 'Rec card, img size' setting to OFF.

flickr (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 28, 2019 08:48 |  #9

Scott_online wrote in post #18852665 (external link)
This has happened to quite a few people. You can disable the button in C.Fn5. Set the 'Rec card, img size setting' to OFF.

Thanks Scott

Just disabled it. 1st for me. I didnt know it could happen. Freaked out last night when I downloaded files

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 29, 2019 03:37 |  #10

You can also set that image quality button to open up the card/folder selection page in the menu, if you prefer that.
There are also three buttons that can be programmed to switch between different recording qualities as soon as you press them.

Anders

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,087 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Choderboy.

Apr 29, 2019 07:18 |  #11

I think I made this mistake a while ago. Did not think much of it.

Dave
Image editing OK

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2019 08:33 |  #12

apersson850 wrote in post #18853085 (external link)
You can also set that image quality button to open up the card/folder selection page in the menu, if you prefer that.
There are also three buttons that can be programmed to switch between different recording qualities as soon as you press them.

Honestly, I have been on the 1Dx and now the 1Dx2 since they were released. These bodies can do so many things with programming. I have pushed that button many many times and watched the window. It never did anything so I have just ignored it for all these years. The way its programmed from the factory, you have to spin the back wheel and press button at same time to make the change occur..Recipe for an accident to occur for busy people who use these bodies..Now that this happened. I have it turned off entirely.....seems to me after researching this , that people find out the hard way what this button is actually used for. A tough way to find out how this works for sure.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,421 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 29, 2019 09:02 |  #13

I try to run through the manual at least once so I can understand the camera when I get one. Anybody can use the camera in its factory configuration, but I feel as a paid pro, I should know more about the camera than the casual or prosumer user. Just a habit of mine anyways, good or bad.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2019 11:19 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18853179 (external link)
I try to run through the manual at least once so I can understand the camera when I get one. Anybody can use the camera in its factory configuration, but I feel as a paid pro, I should know more about the camera than the casual or prosumer user. Just a habit of mine anyways, good or bad.

Yes I agree

I do the same. I have settings that I program into the cameras as soon as get the body. Been using these settings for years on the 1D bodies. I have never used that bottom window on the 1Dx systems and I have never had a need to use the button. There are Lots of functions on the camera that as a paid pro (who makes an awesome living with the equipment)......That I dont use

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2019 12:50 |  #15

Scott_online wrote in post #18852665 (external link)
This has happened to quite a few people. You can disable the button in C.Fn5. Set the 'Rec card, img size' setting to OFF.

Thanks Scott, didn't know this but going to change it in both bodies I own. Not really sure why Canon did this but I think it's more dangerous to have it this way then useful.

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

sponsored links

1,405 views & 6 likes for this thread
1Dx and 1Dx2 owners- help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.