Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 May 2019 (Saturday) 20:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

90D rumors?

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 11, 2019 20:05 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I was just reading that Canon is about to bring out a 32mp replacement for the 80D and for the 7D MkII. Anyone have any info on this? I'm just about to buy a 80D (again) and I don't want to be a generation behind after a week. Any thoughts on whether the price might increase?

Here's the info I was reading.

https://www.diyphotogr​aphy.net …80d-and-7d-mark-ii-dslrs/ (external link)

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,477 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 11, 2019 23:31 |  #2

The 7D3 rumor has been going on for over a year.

But since it's release date is approaching 5 years, an update sounds reasonable.

As they say, time will tell.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 12, 2019 00:55 |  #3

I have a very hard time believing there will be both a 80D and 7DIII replacement, but one is coming soon. I suspect it will not be priced as a traditional high end Canon APSC.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 12, 2019 01:43 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18860098 (external link)
I have a very hard time believing there will be both a 80D and 7DIII replacement, but one is coming soon. I suspect it will not be priced as a traditional high end Canon APSC.

Are you saying it will cost less or more?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 12, 2019 02:14 |  #5

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18860107 (external link)
Are you saying it will cost less or more?

Yes.

;)

7DII was 1800 bucks, so less than their traditional high end APSC price point.

80D was 1100, same or maybe a bit more than that.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,470 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 14, 2019 14:38 |  #6

Canon Rumors has a rumor about this. August release date at $1399.

https://www.canonrumor​s.com …d-specification-list-cr1/ (external link)

Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 14, 2019 16:32 |  #7

A good question to ask is how will a $1400 new camera improve your results? Will it make the photos less blurry? Will it help compose for better subject material? Are you having issues with noise at high ISOs? If you don't like something with your current photos, what specifically and perhaps a new camera could help, or perhaps not.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

PNPhotography
800 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 14, 2019 16:32 |  #8

Hopefully it will be a proper 7dMKII replacement.If it's a 80d-ish upgrade I'm going full Nikon.I'd bet money it will have AA filter because of video.No AA filter is a must for me.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

May 14, 2019 16:37 |  #9

PNPhotography wrote in post #18861439 (external link)
Hopefully it will be a proper 7dMKII replacement.If it's a 80d-ish upgrade I'm going full Nikon.I'd bet money it will have AA filter because of video.No AA filter is a must for me.

With those specs, no, it won't be a great upgrade over the 7D2. What has happened is since 2009, the DLSR marketed has imploded enough that Canon went from splitting the APS C line into the 7D and XXD to now merging them back together 10 years later. This is the last prosumer APS-C DSLR you will see from Canon for multiple reasons, meaning it is an upgrade for the 80D and perhaps a lateral move for the 7D2.

- Not much DSLR market left
- Canon is merging the two lines back into one
- There cannot be a 100D because there was already one.
- Canon is putting their resources more into the EOS R line up, including lenses, and the M series

We now just received an SL3, and perhaps one other super-rebel I feel, and that will be the end of the APS-C DSLR rebel line as well. I know Mike (umphotography) predicted the end of all Canon DSLRs sometime in 2018, but as we stated then and it is coming to fruition, there are more DSLRs coming out, probably about 1 per major line before they are done.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sidknee
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Gallery: 743 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2019 17:01 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18861441 (external link)
With those specs, no, it won't be a great upgrade over the 7D2. What has happened is since 2009, the DLSR marketed has imploded enough that Canon went from splitting the APS C line into the 7D and XXD to now merging them back together 10 years later. This is the last prosumer APS-C DSLR you will see from Canon for multiple reasons, meaning it is an upgrade for the 80D and perhaps a lateral move for the 7D2.

- Not much DSLR market left
- Canon is merging the two lines back into one
- There cannot be a 100D
- Canon is putting their resources more into the EOS R line up, including lenses, and the M series

We will see an SL3, and perhaps one other super-rebel I feel, and that will be the end of the APS-C DSLR rebel line as well. I know Mike (umphotography) predicted the end of all Canon DSLRs sometime in 2018, but as we stated then and it is coming to fruition, there are more DSLRs coming out, probably about 1 per major line before they are done.

All of the above is pure speculation and rumour mill repetition.

Go Tokura(GT): Yes, we can confirm that DSLRs will continue to be a core part of our business.
Read more at https://www.amateurpho​tographer.co.uk …27019#iwhuWI7Ts​AFhihL2.99 (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,363 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 14, 2019 18:16 |  #11

sidknee wrote in post #18861450 (external link)
All of the above is pure speculation and rumour mill repetition.

Go Tokura(GT): Yes, we can confirm that DSLRs will continue to be a core part of our business.
Read more at https://www.amateurpho​tographer.co.uk …27019#iwhuWI7Ts​AFhihL2.99 (external link)

That doesn't really say much other than for the near future, Canon will have some DSLR in it's line up. Clearly with the DSLR market shrinking as rapidly as it is, there could be pressure for Canon to reduce from the current 7 or 8 different lines to something much simpler. I would not be surprised if Canon collapsed the SLx, 1XXXD and XXXD into a single line, the XXD and 7D lines into one, the 5D and 6D into one.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sidknee
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Gallery: 743 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 15, 2019 02:38 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #18861464 (external link)
That doesn't really say much other than for the near future, Canon will have some DSLR in it's line up. Clearly with the DSLR market shrinking as rapidly as it is, there could be pressure for Canon to reduce from the current 7 or 8 different lines to something much simpler. I would not be surprised if Canon collapsed the SLx, 1XXXD and XXXD into a single line, the XXD and 7D lines into one, the 5D and 6D into one.

How far ahead do you think a company such as Canon has to plan? 3-5 years? I would assume that any future predicted by a Canon representative would only be valid for that sort of period of the future anyway. They've just released new big whites which they are committed to looking after for 10 years or so, they are going to be supplying bodies of varying levels to use with those lenses and based on 5 yearly updates to the top end stuff that equates to another 2 release cycles for at least the 1 and 7 lines and another 5 in there as well.
Things may well be going mirrorless in the long run but it's not happening as quickly as some would like to speculate, not in Canon land anyway.

Kumakichi
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2016

May 16, 2019 17:47 |  #13

Very interesting and confusing as I've been watching too many camera reviews lately. :-)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,477 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 25, 2019 11:53 |  #14

I wonder how many would want - or need - a 32mp APS-C sensor?

Maybe people who shoot subjects at a distance, bird photographers for example. Extra pixels for heavy cropping.
And cramming another 8mp (compared to the 80D's 24mp) could cause an IQ decline.

Off-hand I don't know of any APS-C sensor that has more than 24mp.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Joined May 2002

May 25, 2019 12:04 |  #15

It would have to have no AA filter in order to sell well I feel. Then it would be great for various forms of photography, even wide angle.

sponsored links

16,609 views & 173 likes for this thread
90D rumors?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.