Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 May 2019 (Wednesday) 04:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to photography

xCanon600Dx
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2019

May 01, 2019 04:24 |  #1

Hi Everyone,

New to this page and the world of photography. I have recently purchased a Canon 600D to get started with & with its original lens kit. Just after some advice/tips & tricks on how to get started and how to get the best out of this camera. Im totally new to all of this and want it to become a hobby! :D

sponsored links
rwmson
518 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 01, 2019 06:33 |  #2

Welcome to the club. There are a lot of photography tutorials and videos out there. Just Google "photography tutorial" and you will find lots of articles to choose from.

yeah, I gots some stuff.

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 01, 2019 06:38 |  #3

Look over this: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

Then play with The SLR Camera Simulator to see how adjustments affect your images: http://camerasim.com/c​amera-simulator/ (external link) Notice that when you change the Aperture, (the F-number f/x.x), the Shutter Speed changes. This is what happens when you're in an "Auto" setting like Av, Tv, P, etc.
Click on "Snap Photo" to see what happens. Definitions are at the bottom.

21 Settings, Techniques and Rules All New Camera Owners Should Know (external link)

And since you have a car in your avatar, check out the links in my Sig, too. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

duckster
755 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined May 2017

May 01, 2019 07:28 |  #4

I learned a lot from YouTube, just watching videos on various topics and then going out and trying to repeat some of the suggestions on my own camera.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 01, 2019 08:27 |  #5

Learn how the Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO work together. Learn about exposure and composition. There is a good start.

Post processing is part of digital photography so check that out as well but not critical at the start. Not sure if you plan to shoot using RAW format but that will expand post processing capabilities. Nothing wrong with Jpeg to start out.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 01, 2019 08:29 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

You can take lots of good photos just using the automatic mode on modern cameras. But of course learning how to control things manually and what that can do for you means a lot. It may seem like settings are redundant but they aren't.

Photography can be pretty complicated really. It may be worth your time to take a class at a university or whatever. Just be sure they actually teach photography skills instead of photography as art. There is nothing wrong with learning photography as art but they assume you already know the basics of photography.

I have no doubt there are some really good tutorials available. But I do wonder how complete they can be. I took a 3 hours a week, 4 month photography class about 100 years ago (maybe it just seems that long). There is a lot to learn. But even a short course can be a big benefit. It all depends on how deep you want to go. FWIW there was a second course on the subject I could have taken. Some people here will know all the stuff they would have taught in the second class. But we were using cameras with no automatic settings, film and a dark room. Then again learning how to use the right software is something that will be a big benefit now.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 01, 2019 08:38 |  #7

xCanon600Dx wrote in post #18854200 (external link)
Hi Everyone,

New to this page and the world of photography. I have recently purchased a Canon 600D to get started with & with its original lens kit. Just after some advice/tips & tricks on how to get started and how to get the best out of this camera. Im totally new to all of this and want it to become a hobby! :D

Hey!

Welcome to the forum. . What's your name?

What are you interested in taking pictures of? . Wild birds and animals? . People? . Sporting events? . Air shows? . Buildings and monuments? . Something else? . It'd be cool to know what you are most interested in photographing.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 01, 2019 08:39 |  #8

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18854295 (external link)
You can take lots of good photos just using the automatic mode on modern cameras. But of course learning how to control things manually and what that can do for you means a lot. It may seem like settings are redundant but they aren't.

Photography can be pretty complicated really. It may be worth your time to take a class at a university or whatever. Just be sure they actually teach photography skills instead of photography as art. There is nothing wrong with learning photography as art but they assume you already know the basics of photography.

I have no doubt there are some really good tutorials available. But I do wonder how complete they can be. I took a 3 hours a week, 4 month photography class about 100 years ago (maybe it just seems that long). There is a lot to learn. But even a short course can be a big benefit. It all depends on how deep you want to go. FWIW there was a second course on the subject I could have taken. Some people here will know all the stuff they would have taught in the second class. But we were using cameras with no automatic settings, film and a dark room. Then again learning how to use the right software is something that will be a big benefit now.

Yes I took several which included both camera basics and PP. When I shot film using an SLR I pretty much shot in Program mode all of the time. Film roll shooting was too expensive to experiment with, for me anyway.

Many years ago when I was in my Ansel Adams phase I did shoot manually when working with my 4 by 5 field camera. I was only developing a few negatives at a time. A refresher on the basics was a good move when I got into DSLR's.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

xCanon600Dx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2019

May 01, 2019 09:11 |  #9

Thanks for all the information. gonna start researching and watching youtube tutorials. Appreciate all your help :-)

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by Jeff_56. (2 edits in all)

May 01, 2019 09:12 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

If you could work in a dark room you could see which photos were worth printing. It saved a good bit of money. I worked with a twin lens reflex in those days. It took some good photos with the larger film.I don't even remember what size it was. I'm thinking it was medium format but it's been so long I can't remember. I think it was 120 but I can't be sure at this point.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 01, 2019 09:22 |  #11

When I first learned, I used auto mode, reviewed the settings the camera chose, then went to manual mode and first replicated the settings then changed a setting at a time to see the impacts. Learned a lot quickly that way personally.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Canon ­ Amateur
275 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 01, 2019 10:05 |  #12

Started with a Canon 400D (Rebel XTi) with 18-55 kitlens.
Put the mode dial on Green Box and did my very best to fill the 8GB CF-Card.
Back at home I copied the pictures to my laptop and watched them all.
Found out that some pictures were not what I thought they should be.
Learned that I could leave the Green Box and use Tv and/or Av.
Googled all the Internet to find out what I could (should) do.
Found this forum.
Tried to replicate the pictures shown here.
Read the comments to learn (a lot!) and got inspired to look at the world with different eyes.
Dared to ask questions here an POTN.
Bought a 55-250 USM lens.
Went to the soccer games in my village.
Bought a 16GB CF -Card because the 8GB was not enough.
Found out about Raw (cr2).
Bought a second 16Gb CF-Card :-)
Practiced, practiced, practiced, for a year or 3, 4.
Encountered the limits of the 400D.
Upgraded the body.
Practiced, practiced, practiced, for another year.
upgraded the lens.
(repeat the last three indefinitely)

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

i-G12
Wat?
1,820 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 01, 2019 10:30 |  #13

Welcome to the asylum.

There is no cure.

Medication is on Thursdays.

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 01, 2019 11:19 |  #14

Hi and Welcome, it's a vast world out there, enjoy ! Lots of really valuable information on this forum, I've learned a lot over the past several years.

All New Year, All New Sig !

xCanon600Dx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2019

Jul 08, 2019 06:12 |  #15

Thanks for all the info guys. Iv messed around with the camera now and took it on holiday etc. i love taking close up shots/ macra and portraits, blurring background etc. Which lens would you guys recommend to upgrade to ?:-D

sponsored links

1,139 views & 18 likes for this thread
New to photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.