Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2019 (Wednesday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Accelerated market contraction for DSLRs

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 05, 2019 14:49 |  #76
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18856638 (external link)
I find it is expeditious to share via sharing sites when the photo count is 'reasonable'...a dozen, and/or the groups are spread into different states. But when I shoot events for relatives (like a grandaughter's First Communion over this past weekend), the photo count was 60 and waiting for 350MB of files to download is burdensome compared to burning them to DVD! And dropping the DVD in a DVD mailer via USPS is hardly burdensome in effort or cost.

DVDs declined because of tiny MP3 players (with inferior-to-DVD sound quality), and the capabilities of smartphone which are always in the pocket/purse, and because of the demand on thin and lightweight laptops. But there are clear advantages that should not be forgotten. It is a bit like SD in lieu of CF...folks have become ignorant to the inferior speed capability of (serial, one channel) SD compared to CF (parallel, 8 channel) yet our video is ever increasing in resolution and frame rate, and our pixel count is ever higher...taxing SD more and more!

CD's and DVD's have declined because it's a broadband world to a great extent and a 350 file is not much when you have a 100m internet connection. The installed base of optical drives has dropped significantly. Many new computers do not come with any optical drive. People sometimes have a USB connection DVD drive but they don't often use them. Thumb drives are so cheap these days that people share large collections of data using them. I know that's how I share things with my family. None of them have any optical drive except for a USB drive which they look at as a hassle to use.

Netfix and other video sites have made DVD's unnecessary for many. As for MP3's the high bitrate variety is all but indistinguishable from CD. For the purist there is FLAC. But let's not forget it's all digital even on CD's. Many think vinyl to FLAC recordings are often superior to CD depending on who makes the recordings usually. And there are even higher quality formats available also.

I have had a web server for sharing files for over a decade now. I only have a rudimentary web page up but it allows me to share whatever files I want with far fewer restrictions. The bandwidth is better also. I have gotten out of the video production business so I don't generally need to transfer gigs of material. If I do transfer to family members we use a thumb drive. I know optical media is cheap to use and mail but one thing is that over time optical media goes bad and data gets lost. I no longer trust the format to last more than a couple of years. Commercially produced media lasts longer but for file sharing it can lead to lost data if you count on storing on optical.

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 05, 2019 22:24 |  #77

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18855481 (external link)
Absolutely.

The notion that it is the gear that makes the difference in image quality went a long way to blowing up the bubble. It became a trend to show up to a kids sporting event with a APSC and long lens. Then every mom on the field thought she could take portraits for wine money. All the while most people buying these services never stopped to compare quality of a "real" photog and someone with a camera.

On flip side, with more availability of dSLRs and taking photos getting easier with newer generations of cameras, all of a sudden some of the parents (assuming they could afford) could take as well if not better pictures than so called "real photogs".

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed.

May 05, 2019 22:32 |  #78

Actually that rarely happens... Many of these parents with DSLRs still don't know how to use them or just use kit lenses, and those indoor or night sports are just as challenging as they ever have been, a DSLR doesn't make that easier.

I have talked with many a parent at games, marching band, etc and have seen all their shots to know that the gear alone without some research and training still yields problematic results.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 05, 2019 22:36 |  #79

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18856923 (external link)
Actually that rarely happens... Many of these parents with DSLRs still don't know how to use them or just use kit lenses, and those indoor or night sports are just as challenging as they ever have been, a DSLR doesn't make that easier.

I have talked with many a parent at games, marching band, etc and have seen all their shots to know that the gear alone without some research and training still yields problematic results.

Not the parents who hang on these forums.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,830 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt.

May 06, 2019 00:59 |  #80

bobbyz wrote in post #18856917 (external link)
On flip side, with more availability of dSLRs and taking photos getting easier with newer generations of cameras, all of a sudden some of the parents (assuming they could afford) could take as well if not better pictures than so called "real photogs".

Interestingly, of a sample taken from an 'extended family' of ours and comprised of 7 households with adults between 42 and 32, all of whom have children of their own (13 children in total), I can list only ONE household that owns a dSLR, all the rest are reliant upon smartphone cameras!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 06, 2019 01:02 |  #81

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18856923 (external link)

I won't claim to be a pro, but I do know my way around a camera. I'm also willing to put some effort into post-processing which helps compared to the average GWC posting jpgs that may or may not look good SOOC.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,830 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 06, 2019 01:03 |  #82

mike_d wrote in post #18856671 (external link)
I've used Dropbox countless times to distribute pictures. They have free 2 GB accounts. .

I appreciate the mention of Dropbox, as I just set up a free non-commercial account for myself and I used it to share image just this past weekend. Thanks!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 06, 2019 01:05 |  #83

Wilt wrote in post #18856961 (external link)
Interestingly, of a sample taken from an 'extended family' of ours and comprised of 7 households with adults between 42 and 32, all of whom have children of their own (13 children in total), I can list only ONE household that owns a dSLR, all the rest are reliant upon smartphone cameras!

Do any of these kids play sports? If I didn't already have a DSLR, I'd probably have gotten one just for that. 28mm isn't too useful on a soccer field.

mat ­ vanella
892 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jun 2012

May 06, 2019 02:28 |  #84

The increased amount of Phonetographers available to stand directly in front of our DSLRs without considering others, and take shots of the sun(nothing else,just the sun in the shot) has to be a good thing right? Right?? :rolleyes::-P

Got stuff ;)
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/83191052@N06/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

May 06, 2019 03:08 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #85

If the entire POTN membership were comprised of such parents as yourself or me, it still would be a very small representation of all parents who wanted better pictures and went out to buy a kit system to take pictures of kid events. ;)

In eight years of shooting various kids sports and arts, I have yet to find a SINGLE parent that I have struck up conversations on sidelines that had gear who knows of POTN. I highly doubt that I live in the only POTN-free section of the world.

I can say that in the last three years, the number of DSLRs I have seen has dropped significantly and all I see are phones now, where people are zooming to take video and pics. That means people are perfectly happy with social media sized and quality photos, so even going completely MILC, a manufacturer still won't garner big sales.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,082 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 6 months ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

May 06, 2019 08:39 |  #86

With regards to ‘serious photographers’ and everyone else…..RDKrik is on point that most people are simply concerned with documenting and are not overly concerned with the creative process. The thing about smartphones is that as good as the IQ has gotten on these things, they are creatively crippled big time. But for the average person who is simply documenting their lives, the creative limitations of these devices aren’t a deal killer at all because they aren’t shooting creatively. The smartphone is the preferred device for them because the convenience of a pocketable device means that they can document anything as it happens. …on the flip-side, they don’t value a standalone camera as a creative tool because they simply aren’t leveraging the capabilities of these cameras.

All of that said, I do think ‘real’ photographers are overly smug about shooting creatively and overly condescending towards those who shoot to document. As a father with young kids, I’ve become to realize that I’m so overly concerned with photography being a creative outlet that I do a terrible job documenting the most important moments in my own family’s life. i.e. never mind if something worth documenting is happening, if the lighting sucks, or we’re not in an interesting locale, or doing something interesting, I find myself not shooting because the creative potential is not there. My wife calls me out on it all the time, and looking back after a couple of years, I’m glad that my wife is shooting whatever she can on her phone because at least she documented these moments that are more meaningful to us as a family than any of the artsy fartsy stuff that, if I’m being completely honestly with myself, I’m shooting for my own enjoyment.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 6 months ago by RDKirk.

May 06, 2019 08:42 |  #87

mystik610 wrote in post #18857094 (external link)
All of that said, I do think ‘real’ photographers are overly smug about shooting creatively and overly condescending towards those who shoot to document. As a father with young kids, I’ve become to realize that I’m so overly concerned with photography being a creative outlet that I do a terrible job documenting the most important moments in my own family’s life. i.e. never mind if something worth documenting is happening, if the lighting sucks, or we’re not in an interesting locale, or doing something interesting, I find myself not shooting because the creative potential is not there. My wife calls me out on it all the time, and looking back after a couple of years, I’m glad that my wife is shooting whatever she can on her phone because at least she documented these moments that are more meaningful to us as a family than any of the artsy fartsy stuff that, if I’m being completely honestly with myself, I’m shooting for my own enjoyment.

I have to admit I've been 'way too smug in my life even to the extent of being so overly concerned with photography being a creative outlet that I do a terrible job documenting the most important moments in my own family’s life.

Wait, did someone else just say that?

So I appreciate my cell phone camera too, for just that reason...even though it still took deliberate effort to make a habit of pulling the phone out of my pocket when such moments occurred.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

elitejp
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 06, 2019 09:06 |  #88

Parents have enough things that they are carrying around just for their kids. Taking a dslr along with a lens for every situation just isnt practical or fun. I mean how many threads have you read here on potn about people going on vacation and asking what 1 or 2 lenses that they should bring. They probably arent looking at taking any kind of flash equipment either.

Most of my friends at the gym will take selfie pics to see how they are progressing and instantly share with friends. Ive never seen anyone bring a dslr with them into the gym.

It really boils down to convenience and then sharing the photos with others. You can argue about the quality of the photo but there is a lot to be said about the enjoyment of actually taking a photo, sharing it with others and then moving on. DSLRs just are more of a hassle in doing these tasks. The pictures generally turn out very good on a phone. They are always with you to scroll thru and show to others or yourself while dslr pics are either stored on my computer and/or some will be saved to my phone.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Joined May 2002

May 06, 2019 09:46 |  #89

Today's mobile device taking pictures is much akin to yesteryear's Polaroid instamatics, instant gratification at the expense of quality.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 06, 2019 10:00 |  #90

RDKirk wrote in post #18857097 (external link)
I have to admit I've been 'way too smug in my life even to the extent of being so overly concerned with photography being a creative outlet that I do a terrible job documenting the most important moments in my own family’s life.

Wait, did someone else just say that?

So I appreciate my cell phone camera too, for just that reason...even though it still took deliberate effort to make a habit of pulling the phone out of my pocket when such moments occurred.

LOL

Been there, but I got over it and have lately tried to use both cell phone and DSLR for both documenting and more creative efforts. Often i will even have my camera in my backpack but just want to fire off something quick. I could have made this phone pic a lot better, from a composition and technical stand point, but we were on the last mile of a 8 mile hike and they were worn out. Earlier in the trip I pulled out the 6D and a speedlight for a tripod mounted, backlit "selfie" that was a much better documentarly photo than I could have gotten from my phone.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

5,359 views & 100 likes for this thread
Accelerated market contraction for DSLRs
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.