Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 05 Jan 2019 (Saturday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Never Thought I Would Leave Canon

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 24, 2019 23:14 |  #31

I still have the 5D4 but it does not come out of the storage often.
Sony A7III with a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 took its place.
There has been a learning curve, definitely. Too many buttons and menus.
Eye focus is magic.

bag

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,462 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 25, 2019 01:12 |  #32

Deardorff wrote in post #18850772 (external link)
So, did you make the switch?

Have a number of friends who have gone to Sony. Many of them have gone back to what they used before for two main reasons. Sony was not comfortable to use because of its body design and its menu system.

Both the Canon and Nikon shooters who tried and dumped the Sony gear went either to Fuji or back to what they had before - the brand, if not the specific bodies. Handling was the main complaint, the Sony bodies they tried just were not comfortable in use.

I still use my Canon 5dmk3/4. I would also entertain buying the 5dmk5 if it ever comes out. Not sure what improvements they could do except faster processor and new sensor tech.

Menu system I'll use any camera brand. We are all capable human beings able to learn menu's. Once you setup a customized "favourite" folder or whatever the brand calls it.....we are all good to go!

I prefer my Canon 16-35 f/2.8mk2 for sunflare/flash bursts over my Sony GMaster 16-35 f/2.8. Being brand agnostic I feel I will benefit in some form or another in whatever system I use.

In good light i'll use my Fuji for nice files and many lenses are silent in AF. Same holds for Sony with Sony glass being quiet. My Canon is buzzy and you can always hear the af motor when shooting video clips (my limited video application).

What I will regret is if I sold my Canon or Sony for my preferences in specific applications. Any camera I use is a joy to use with dials or buttons. I just won't glamorize how photography is elevated to a new found level of joy due to ergonomics....give me a shutter button, essential controls and a view finder and I'm good to go!! I'm more concerned of file quality for my preference. Everybody has a preference. If I want to lug a tiny camera I'll do so. If I choose to bring the 5dmk3/4 around I'll shoot away and be pleased when I download the files from the memory card :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,311 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 25, 2019 08:10 |  #33

AlanU wrote in post #18851187 (external link)
I still use my Canon 5dmk3/4. I would also entertain buying the 5dmk5 if it ever comes out. Not sure what improvements they could do except faster processor and new sensor tech....

I think we just saw the 5D5, it's called the EOS-R. :):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,462 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 25, 2019 09:42 |  #34

gjl711 wrote in post #18851279 (external link)
I think we just saw the 5D5, it's called the EOS-R. :):)

ߘ

I need dual cards 0ߘ

But I"ll happily wait for the Pro version. I still have little to NO AF hunting in low contrast/light using a mirrored body when bouncing flash one shot mode during events.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 25, 2019 10:48 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #35

Canon reps themselves were claiming the R is intended as a side-grade to RF lenses.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

ra40
861 posts
Gallery: 342 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 29, 2019 03:45 |  #36

I came into a conversation while at the lab the other day, this shooter does performing arts for various theater productions in the area. He was a Canon shooter that went to Sony. He was commenting that he was on the hunt again. He was concerned about what he could sell the Sony gear for. He didn't know what system he would use.

Much sympathy because I went through a similar scenario going from Bronica 645 to a Canon 5D. The value of film gear at that point was hard.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,945 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Apr 29, 2019 12:40 |  #37

If I was still shooting performing arts a lot a few years back I likely would have jumped on SONY.
That said, after doing most of my performing arts shooting over ten years ago, (When Canon digital was still by far the best option) ...now shooting 5D4 with the night and day improvement over the previous gen, I would have no reason to switch.
5D4 is simply amazing for low light performing arts work. It never fails to amaze me.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Airedale1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,013 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 29, 2019 13:27 |  #38

Deardorff wrote in post #18850772 (external link)
So, did you make the switch?

Have a number of friends who have gone to Sony. Many of them have gone back to what they used before for two main reasons. Sony was not comfortable to use because of its body design and its menu system.

Both the Canon and Nikon shooters who tried and dumped the Sony gear went either to Fuji or back to what they had before - the brand, if not the specific bodies. Handling was the main complaint, the Sony bodies they tried just were not comfortable in use.

Yes, I did. I just got the camera on the day you posted this (4/24). So far, I am loving it and given that you referenced body design, I will tell you that I love the ergonomics. It really feels great in my hand. Here is one of the first images I took with it.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/ByyD0Sf.jpg

Sony RX10 M4
Canon S90

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 30, 2019 23:20 |  #39

Airedale1 wrote in post #18785389 (external link)
I never thought I would leave Canon and I really don't want to.
I am a tad over 65 years old. I have been a Canon shooter my whole life. I started off with Canon film bodies and when digital came on the scene I bought a Canon G1 back in 2000. Over the years I kept updating starting with a Canon Pro1 then bought a 20D, then a 40D, next a 7D and finally a 7D MKII. During those years, bit by bit I bought the best glass that I could afford and at one point my kit included the 2 last bodies mentioned here along with a Canon 50mm F1.4, a Canon 17-40 f4.0L, Canon 70-200 f4.0L IS and my pride and joy a Canon 400 f5.6L along with a lot other Canon accessories, e.g., flash, etc.

I was very happy with my kit and very comfortable using it. Then I fell on some hard times financially and had to sell it all off with the exception of my Canon S90. So, now things are better and I still hunger to shoot. I am retired now and on a fixed income and I realize that not only would reamassing the same level of gear be cost prohibitive for me but is probably not even the best course for me to pursue.

I recently read an article about bridge cameras and it piqued my interest. So, now I am trying to learn all that I can about the Sony RX10 M4 and I am really impressed by it.

Am I correct that Canon has nothing even remotely like this? I am primarily a bird photographer. Does anyone know if Canon has anything in the works that might compete with the Sony? I really want to stick with Canon but the Sony checks so many boxes for my needs and I just don't know of a Canon alternative. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Only thing I can say to that is to each his own. I would never leave Canon because I have to much money tied up in my Canon gear. The only way I am leaving is they go out of business.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

May 04, 2019 13:38 |  #40

I went half-way to Sony, adding an A7iii as a second body to my 5D mkIII. After a few months of editing side by side in Lightroom, I went all in with Sony. I was just having a better SOOC experience with them, even before I get to Lightroom. I still love my L glass (though I recently picked up the Sony 24 - 70 because the AF is just so much faster with it). It's sad, and I do feel a little bad, as Canon did right by me for several years. But they're just is not keeping up on innovation the way Sony is.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,462 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 04, 2019 16:54 |  #41

AlFooteIII wrote in post #18856114 (external link)
I went half-way to Sony, adding an A7iii as a second body to my 5D mkIII. After a few months of editing side by side in Lightroom, I went all in with Sony. I was just having a better SOOC experience with them, even before I get to Lightroom. I still love my L glass (though I recently picked up the Sony 24 - 70 because the AF is just so much faster with it). It's sad, and I do feel a little bad, as Canon did right by me for several years. But they're just is not keeping up on innovation the way Sony is.

If you went for a 5dmk4 you'd really see a difference in how the files "feel" while you manipulate in LR. The 5dmk3 had the same image quality as the 5dmk2 I had. I will say the 5dmk4 has been a pleasure in using and when it comes to fast editing.

As far as the A7iii is concerned I'm going to say it's a different beast. The images are fierce as far as contrast and sharpness is concerned. Colour science was very different in how I manipulate in LR. I'm being serious and say I'm waiting for my shutter to explode!!! Seems IMO Sony should be doing a silent recall as there are more shutters failing compared to almost any canon.

As you can see I'm just diving into Sony gear but in due time I'll be going RF glass with the newer Gen Canon FF mirrorless.

If anything I'll very likely be sticking with Canon and Sony and dropping my Fuji gear. The fuji gear is very nice but as far my personal preference in my standards in IQ my future might gravitate to the GFX line vs the Fuji aps-c gear. With my Canon and Sony I put little thought in low light photography for great IQ. My Fuji is dedicated to my good light non challenging light enjoyment only.

I will say I couldn't drop my Canon for Sony alone. The render between the two is still very different.

Fuji - gone

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,735 posts
Gallery: 916 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

May 10, 2019 19:09 |  #42

I just have. Sold my 5diii and an arsenal of lenses and for the time being I'm happy with my new baby Fujifilm X-T3 ( I know it's a crop for my travel etc) and depending on other factors I may add something else. Don't know what yet, maybe Sony a7iii or 7Riii. SAtill having withdrawal symptoms but I'm really falling for this little Fuji thingy.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

ra40
861 posts
Gallery: 342 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 10, 2019 19:50 |  #43

Congrats Renata! Looking forward to your images taken with the Fuji.:-)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,735 posts
Joined Jan 2015

May 11, 2019 11:17 |  #44

ra40 wrote in post #18859558 (external link)
Congrats Renata! Looking forward to your images taken with the Fuji.:-)

Thank you ra40. Still learning the new menu, customizing it to my needs. My biggest issue right now is assigning one of the buttons to become the BBF button and I can't figure it out. Watching a lot of YouTube stuff on it with no luck.
I will post something soon.

Renata
500px (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
9,735 posts
Joined Jan 2015

May 11, 2019 11:38 |  #45

Still figuring things out! Quite a learning curve but I'm determined and slowly plowing trough, customizing my menu.
Shot and orchid in my kitchen.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Renata
500px (external link)

sponsored links

4,712 views & 30 likes for this thread
I Never Thought I Would Leave Canon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.