Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,782 posts
Gallery: 382 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2019 14:36 |  #28681

From the 85GM...the landscape architect I was shooting for last week, every year we try to get another new image of him out in nature somewhere...this time it was up in the oak tree country...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,981 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 08, 2019 14:40 |  #28682

Charlie wrote in post #18858458 (external link)
it's the size penalty I cant stand most. Canon's 50mm F1.2 RF is a whopping 950g? I just remember it wasnt far off from the 135 GM. Compare that to the Zony 50 f1.4 which is a massive 800g as is, the SY 50mm f1.4 only 550g or so....... Size and weight weigh heavily in my gear decision. I'm not going to carry a few hundred grams more for 1/3 stop, it's not worth the trouble. Practicality vs ultimate IQ is a huge consideration.

Gear size makes a big difference on whether I bring my gear or not to a given location, like the ability to bring my gear everywhere for photos and stills, the thought of leaving my gear at home saddens me.

Similar here Charlie. The thought of a 950g lens just doesn't enter my mind at all!! I'd much soon give up aperture, a bit of IQ & a bit of bokeh smoothness for something half the weight & f/1.4

Same as the people who carry around a 100-400mm or 150-500mm or whatever - fair play to you but it isn't for me.

I'm more than happy with my lightweight kit - even the Samyang 24/1.4 I picked up from Eddie I don't think I'd landscape hike with in all honesty (unless Astro was involved of course)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,024 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2011

May 08, 2019 14:42 |  #28683

TRhoads wrote in post #18858442 (external link)
I remembered your experience...and decided that I had to go...can you bring your own camera or do you have to use theirs? a free 32GB tough card...sign me up...

agreed...that is an insane price for a lens...and I thought the GM lenses were kinda nutz...

yes of course.

they encourage attendees to bring their own equipment. The loaners are there for if you to try out but are limited. I brought my own gears but also borrowed their camera thinking I wont have to switch lens. I ended up using my camera and switched lens because I didnt want to waste time changing the camera to my setting and config. But still I would get the camera so they can give you the memory card :P. I'm not sure if you need to borrow the camera to get it or not but hey, it doesnt cost. If it becomes a burden to carry around you can always return the camera and be free from it. You only need to give them your ID that they will keep and return to you when you return their gears. I can't remember if they asked for a credit card too or not.

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,981 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 08, 2019 15:35 |  #28684

This was actually the first location/composition we tried. The pond in the previous panorama is just the other side of this tree ;)

4 image stack in Sequator of a 24mm composition. I must say, I am very much impressed with the noise reduction shooting stopped down at f/2 vs f/3.5 wide open on the CV21

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32862966557_f7f3e893e3_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/S4Zi​2F  (external link)
*** (external link) by Lee (external link), on Flickr

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,217 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 08, 2019 15:47 |  #28685

LeeRatters wrote in post #18858490 (external link)
This was actually the first location/composition we tried. The pond in the previous panorama is just the other side of this tree ;)

4 image stack in Sequator of a 24mm composition. I must say, I am very much impressed with the noise reduction shooting stopped down at f/2 vs f/3.5 wide open on the CV21

QUOTED IMAGE

The too-bright sky amidst the tree’s canopy needs repair, but overall this is a good one. I especially like how the sky color and the direction of the galaxy all direct the eye to the tree. Excellent composition.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,981 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 14 days ago by LeeRatters.

May 08, 2019 16:07 |  #28686

David Arbogast wrote in post #18858495 (external link)
The too-bright sky amidst the tree’s canopy needs repair, but overall this is a good one. I especially like how the sky color and the direction of the galaxy all direct the eye to the tree. Excellent composition.

Thanks David. It was good to actually have some foreground! We're still going to return though ASAP as I have other ideas already to tweak!

I didn't notice the canopy in all honesty! I was more looking at the MW & the noise!!

Quick 5 second re-tweak in CS6!!

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/32862966557_5ebf909e52_h.jpg

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,893 posts
Gallery: 563 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 08, 2019 16:09 |  #28687

It's funny that people are surprised by the price. It's pretty much following the trend of all the other RF lenses and you know it will probably be the best 85mm optically and AF will be super fast too.

Ted Forbes did a podcast not long ago on the topic of how cameras need to be more expensive so manufacturers can build to the specs they want, not to match the price they need. As someone with a limited budget I don't particularly want them to get more expensive but as long there's bodies like the A7III or R/RP at lower prices I'm happy.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,732 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 14 days ago by mystik610.

May 08, 2019 17:11 |  #28688

Dlee13 wrote in post #18858504 (external link)
It's funny that people are surprised by the price. It's pretty much following the trend of all the other RF lenses and you know it will probably be the best 85mm optically and AF will be super fast too.

Ted Forbes did a podcast not long ago on the topic of how cameras need to be more expensive so manufacturers can build to the specs they want, not to match the price they need. As someone with a limited budget I don't particularly want them to get more expensive but as long there's bodies like the A7III or R/RP at lower prices I'm happy.

That strategy doesn't hold if the products are not competitive though, as anyone spending thousands of dollars on bodies and lenses is relatively well informed. I.e. Canikon had to cut the price of their mirrorless bodies pretty much immediately because they couldn't gain traction against the a7III, which is now a year old. Its just a much more competitive space in the mirrorless space...the duopoly dynamics between Canikon don't apply here, and if they go super expensive, Sony, Panasonic, etc etc will simply undercut them on price. This is fine if Canikon want to move upscale and sell less volume but at higher margins. Basically become the new Leica.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,893 posts
Gallery: 563 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 08, 2019 17:20 |  #28689

mystik610 wrote in post #18858528 (external link)
That strategy doesn't hold if the products are not competitive though, as anyone spending thousands of dollars on bodies and lenses is relatively well informed. I.e. Canikon had to cut the price of their mirrorless bodies pretty much immediately because they couldn't gain traction against the a7III, which is now a year old. Its just a much more competitive space in the mirrorless space...the duopoly dynamics between Canikon don't apply here, and if they go super expensive, Sony, Panasonic, etc etc will simply undercut them on price. This is fine if Canikon want to move upscale and sell less volume but at higher margins. Basically become the new Leica.

I've found Canon always introduce their products at a much higher price to take advantage of early adopters. All the bodies I got through dropped by nearly 1k AUD after a year but I still bought them at launch because of GAS :p

I honestly see the competition being between Sony and Canon as the big 2 very soon with Panasonic taking third.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,700 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 08, 2019 17:40 |  #28690

Dlee13 wrote in post #18858504 (external link)

That's a big step north the price of the GF 110 f2.....

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Miranda1
Goldmember
1,018 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

May 08, 2019 17:48 |  #28691

I know a number of the members of this board are GoPro uses so I'm hoping you can provide some experience or best tips on the use of the GoPro. I'm planning a trip out west to the Canadian Rockies and the trip will include some day hiking.

I picked up a GoPro because I thought it would great be able to capture some videos during the hikes. I've been looking for a solution to mount the GoPro onto the shoulder straps of my Photo BackPack. There are a number of options available, some are just very simple plastic clips and others are much more robust solutions. I was checking out the Peak Design Capture clip with the GoPRO POV, it looks like a solid piece of gear but I'm having a bit of a time justifying the cost of that kit.

Have any of you use the Capture Clip system with a GoPRO? If so do you have any feedback you can provide?

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, 135 GM,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,782 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2019 19:31 |  #28692

From my Interior Design shoot a couple weeks ago...this was an unusual composition I chose after getting the safe shots of this massive entertainment wall...I liked it for its unique take on the space, figuring the designer would not like it...but she did...wrapped up the edit on it tonight, two frames, an ambient and a strobed layer blended in manually. This was before the B18 started to malfunction.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,902 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 08, 2019 19:44 |  #28693

TRhoads wrote in post #18858582 (external link)
From my Interior Design shoot a couple weeks ago...this was an unusual composition I chose after getting the safe shots of this massive entertainment wall...I liked it for its unique take on the space, figuring the designer would not like it...but she did...wrapped up the edit on it tonight, two frames, an ambient and a strobed layer blended in manually. This was before the B18 started to malfunction.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=188​58582&i=i233820878
forum: Sony Cameras

I always wonder when I see bric-a-brac on shelves like this whether they have any special meaning to the home owner or if they are just there for the look. That driftwood for example, was that found on a stroll along the beach on the first date with their spouse or was it something bought just to fill shelf space in an artsy way?

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,782 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2019 20:11 |  #28694

navydoc wrote in post #18858589 (external link)
I always wonder when I see bric-a-brac on shelves like this whether they have any special meaning to the home owner or if they are just there for the look. That driftwood for example, was that found on a stroll along the beach on the first date with their spouse or was it something bought just to fill shelf space in an artsy way?

some of this stuff was found by the designer to fill the shelves...a lot of it had meaning to the owners, they are big black and white photography fans, New York City Fans...and a lot of the books has to do with those two things...but a lot of it is just clutter IMO! LOL.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,732 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 14 days ago by mystik610.

May 08, 2019 20:18 |  #28695

Dlee13 wrote in post #18858535 (external link)
I've found Canon always introduce their products at a much higher price to take advantage of early adopters. All the bodies I got through dropped by nearly 1k AUD after a year but I still bought them at launch because of GAS :p

I honestly see the competition being between Sony and Canon as the big 2 very soon with Panasonic taking third.

Oh yeah totally.... every tech company does this. But you'd want to keep your prices as high as long as possible to extract those margins from early adopters, so long as the demand for your product supports this. What's telling is how quickly Canikon had to lower their prices. The demand simply isn't there.

Canon actual posted abysmal first quarter results...this is the first full quarter that captured the EOS R. Big drop in sales because, camera market is declining...but also a massive 82% drop in operating profit because pricing pressures:

https://www.canonrumor​s.com …1-2019-financial-results/ (external link)

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links

2,346,976 views & 59,593 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.