Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 May 2019 (Saturday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Error 20 on an 80D - how common is this

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 04, 2019 07:28 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

After just two weeks my new 80D has developed a serious error. I'm sending this one back. I really like the camera but I don't want a problem that keeps coming back. Should I worry about getting another 80D?

sponsored links
Pippan
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Gallery: 179 photos
Joined Oct 2015

May 04, 2019 08:40 |  #2

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18855951 (external link)
After just two weeks my new 80D has developed a serious error. I'm sending this one back. I really like the camera but I don't want a problem that keeps coming back. Should I worry about getting another 80D?

I've had an 80D for 2.5 years and have never had an Error 20. In the last few months I've had an occasional Error 30 (evidently a shutter issue) but have put it down to extreme humidity (I live in the tropics and it was wet season) because if I left it under a ceiling fan for a while it would work fine. The air's drier now and I've had no issue. Great camera.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,435 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 7 months ago by John from PA.

May 04, 2019 09:04 |  #3

No issues with my 80D (nor my 60D) although it hasn't had a lot of use.

Canon says the following:

Err 20
Description: A malfunction with the mechanical mechanism has been detected.

Resolution: Turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power on again.

Some people report however that they have to leave the battery out for an extended period ("overnight"). In some of the Canon cameras people also said that after removing the battery, turn the camera ON and then hold down the shutter button for about a minute. This would supposedly bleed off any power in the camera circuitry. Then switch the power to OFF, reinstall the battery and then retest.

Certainly if it happens again, I would get the body back to Canon. Don't push your luck and run out of warranty. If you can, enclose a photo of the back screen error message when you return it.

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 04, 2019 09:33 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

John from PA wrote in post #18856000 (external link)
No issues with my 80D (nor my 60D) although it hasn't had a lot of use.

Certainly if it happens again, I would get the body back to Canon. Don't push your luck and run out of warranty. If you can, enclose a photo of the back screen error message when you return it.

I've left the battery out for a while trying this fix. It really shouldn't happen at all though. Again I've only had this camera a couple of weeks. I'm returning it to the retailer. I'd like to get another one but I'm hesitant until I learn if this problem is common and if I can get it fixed at all.

BTW I was not in a humid situation. I had been using the camera with a longer lens than I had been using. I shot several photos with that lens and laid the camera down (on the couch next to me so no impact issues) and when I picked it back up again maybe an hour later it had the error message. I'll shoot a photo of the back screen with another camera if I still have the issue after I put the battery back in. I'll post it here.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,435 posts
Joined May 2003

May 04, 2019 11:51 |  #5

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18856013 (external link)
I've left the battery out for a while trying this fix. It really shouldn't happen at all though. Again I've only had this camera a couple of weeks. I'm returning it to the retailer. I'd like to get another one but I'm hesitant until I learn if this problem is common and if I can get it fixed at all.

BTW I was not in a humid situation. I had been using the camera with a longer lens than I had been using. I shot several photos with that lens and laid the camera down (on the couch next to me so no impact issues) and when I picked it back up again maybe an hour later it had the error message. I'll shoot a photo of the back screen with another camera if I still have the issue after I put the battery back in. I'll post it here.

I doubt this issue would be considered “common”. When I bought my 80D about 2 years ago, I researched it quite extensively and I don’t remember finding any “common” issues. What few complaints I found, when you drilled down the blog, it was usually operator error. These cameras can be quite intimidating, especially if you’ve come from a point & shoot or Smartphone device.

Keep in mind as well, when you search forums, blogs, etc you tend to see the complaints, not the praise!

reietto
160 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 04, 2019 12:49 |  #6

I've had the 80d for almost two years and I haven't had any problem.

Cris
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/reietto-es/ (external link)
Canon Eos M50 - Canon EF-M 15-45 - Canon EF-M 11-22 IS STM - Canon EF-S 55-250 IS STM - Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM - Metz 44 AF-1

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 04, 2019 14:34 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

John from PA wrote in post #18856071 (external link)
I doubt this issue would be considered “common”. When I bought my 80D about 2 years ago, I researched it quite extensively and I don’t remember finding any “common” issues. What few complaints I found, when you drilled down the blog, it was usually operator error. These cameras can be quite intimidating, especially if you’ve come from a point & shoot or Smartphone device.

Keep in mind as well, when you search forums, blogs, etc you tend to see the complaints, not the praise!

First I'm a long way from being new to cameras of all kinds. I started doing serious photography with a twin lens reflex camera. Nothing was automatic in those days.

I didn't find any user error that led to the Error 20 situation. And I found more than a few references to it and some stories about what it took to get a camera repaired out of warranty. I just didn't want to buy a camera with a known issue. I know we see the complaints on forums but it still indicates someone was having the problem.

I'm just asking if the problem is common.

russbecker
299 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 05, 2019 19:33 |  #8

I don't think it is a common problem. I have had an 80D for about 1.5yrs and 7500 shutter snaps (7D2 is main body) and have never seen an error. My 80D was picked up as a refurb directly from Canon.

If it happens again, I would exchange it. If you are uncomfortable with it, by all means exchange it.

7D2 | 80D | Fuji X-H1 | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 06, 2019 00:16 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

russbecker wrote in post #18856852 (external link)
If it happens again, I would exchange it. If you are uncomfortable with it, by all means exchange it.

At this point it only makes sense to return this particular camera. It's that or send it back to Canon for repairs. I can have a different camera here in a few days. It will almost certainly take considerably longer dealing with Canon. Since this particular example of the camera failed after 2 weeks I wouldn't have much faith in it lasting. I will try another example and hope for the best. I've owned quite a few Canon cameras and this is the first time I've had a problem.

Ramon-uk
681 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 06, 2019 05:07 as a reply to  @ Jeff_56's post |  #10

Error 20 is related to a mechanical problem which can be either shutter, mirror or aperture control so you must also consider that it may not be a fault in the camera and the lens may have a problem.
As you were using a different lens to that which you normally use then it may be worth making further tests before you return the camera.

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 06, 2019 14:13 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18857032 (external link)
Error 20 is related to a mechanical problem which can be either shutter, mirror or aperture control so you must also consider that it may not be a fault in the camera and the lens may have a problem.
As you were using a different lens to that which you normally use then it may be worth making further tests before you return the camera.

I tried the first lens again and it would not work.

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 06, 2019 17:08 |  #12

I agree that this is not common issue with the 80D.
As someone that has owned, operated, and modified nearly every Canon DSLR model, the error 20 is definitely a shutter issue.
If the individual shutter leaf(s) do not return to exactly the correct position this error will come up. If the shutter has any resistance in movement it will come up. If the mirror does not return to position it will come up, too. Or if any of the sensors that report these positions go bad... though I have to see that in person.
I have also seen it related to a lens issue as well. But much less common.
What lens were you shooting with when the error happened?

I would return it and try the next one. Even if it doesn't happen again you will be worrying and thinking about it.
I love my 80D. It will be with me for many more years to come. And then will get handed down to my kids or extended family before I sell it.
It's that good (or more accurately so much camera and image quality for the $, obviously good is subjective and there are better cameras out there for X and Y reasons).

Get the replacement and have fun. Dont look back just keep shooting.
Good luck

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,461 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

May 06, 2019 17:10 as a reply to  @ Jeff_56's post |  #13

Was the camera already in the error state?
Did you cycle the power(or remove battery) between changing lenses?

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 7 months ago by Jeff_56.

May 07, 2019 07:23 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

HyperCams wrote in post #18857362 (external link)
What lens were you shooting with when the error happened?

I was using the EF-S 55-250mm that I've had several years. I actually used it a couple of hours and then set the camera down for another hour or so. When I picked it back up that's when I got the error. I've used that lens many times in the time I've owned it. It's never been a problem before.

I didn't disconnect the battery while changing lenses. I did have the power off. I've never heard that the battery should be removed. In any case the lens worked for a couple of hours at least.

I've already made plans to get another camera. I'm back to being torn between the 80D and 7DMkII. I'll probably get another 80D.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,435 posts
Joined May 2003

May 07, 2019 08:06 |  #15

When this happened, had you been doing any shooting in LiveView? I did notice that for some people reporting this error, actually various cameras, there is some common talk about LiveView and when exiting LiveView the mirror doesn’t fully return. In some instances people found that mounting a different lens (I see you have the 18-55) and cycling through LiveView cleared the issue.

By the way, can you repeat the issue “at will”?

sponsored links

932 views & 2 likes for this thread
Error 20 on an 80D - how common is this
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.