Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Lame-Duck
I have indeed had pine nuts
19,458 posts
Gallery: 875 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 02, 2019 19:18 |  #21391

Archibald wrote in post #18854868 (external link)
I have similar feelings about mirrorless, and the concomitant shift to greater emphasis on FF compared to crop. Crop today is already way more than we need for displaying on screen, which is what we do 99% of the time. Back when digital was first coming in, my initial thought was that there should be no mirror any more, and that the mirror was just conservative carry-over from film cameras. It takes time to adapt to new technology, to fully exploit its advantages. So now we are at that point. But as you say, there are downsides, and battery use is one of those.

I don't know about the impact on the environment. How would that compare to flying or even driving to photogenic locations?

I tend to be a bit late adapting to new technology. I was a bit late getting into digital, because at the time I rationalized that film had advantages. Film resolution was just as good as digital back in 2005, and there was less risk of highlights getting clipped. If you wanted digital, just scan the film image. Best of both worlds. I was a bit late in appreciating the improvements in the new generations of lenses, rationalizing that the existing stuff must be just as good. Now we are at the beginnings of mirrorless, and it seems to me that the advantages are not significant and there are those disadvantages too. What am I overlooking?

I'm still not jumping. I will wait a year or two and see.

Well written Archi. I find myself agreeing with you on pretty much everything you mentioned. I've been saving for quite some time now, and just dropped the hammer on a new 1DXii. I honestly wanted to go with the Sony a9, but being an old man, there's just not enough time left to learn an entirely new system and become proficient at using it. The 7Dii has been a dream camera for me, and now I'll have Canon's best full frame camera to shoot along side of my 7Dii.

If I were a younger person, with better short term memory,:-( I definitely would take the leap to mirrorless. Change does come slowly, and as much as I feel that mirrorless cameras will eventually be taking over the market, I feel that our DSLR's will be around for quite some time.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
Lame-Duck
I have indeed had pine nuts
19,458 posts
Gallery: 875 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 02, 2019 19:23 |  #21392

photograma wrote in post #18855019 (external link)
This camera has to last me a lonnng time so i better love it..and i do :lol:

You do shoot that camera very well, Dian. These two shots are really wonderful.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Gallery: 546 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 02, 2019 19:58 |  #21393

Lame-Duck wrote in post #18855148 (external link)
Well written Archi. I find myself agreeing with you on pretty much everything you mentioned. I've been saving for quite some time now, and just dropped the hammer on a new 1DXii. I honestly wanted to go with the Sony a9, but being an old man, there's just not enough time left to learn an entirely new system and become proficient at using it. The 7Dii has been a dream camera for me, and now I'll have Canon's best full frame camera to shoot along side of my 7Dii.

If I were a younger person, with better short term memory,:-( I definitely would take the leap to mirrorless. Change does come slowly, and as much as I feel that mirrorless cameras will eventually be taking over the market, I feel that our DSLR's will be around for quite some time.

Crop and FF make a great team!

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

photograma
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 02, 2019 21:39 as a reply to  @ Lame-Duck's post |  #21394

Thank you,i feel like im getting used to it now.that first week i had it was pretty intimidating

AKA Dian

Bkopperl
874 posts
Gallery: 691 photos
Joined Jan 2006

May 02, 2019 23:35 as a reply to  @ Lame-Duck's post |  #21395

I moved from the 7DII to the 1DXII and regret nothing. There just something about full frame.

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
8,258 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 03, 2019 00:12 |  #21396

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 1DIV, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped, 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 300 2.8, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

CyberCat
726 posts
Gallery: 221 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2012

May 03, 2019 00:42 |  #21397

Archibald wrote in post #18854868 (external link)

I don't know about the impact on the environment. How would that compare to flying or even driving to photogenic locations?

Might sound stupid but since I have seen and read some documentaries about how harmful is travelling to our environment and how many attractions are destroyed due to the many tourists visiting them I started to limit myself to my living area. Anybody can make a good but boring picture of famous buildings and locations while we are overlooking the simple beauties we might have at the next corner.
With the low cost flights and cheap motels many people travel and just run through cities to be able to make and post as many selfies as possible to show off. in the old days people appreciated travelling more, they had to save money for it, they had more time to enjoy the stay because it was not important to post on social media, pictures were made to make memories.

CyberCat

russbecker
364 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 03, 2019 06:00 |  #21398

The selfie crowd will drive you nuts at one of our national parks. Many think nothing of jumping in front of you while you try to compose a picture. I take the ones I need and then get out of the way so others can have their go at it.

Most of my pictures are taken on our property, which I have allowed to overgrow so as to create wildlife habitat. This one was taken on a gloomy morning... Common Yellowthroat aka The Masked Bandit.

HOSTED PHOTO

7D2 | 80D | Fuji X-H1 | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Fuji XF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Neewer X 25mm f/1.8 | Neewer X 32mm f/1.6

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,305 posts
Gallery: 362 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Dec 2005

May 03, 2019 06:40 |  #21399

Decided to take a little drive today, took these out of the car window, a beautiful day, its autumn here :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

photograma
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 03, 2019 15:50 |  #21400

love it when spring returns

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

AKA Dian

RodS57
Goldmember
1,085 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 03, 2019 19:25 |  #21401

russbecker wrote in post #18855369 (external link)
The selfie crowd will drive you nuts at one of our national parks. Many think nothing of jumping in front of you while you try to compose a picture. I take the ones I need and then get out of the way so others can have their go at it.

Most of my pictures are taken on our property, which I have allowed to overgrow so as to create wildlife habitat. This one was taken on a gloomy morning... Common Yellowthroat aka The Masked Bandit.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by russbecker in
./showthread.php?p=188​55369&i=i187291416
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Well, no selfie crowds here but I did experience it at Niagara Falls two years ago. Not something I'd want to deal with very often. I like to be surrounded by trees, not people.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

RodS57
Goldmember
1,085 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 03, 2019 19:27 |  #21402

aladyforty wrote in post #18855384 (external link)
Decided to take a little drive today, took these out of the car window, a beautiful day, its autumn here :-)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by aladyforty in
./showthread.php?p=188​55384&i=i2660180

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by aladyforty in
./showthread.php?p=188​55384&i=i176236243

Like the lighting, especially the first one.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

equetefue
Goldmember
1,603 posts
Gallery: 230 photos
Joined Jun 2006

May 03, 2019 19:29 as a reply to  @ Lame-Duck's post |  #21403

Congrats! I want to replace the 5d4 with the 1dx2 but really holding off for the 7d3

http://www.Photo-Galleria.com (external link)