Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Jhap33
588 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2009

May 01, 2019 18:29 as a reply to  @ post 18853843 |  #3991

When did they go on sale ? their on sale for $2899 right now.

EOS R *EF 24-105 f4 * 70-200 f2.8 II L* 35 f2 IS * 40 f2.8 * 85 f1.8 * 100 f2.8 L *
-=6DII *5D2* 6D* 60D* T2i*24-105 f4 II L *24-70 f2.8 L * 35L * ∑ 17-50 f2.8 OS * Canon 50 f1.4* ∑ 50 f1.4 Sold *=-

sponsored links
equetefue
Goldmember
1,381 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jun 2006

May 01, 2019 19:06 |  #3992

Anyone know what does enabling Continuous AF under the AF and how that would be helpful?

http://www.Photo-Galleria.com (external link)

Powered By Canon
EOS R l 5D MkIV l 5D l 500mm f4 L IS l RF 24-105mm f4 L l 50mm f1.8 l 17-40mm f4 L l 135mm f2 L l 70-200mm f2.8 L IS l 400mm f5.6 L l 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 1.4x III l EF 2.0x III l 580EX II l Feisol CF tripod l Wimberly Head II with F9 Bracket l Better Beamer l GP-E2

kmilo
386 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 01, 2019 19:07 |  #3993

camera focuses all the time ... no, not helpful ... really annoying mostly :)

equetefue wrote in post #18854569 (external link)
Anyone know what does enabling Continuous AF under the AF and how that would be helpful?

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

N2bnfunn
690 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 01, 2019 20:01 |  #3994

angelIV wrote in post #18853843 (external link)
I bought mine last week now it’s 200 lower!! Good thing Best Buy has a price guarantee for 15 days.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by angelIV in
./showthread.php?p=188​53843&i=i81843889
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Hey AngellV this is what I wanted to ask you, I see you have both the EOS R and the Sony how would you compared them?

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

prime80
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 01, 2019 20:15 |  #3995

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18854089 (external link)
Welcome aboard MATE.

Thanks!

John
EOS R, 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF-S 10-18 IS STM, 580EX II, EOS M
Full Gear List

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,978 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 01, 2019 22:53 |  #3996

Nothing fancy ... just one of various photos in the redwood forest from last weekend. I had lights, but think this one is just ambient.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,136 posts
Gallery: 394 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2019 02:52 |  #3997

A few shots from today's run down to Volcanoes National Park and the Kilauea crater

"Old School" Selfie, with a tripod and 10 second shutter delay

HOSTED PHOTO

The crater is HUGE just barely able to get it in a single frame with the EF 11-22mm F4L!

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

Amazing how plants can take root and begin to colonize after a flow

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

Green sea turtle at the Punalu'u black sand beach

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Cano EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

russbecker
247 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2019 05:18 |  #3998

"Old School" Selfie, with a tripod and 10 second shutter delay

That is how I do it as well. Even had someone ask me at Yellowstone what I was doing; they had never seen someone do a 'selfie' in that manner.

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,894 posts
Gallery: 704 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by MatthewK. (6 edits in all)

May 02, 2019 05:52 |  #3999

Lot's of good with this camera, but I'm also finding that not everything is rosey either. This might be a case of "who cares", but I thought I'd share:

Yesterday, I picked up the R for the first time in a few weeks, and really smacked in the face by how fiddly the ergos are, and how it isn't a camera I can just pick up and immediately+thoughtles​sly employ. There's just no flow with how this camera is arranged. In no particular order:

A) the wasted real estate that is the touch bar. No matter what I try, there's just nothing that this feature does for me, so I've disabled it and subsequently have a blank spot that could be used by something else.

B) the placement of the AF-On/AF-Point selection/* buttons. Too jumbled together, and quite often I'm hitting the wrong button. In fast shooting situations, I'm having to glance down at the buttons to make sure I'm hitting the right one. Get rid of the bar, and spread out the three buttons horizontally in it's place.

C) the way in which you access sub menus using the Mf-Fn button (out by the shutter button). This is a mess. Hit the Mf-Fn button, you can adjust frame rate/AF mode/EC, etc. Hit that button another time, and it lets you choose AF area mode. But, there's no indication (visual or otherwise) of which menu you will get when you go to hit that Mf-Fn button. Big ergonomic flaw.

D) info displayed along edges of viewfinder/screen. This one is more minor, but is there a way to add/remove things I don't want to see? It's very jumbled. Along with the usual Av/Tv/ISO, I just want to see if I'm in One Shot/Servo, Single Shot or Burst.

If I "set it and forget it", and just work on taking photos, only adjusting Aperture/Shutter/EC via Control Ring/AF point using Touch-Drag, then the camera performs well, but when it comes time to delve into sub-menus or make a quick change, my work flow is interrupted because I have to double check that I'm in the right place in the interface. A camera's ergos should not be something that get in the way. Canon has normally been the gold standard in this arena, but for me this camera is off the mark. I'm going to stick with the R for the rest of the year and continue to give the ergos a fair shake and hopefully figure out a setup that cuts down on the fiddly-ness.

well that didn't last long...

Lt ­ Colonel
647 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 02, 2019 06:07 as a reply to  @ post 18851883 |  #4000

Thank you for sharing that.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 02, 2019 07:33 |  #4001

MatthewK wrote in post #18854754 (external link)
Lot's of good with this camera, but I'm also finding that not everything is rosey either. This might be a case of "who cares", but I thought I'd share:

Yesterday, I picked up the R for the first time in a few weeks, and really smacked in the face by how fiddly the ergos are, and how it isn't a camera I can just pick up and immediately+thoughtles​sly employ. There's just no flow with how this camera is arranged. In no particular order:

A) the wasted real estate that is the touch bar. No matter what I try, there's just nothing that this feature does for me, so I've disabled it and subsequently have a blank spot that could be used by something else.

B) the placement of the AF-On/AF-Point selection/* buttons. Too jumbled together, and quite often I'm hitting the wrong button. In fast shooting situations, I'm having to glance down at the buttons to make sure I'm hitting the right one. Get rid of the bar, and spread out the three buttons horizontally in it's place.

C) the way in which you access sub menus using the Mf-Fn button (out by the shutter button). This is a mess. Hit the Mf-Fn button, you can adjust frame rate/AF mode/EC, etc. Hit that button another time, and it lets you choose AF area mode. But, there's no indication (visual or otherwise) of which menu you will get when you go to hit that Mf-Fn button. Big ergonomic flaw.

D) info displayed along edges of viewfinder/screen. This one is more minor, but is there a way to add/remove things I don't want to see? It's very jumbled. Along with the usual Av/Tv/ISO, I just want to see if I'm in One Shot/Servo, Single Shot or Burst.

If I "set it and forget it", and just work on taking photos, only adjusting Aperture/Shutter/EC via Control Ring/AF point using Touch-Drag, then the camera performs well, but when it comes time to delve into sub-menus or make a quick change, my work flow is interrupted because I have to double check that I'm in the right place in the interface. A camera's ergos should not be something that get in the way. Canon has normally been the gold standard in this arena, but for me this camera is off the mark. I'm going to stick with the R for the rest of the year and continue to give the ergos a fair shake and hopefully figure out a setup that cuts down on the fiddly-ness.

May I ask how long you've used it? I had the same feelings and returned mine, but just got another after the price drop because of missing some aspects of it and comments here that it took a few months to become really acclimated to the controls. Which may not be how it should be, but I did enjoy many aspects of it and would like if I can happily use it for travel.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 1 month ago by Pondrader.

May 02, 2019 07:48 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #4002

Your absolutely right Matt.. The Canon EOS R is the future not the past…. You had better get use to the natural progression of things to come as your SLR is a thing of the past.
Mirrorless is taking over at an alarming rate. Worrying about buttons you like or dislike is a moot point. If it was exactly the same as a 7DII or 80D I'm sure someone would be on about that too.

I run this camera with four buttons and never have to look up or chimp to see if I exposed correctly, because I seen it was as I was shooting the image… No longer do I have to spend half my day being that guy staring at the back of my camera trying to decipher if things are ok. I enjoy the touch screen and never want to be without it ever again with all its access to the camera functions. As for the information around the outside edge on the viewfinder I find it invaluable. Its stuff I need including the histogram and the level and grid.

As for waisted real estate… There are buttons on the SLR's that I never used the entire time I shot the cameras like the raw/jpeg on the 7D or the picture style button or rate button on the MkII.. I mean do you ever spend the time to rate you images as you shot.. I'm sure someone did but I sure didn't.

I don't know… Maybe I'm a little more willing to learn and embrace the future because personally I like this camera and I don't want it to be anything like the cameras of the past..

A little spring weather causing the fog off the ice on a rainy day..

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

May 02, 2019 08:11 |  #4003

I'm gonna miss winter….. Maybe I just like shooting deer portraits with the EOS R

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 02, 2019 08:25 |  #4004

Pondrader wrote in post #18854796 (external link)
I'm gonna miss winter….. Maybe I just like shooting deer portraits with the EOS R
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=188​54796&i=i25775812
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

That's just crazy talk.

Any temperature under 65* American is unsuitable for human habitation. One of my problems with Texas is the cold winters.  :p

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

venghous1
49 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2016

May 02, 2019 08:32 |  #4005

Thinking about getting the canon 70-200 is iii 2.8.... any one used this on the control ring adapter ? How did it work? I have the tamron version 2.8 70-200... and it seems to violently hunt for focus and make a ton of noise????... with that said, I haven’t played with it much... I think part of that problem was my big ol nose hitting the touch screen on the back and it’s trying to move focus point. I may need to adjust how I hold and position the r.

sponsored links

477,347 views & 10,076 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.