Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Nov 2018 (Sunday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF-M Users unite!

ra40
734 posts
Gallery: 308 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 15, 2019 13:34 |  #196

Nice 964! Might like this Porsche thread:
https://forums.vwvorte​x.com …tgek%FChlt-6-Photo-Thread (external link)

sponsored links
ra40
734 posts
Gallery: 308 photos
Joined Jan 2013

May 15, 2019 14:46 |  #197

The in-law's backyard. Small koi pond in the furthest back corner. They're retired so they enjoy some of the maintenance. When they come over I feel like I'm being inspected. :-P

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,893 posts
Gallery: 563 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 15, 2019 16:05 |  #198

BallerStatus wrote in post #18861228 (external link)
Yeah I am really liking the M5! Also this camera with USM lenses is blazing fast on AF! I think I got lucky as my 50 worked great right out of the box on all my cameras. It's the perfect size, weight, and focal length to go with an M camera.

I brought the M5 and the 22 f2 with me to work today to play around a little downtown. The weather is super nice today, so it will be nice to get out and stretch my (and the camera's) legs a bit. Already shot a modded Porsche 964 on the walk from my garage to work this morning :).

I remember when I used to have all my EF lenses that they worked like native if not better on the M5. I feel the same, I got the 50 to be used exclusively on the M5 as well.

Can't wait to see all your photos with it!

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

BallerStatus
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Gallery: 326 photos
Joined Apr 2014

May 15, 2019 16:24 |  #199

Thanks man! Yeah I agree, the EF lenses seem to work just as well if not better than the EF-M lenses. The USM lenses are crazy fast.

The 22 f2 seems to be the slowest even compared to EF glass. Also when using the 22, the camera will lock focus and freeze without taking a pic, but if you just mash the shutter button it will take the pic. Kind of weird.

2 6D - 35 f1.4L, 135 f2L, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 f1.8
EOS M and M5 - 11-22 f4-5.6 IS, 22 f2
AE-1 Program - FD 50 f1.8
Flickr (external link)

BallerStatus
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 7 days ago by BallerStatus.

May 15, 2019 16:27 |  #200

Also on my way to work, our Market Square in downtown Knoxville. M5 + 22 f2

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,893 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 15, 2019 16:38 |  #201

BallerStatus wrote in post #18861979 (external link)
Thanks man! Yeah I agree, the EF lenses seem to work just as well if not better than the EF-M lenses. The USM lenses are crazy fast.

The 22 f2 seems to be the slowest even compared to EF glass. Also when using the 22, the camera will lock focus and freeze without taking a pic, but if you just mash the shutter button it will take the pic. Kind of weird.

I think almost all lenses perform better without the mirror. I see it as the reason why some of these lenses seem soft on DSLR's.

It comes up with a blue square or something right? happens all the time with me too.

BallerStatus wrote in post #18861981 (external link)
Also on my way to work, our Market Square in downtown Knoxville. M5 + 22 f2

Wow nice shot, looks quite nice there!

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

BallerStatus
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 15, 2019 16:47 as a reply to  @ Dlee13's post |  #202

Yep, blue square and freezes. Then I let go of the shutter and mash it and it takes the pic. Not sure what the deal is.

Thanks! Yeah, Knoxville is pretty nice. We have a lot of mountains/lakes/rivers very close by. Our downtown area is small in square mileage, but there has been a ton of renovation recently and it has become a pretty cool place for tourists to visit. Lots of great places to eat, etc. It's cheap to live here (unless you live downtown) too, so it's a nice combo. I work downtown and live in the suburbs, so best of both worlds.

Flickr (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,893 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 15, 2019 18:30 |  #203

BallerStatus wrote in post #18861984 (external link)
Yep, blue square and freezes. Then I let go of the shutter and mash it and it takes the pic. Not sure what the deal is.

Thanks! Yeah, Knoxville is pretty nice. We have a lot of mountains/lakes/rivers very close by. Our downtown area is small in square mileage, but there has been a ton of renovation recently and it has become a pretty cool place for tourists to visit. Lots of great places to eat, etc. It's cheap to live here (unless you live downtown) too, so it's a nice combo. I work downtown and live in the suburbs, so best of both worlds.

IIRC the EF-M lenses do have firmware versions so it is probably an issue there. Good to know it's not just my body then.

I haven't only been to the US once and I visited San Francisco and Hawaii. I live in Sydney so Tennessee would be quite a long flight I think haha. Have you always lived there?

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
8,699 posts
Gallery: 738 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

May 15, 2019 22:50 |  #204

nero_design wrote in post #18857814 (external link)
A couple of JPEGs from the camera from this week. Found another one of those pesky lizards living right in the middle of the city. The shot of The Galactic Core was taken last night. Jupiter was the bright blue star. I bumped the color and contrast to try and cancel out the effects of shooting with a Tungsten WB (I left my NiSi Natural Night filter at home by accident). It's pretty cool to have a lens that can put out images like these with a single exposure. I think I'd get even sharper results using a computerized EQ mount to allow the lens to track the sky. Otherwise I'm limited to either 10 or 13 second exposures before the stars start to show movement. I also wish I'd shot this with a narrower aperture to get bolder diffraction spikes from Jupiter. The FOV is pretty narrow as well... I had to rotate the lens/camera to fit in what I could.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=188​57814&i=i28944824
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Looking at the Galactic Core always makes me think: who the heck are we?

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

BallerStatus
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 16, 2019 09:48 |  #205

Dlee13 wrote in post #18862025 (external link)
IIRC the EF-M lenses do have firmware versions so it is probably an issue there. Good to know it's not just my body then.

I haven't only been to the US once and I visited San Francisco and Hawaii. I live in Sydney so Tennessee would be quite a long flight I think haha. Have you always lived there?

Yeah, everything except the 22 feels snappy and fast. USM lenses are blazing quick.

Those are pretty good places to visit in the US, haha! I have been to San Fran, but not Hawaii - one day! Yeah, I remember the flight from LA to Tokyo, can't imagine Sydney to Knoxville, lol. I have lived almost all my life in Knoxville - I went to college at Auburn in Alabama - about 5.5 hours away. My wife and I want to check out New Zealand and Australia one day - it's on our bucket list!

Typical southern "Bro Dozer" for picture tax for all this text. I did the Bluetooth transfer from the first time last night, so this is transferred from M5 to phone, edited in VSCO.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,893 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 16, 2019 22:59 |  #206

BallerStatus wrote in post #18862323 (external link)
Yeah, everything except the 22 feels snappy and fast. USM lenses are blazing quick.

Those are pretty good places to visit in the US, haha! I have been to San Fran, but not Hawaii - one day! Yeah, I remember the flight from LA to Tokyo, can't imagine Sydney to Knoxville, lol. I have lived almost all my life in Knoxville - I went to college at Auburn in Alabama - about 5.5 hours away. My wife and I want to check out New Zealand and Australia one day - it's on our bucket list!

Typical southern "Bro Dozer" for picture tax for all this text. I did the Bluetooth transfer from the first time last night, so this is transferred from M5 to phone, edited in VSCO.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by BallerStatus in
./showthread.php?p=188​62323&i=i25092230

I've actually been using my M5 more than my Sony recently because of the 32mm lens.

It was an interesting experience for me but don't think I'll be traveling that far again any time soon. I guess once they make a breakthrough and improve air travel we can finally get to explore the places further from us. The East Coast of Australia is much better and nothing to do on West Coast. New Zealand is one place I really want to visit too. It was actually planned for this year but we been spending too much so put it off.

nero_design
180 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2012

May 17, 2019 10:43 |  #207

BallerStatus wrote in post #18860798 (external link)
Two samples of the M5 + 50 f1.8 STM. I think this lens is the ideal companion to this camera :).
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by BallerStatus in
./showthread.php?p=188​60798&i=i216013835

I think our cats are related! Gorgeous shots from you... really loved the super distortion from the 11-22mm lens on that 4x4 parked on the street (your last post).

HOSTED PHOTO

My cat Quorra (ABOVE). She was a rescue kitten be bought for almost nothing. But she cost me thousands in surgery bills recently after chewing and swallowing synthetic strands from a costume wig my wife left lying about. It was only a few strands... but they wouldn't snap because they were some type of mono-filament. They bunched up in two different parts of her intestines and then sawed through the soft tissue, causing the stomach to leak into her chest cavity. Then necrosis was setting in. They had to cut out 30cm of intestines and wash out her abdomen. She survived... and I took this picture a few days ago of her in her beanbag. Used the built-in flash on the M6 but tilted it upwards to bounce it off the ceiling. It was nighttime so her pupils are huge. This cat's surgery is the reason I still haven't bought a telescope.

The really annoying thing here is that my wife is a seamstress and left out some denim off-cuts that Quorra found and ate a few years ago. Resulting in a trip to the vet and costing thousands of dollars more in emergency treatment over several days This cat is the reason I can't afford RF lenses.

It's interesting that when her eyes are large (in dim light) the outer part (which is yellow) is the dominant color. But when she's in bright light and her eyes are slitted, they shot a teal-green/blue color from the inner region near the iris.

HOSTED PHOTO

nero_design
180 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 17, 2019 10:57 |  #208

I visited a prominent 'celebrity jeweler' in the city last week and we're really fond of her work. My wife particularly loves her medieval styles. The staff allowed me to photograph a couple of pieces that caught my eye. The first is a necklace made from purple natural sapphires of various shades and tones strung on silk strands. The same necklace is in both shots. The second shot has the same necklace but features a really pretty natural Amethyst and rose-gold ring done in a sort of Tudor style design. I don't think these pictures do them justice because the ring really looks like candy and you can only just make out the sparkling of the sapphires behind it.

If I was photographing the ring in my own environment I'd have lit it differently and used white reflectors to bring out the ring's gold surface. So this was taken in a very subdued store with very dark walls and a high, black ceiling. It's so much fun to be able to get shots like these with a tiny camera that I can just carry around in the palm of my hand.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

nero_design
180 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 17, 2019 11:10 |  #209

HOSTED PHOTO

The view from my table at a cafe (above) where I had Birthday Lunch and Mother's Day earlier this week.

Below is the cake I was given. It looks pretty with those sparklers blazing away but it was entirely and completely devoid of flavor (if you ignored the two strawberries on top). It was baked without flour or sugar or sweeteners. It was like some sort of gluten-free, sugar free uber-healthy cake. They didn't even use flour... they used almond meal instead. My GOD it was awful. I took pictures of my wife as she took her first bite. I know my parents meant well and they were thinking of helping me cut down on sugar... and it was certainly an expensive cake... but there was absolutely no flavor. I'm not exaggerating at all: It was like chewing a slice of cardboard. And nobody was able to eat it. We joked about sprinkling beach sand on it to add texture and salt.

I really hate hipster food. Ended up getting a Sundae at McDonalds's on the way home instead. Later I tried drowning the cake in vintage port but it made no difference. It was utterly inedible. Even the ant-invasion in my house (which is in year 3) was hilarious because they made their way around the uneaten cake for two days just to get to what was in the garbage bin. Not a single ant (out of several thousand) ventured near the cake. Not one.

HOSTED PHOTO

BallerStatus
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 17, 2019 11:59 |  #210

Thanks for the compliments Nero! Our little black cat is Charlie. He's all black minus a patch of white on his chest and a white "bikini" on his underside :-P. He was a rescue too as his previous owners left him and his two siblings outside of the vet clinic we go to. He's exactly 50% angel and 50% devil. He's into everything, super type A, and loves to meet new people. He's usually getting into trouble, but will gladly snuggle as soon as you pick him up. Charlie's eyes are yellow with a sliver of green right next to his iris. Quorra's eyes are gorgeous! So glad you guys take great care of her! We have had our share of vet bills for our animals too.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

20,602 views & 308 likes for this thread
Canon EF-M Users unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.