Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 03, 2019 11:10 |  #4051

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18855475 (external link)
It's funny how some have chosen to somehow magically relegate the R to some sort of magical "non-pro" level/status when the xxD line is clearly aimed at the prosumer customer and the R stands clearly above the xxD line. The R is clearly not a Tx(i) type of device that has always been Canon's "consumer" lineup. The R is clearly a pro camera as much as the 6DII was/is even though the Mk IV is in the lineup at a higher level feature-wise. As far as I'm concerned, the RP fits the same bill.

By that type of argument, the Mk IV is clearly not a "pro" camera because it's not a 1DX. The looking down noses at people just because they didn't write as big of a check as you did is getting tired and long of tooth and it's not a good look. The proof is in the pictures. Period.

"Pro" is a word that has become a thought-terminating cliché for many in the past few years, in all sorts of arenas even further than photography. It's convenient in that it sounds definitive, but isn't, so the definition can match whatever the speaker's biases are.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

sponsored links
wxjef
67 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2019

May 03, 2019 13:34 |  #4052

RodS57 wrote in post #18855486 (external link)
Looks like you should have built a dual boot machine. I haven't had to deal with CR3 files yet but I am taking baby steps with the linux raw editors.

Rod

Was a separate box I built specifically for Linux :)

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

May 03, 2019 16:09 as a reply to  @ wxjef's post |  #4053

bffs

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 03, 2019 17:02 |  #4054

yesssss

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,970 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Jul 2005

May 03, 2019 18:33 |  #4055

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18855475 (external link)
It's funny how some have chosen to somehow magically relegate the R to some sort of magical "non-pro" level/status when the xxD line is clearly aimed at the prosumer customer and the R stands clearly above the xxD line. The R is clearly not a Tx(i) type of device that has always been Canon's "consumer" lineup. The R is clearly a pro camera as much as the 6DII was/is even though the Mk IV is in the lineup at a higher level feature-wise. As far as I'm concerned, the RP fits the same bill.

By that type of argument, the Mk IV is clearly not a "pro" camera because it's not a 1DX. The looking down noses at people just because they didn't write as big of a check as you did is getting tired and long of tooth and it's not a good look. The proof is in the pictures. Period.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word magical.

I think it's funny how some have decided to contradict what the top product-planning executive within Canon, Inc has stated.
I can understand voicing an opinion that Canon's description of the product they made is either overstated or understated. Anyone doing so would not be magical. That would just be expressing an opinion. To use the terms Canon uses is just logical.

If not, why not call the 5D a 1D and call a 1D a 2D? Or refer to the 70-200 extender and the MP-E65 microscope? Or the EF 85 1.8 opening USM?

Dave
Image editing OK

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by Nickc84.

May 03, 2019 18:56 |  #4056

My battery had no juice in it. My 7d, 5d ii, 5diii, 6d all had a small charge already. The camera wouldn't even power on. Is this how they do it now?

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,970 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined Jul 2005

May 03, 2019 19:08 as a reply to  @ Nickc84's post |  #4057

No. Mine powered on out of the box.
It's most common for devices to ship with 40% charge.
Canon designs in a large safety margin, ie camera won't turn on long before battery charge has become so low the battery could be damaged.
I think they design camera to switch off / not turn on at about 30% charge level.

Dave
Image editing OK

RodS57
884 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 03, 2019 19:12 |  #4058

wxjef wrote in post #18855551 (external link)
Was a separate box I built specifically for Linux :)

In the spirit of not hijacking this thread this will be short.

I have been using Linux full time since 2001 and wouldn't go back to windows cripple-ware. It comes up short in too many areas. That being said, things like the current situation with the CR3 files means it is wise to at least have access to windows or a mac. So, dual boot is one very good option - almost the best of both worlds.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by Nickc84.

May 03, 2019 19:14 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #4059

it's charging now around 2 blinks after 1.5 hrs. kinda bummed. Always something

gb_eh
87 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 03, 2019 20:19 as a reply to  @ post 18829152 |  #4060

VERY NICE!!!!!

Glen
www.glenallenphotograp​hy.com (external link)

gb_eh
87 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by gb_eh.

May 03, 2019 20:24 as a reply to  @ post 18826928 |  #4061

Thank for the information I own a bunch or the sandisk you show here,,, glad to here it will keep up to 4k video.. does this keep up with the 480mbs file format too???

Glen

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

May 03, 2019 21:22 |  #4062

gb_eh wrote in post #18855714 (external link)
Thank for the information I own a bunch or the sandisk you show here,,, glad to here it will keep up to 4k video.. does this keep up with the 480mbs file format too???

Yes Glen… it will even do C-log 8 bit internal.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

mhickman
277 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Nov 2014

May 03, 2019 21:24 |  #4063

Who else has a hard time seeing their little girls growing up? This is my daughter before heading off to her junior prom.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS R • EOS 6D
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro • Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM • Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
http://www.mikehickman​photo.com (external link) | @mhickmanphoto Fb | Ig | Tw

gb_eh
87 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 03, 2019 21:45 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #4064

Nice to know I thought I'd have to upgrade t UHS II to be able to write 4K 480mbs file. new to the EOS R haven't played with it.. hope to get out this weekend if weather improves.

Glen

mccamli
678 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

May 03, 2019 22:24 |  #4065

Well, I'm now the proud new owner of an R. I seem to only buy crap cameras, my last four have been the 7D, 6D, 7Dii and now the R.

I did some basic adjustments to the set up and headed out in the dark for some astro shots, complete with a new lens that arrived as I was heading out the door lol.

Probably not the best way to acquaint yourself with new kit. It took me a few minutes to work out how to get the camera to take a picture at all (some MF/AF setup issues lol)

Anyway, it seems great so far. A few test shots beforehand revealed just how good (accurate) the AF can be (the main reason I bought it). Gone are the days of MFA frustrations... Yay!

Here's one from last night.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/33891595938_e1cea93592_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/TCTh​H1  (external link) Dune (external link) by Ian McCamley (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

773,407 views & 12,957 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.