Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 May 2019 (Wednesday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Greentoe - Not professional at all

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 16, 2019 20:31 |  #16

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18862510 (external link)
Here’s their phone number straight off the website: 1-888-840-0464. Call and ask the status of your order, why they didn’t bother to confirm tracking or reply to your numerous emails. Tell us what they say. Anyway, that’s what I would do.

I had called them twice - one on Tue pm and one on Wed pm - both were answered by a recording saying that they cannot answer the phone and to send them email or use the form on their website. Have you ever spoken to their CS / rep? If you have, you must be very lucky :D

I sent emails to them on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. They finally responded to my email on Wed when I requested them to cancel the order as I had submitted a claim through paypal. Also, finally this morning, the seller / shop finally emailed me to let me know that they were out of stock and had asked if I am willing to accept a body from the body / lens kit, which I accepted.

The camera is expected to arrive tomorrow.

sponsored links
NDAPhoto
349 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by NDAPhoto. (5 edits in all)

May 16, 2019 21:58 |  #17

vilimo wrote in post #18862574 (external link)
I had called them twice - one on Tue pm and one on Wed pm - both were answered by a recording saying that they cannot answer the phone and to send them email or use the form on their website. Have you ever spoken to their CS / rep? If you have, you must be very lucky :D

I sent emails to them on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. They finally responded to my email on Wed when I requested them to cancel the order as I had submitted a claim through paypal. Also, finally this morning, the seller / shop finally emailed me to let me know that they were out of stock and had asked if I am willing to accept a body from the body / lens kit, which I accepted.

The camera is expected to arrive tomorrow.

I've been called by their people a number of times, especially after I place an offer. A few times they called just to ask if I needed anything. When they first started it was more often, so maybe it is because I was an early customer. I understood they were trying to broker a deal, and each sales rep varied but was nice about it. Once I asked via customer survey why don't they carry TV's and they now carry TV's. Then I asked about musical instruments and studio gear, and now they carry them. It's not always perfect because I once called about high-end photo printers and they responded with regular office inkjets. But it didn't cost me anything, so was worth a shot. Admittedly, I haven't run into a bad vendor, but that doesn't mean others haven't. Twice I've been mildly concerned by small vendors I never heard of, but they came through with fast delivery or threw in some free lens cloths.

Glad you're getting your gear. I had the exact same thing happen with a camera body through Cameta a long time ago. Oversold during a sale, so asked if they can send a kit with lens removed and that was fine by me.

djr81
112 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2013

May 16, 2019 23:00 |  #18

vilimo wrote in post #18862091 (external link)
I have heard a lot of good news / report on this forum re Greentoe. Because of that, I decided to give it a shot.

This is basically me venting my frustration with them... (so... please bear with me :-))

Last week, I accepted an offer for EOS R including the adapter for $1875. I had paid the offer promptly on Friday, May 10 through paypal. Despite numerous emails (first email sent on Monday) from me requesting shipping and tracking confirmation, until today, I have not received any info at all from them nor the seller. Granted that Greentoe does not carry the product themselves and sourced it from another / independent supplier / shop. However, since it is their platform, in my mind, they are responsible in working with the seller / shop to get me that information. It is really unprofessional for them to not respond to the email requesting this info, especially since the order has been paid in full.

Have any of you had this kind of experience with Greentoe?

So to check my understanding.

You ordered it on a Friday knowing they dont have stock.

By Monday you were emailing them asking for tracking information?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,895 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 17, 2019 00:51 |  #19

I hesitate to post and appear contrary, but it seems to me that when one chooses to auction their patron-ship off to the lowest bidder, one might be willing to compromise some of the expectations that one would receive from a more known, respectable vendors. B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and many others all have clear shipping and returns policies, live up to the minute inventory tracking, and employees, lots of employees they pay to take care of you. (yes even they can slip up at times)

If that kind of service is the priority, I would go with the known vendors who excel at this very thing. With a service like Greentoe, it seems that we are choosing lowest price over such conveniences,. and should be excepting of the "cost" of going with the lowest price.

With B&H I know I will get it the next day if I plan my order correctly.
With Greentoe, I know it will take a few more days.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2019 07:11 |  #20

djr81 wrote in post #18862625 (external link)
So to check my understanding.

You ordered it on a Friday knowing they dont have stock.

By Monday you were emailing them asking for tracking information?

:D ... First of all, I know that GT is a broker and thus do not have any product. When I placed the order, I did not know who the seller / shop is going to be shipping the product and hence I did not know whether they have the stock on hand.

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2019 07:21 |  #21

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18862656 (external link)
I hesitate to post and appear contrary, but it seems to me that when one chooses to auction their patron-ship off to the lowest bidder, one might be willing to compromise some of the expectations that one would receive from a more known, respectable vendors. B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and many others all have clear shipping and returns policies, live up to the minute inventory tracking, and employees, lots of employees they pay to take care of you. (yes even they can slip up at times)

If that kind of service is the priority, I would go with the known vendors who excel at this very thing. With a service like Greentoe, it seems that we are choosing lowest price over such conveniences,. and should be excepting of the "cost" of going with the lowest price.

With B&H I know I will get it the next day if I plan my order correctly.
With Greentoe, I know it will take a few more days.

I agree with you that in that I should not compare GT's vendors / suppliers with B&H, Adorama or Amazon. As such, I had dialed down my expectation in terms of speed of delivery as I was not expecting an overnight / expedited service. However, I do expect that they would keep me updated / inform me on the order status (or even reply the email) - i.e. if there is any delays, etc. This is my biggest frustration / dissatisfaction with GT - not about the speed of delivery... it is the lack / absence of communication :D

NDAPhoto
349 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by NDAPhoto. (4 edits in all)

May 17, 2019 08:38 |  #22

Missing from your complaint is the communication sent by Greentoe when the offer was accepted on Friday. Also why you became worried on Monday that you had no shipping and tracking info yet. Their order confirmation gives you a link to check the status at anytime. It also says “Normally items ship in 1-2 business days”. In 3 business days, you told Greentoe you wanted to cancel the agreement and had already filed a claim with Paypal.

When my offers are accepted, I receive an email “Your Offer Was Accepted” that is nicely designed. It states “You Got The Deal!”, has a photo of my purchase, model number and order number. Below that is a button link to View Offer Details. This also appears on my Greentoe account. When I click that, it shows the name and direct contact info for the vendor. The product info appears along with date and time of offer + date and time of acceptance. Below that is a box with order status: Shipping company, Tracking #, Tracking link. Seeing this, I know I can check the status of my order anytime to see when it is updated.

vilimo wrote in post #18862091 (external link)
I had paid the offer promptly on Friday, May 10 through paypal. Despite numerous emails (first email sent on Monday) from me requesting shipping and tracking confirmation, until today, I have not received any info at all from them nor the seller.

vilimo wrote in post #18862103 (external link)
However, I started to get worried on Monday afternoon when the status still showing pending shipment and because of that I sent them a note to request shipping confirmation.

vilimo wrote in post #18862574 (external link)
I had called them twice - one on Tue pm and one on Wed pm - both were answered by a recording...
I sent emails to them on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. They finally responded to my email on Wed when I requested them to cancel the order as I had submitted a claim through paypal.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,895 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

May 17, 2019 11:33 |  #23

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18862778 (external link)
...It also says “Normally items ship in 1-2 business days”. In 3 business days, you told Greentoe you wanted to cancel the agreement and had already filed a claim with Paypal.

Just for clarity's sake, it is my understanding that the use of the term "business days" is to exclude Saturdays and Sundays ( which are referred to as the "weekend" by old farts like me.) Otherwise it would read "Normally items ship in 1-2 days".

I understand that many things have changed, including the days the post office delivers these days, but "business days" when specified I still understand to mean Monday - Friday.

So in this case, as I understand the term, as yet no full business days had passed.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

NDAPhoto
349 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by NDAPhoto. (2 edits in all)

May 17, 2019 12:26 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #24

No days passed before wanting the tracking number. Already worrying Monday, first business day, then sought to cancel on Wednesday, third business day. I know people like that who probably shouldn’t think about using Greentoe.

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2019 14:02 |  #25

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18862834 (external link)
NDAPhoto wrote in post #18862778 (external link)
...It also says “Normally items ship in 1-2 business days”. In 3 business days, you told Greentoe you wanted to cancel the agreement and had already filed a claim with Paypal.

Just for clarity's sake, it is my understanding that the use of the term "business days" is to exclude Saturdays and Sundays ( which are referred to as the "weekend" by old farts like me.) Otherwise it would read "Normally items ship in 1-2 days".

I understand that many things have changed, including the days the post office delivers these days, but "business days" when specified I still understand to mean Monday - Friday.

So in this case, as I understand the term, as yet no full business days had passed.

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18862863 (external link)
No days passed before wanting the tracking number. Already worrying Monday, first business day, then sought to cancel on Wednesday, third business day. I know people like that who probably shouldn’t think about using Greentoe.

NDAPhoto wrote in post #18862863 (external link)

:-P ... you guys are the best... cream of the crop ...

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2019 14:48 |  #26

vilimo wrote in post #18862747 (external link)
I agree with you that in that I should not compare GT's vendors / suppliers with B&H, Adorama or Amazon. As such, I had dialed down my expectation in terms of speed of delivery as I was not expecting an overnight / expedited service. However, I do expect that they would keep me updated / inform me on the order status (or even reply the email) - i.e. if there is any delays, etc. This is my biggest frustration / dissatisfaction with GT - not about the speed of delivery... it is the lack / absence of communication :D

I don't mean to sound harsh here but you've been on this board for 11 years and should know the risks of dealing with something like Greentoe. Camera prices are tightly controlled by the manufacturers while they are still current. If you want the latest gear the safest and surest way to get it is through B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and a few other good retailers depending on brand. In the last couple of weeks I've seen a dozen accounts such as yours, to me it's just not worth the grief.

Flickr (external link)

vilimo
THREAD ­ STARTER
558 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2019 15:06 |  #27

K6AZ wrote in post #18862947 (external link)
I don't mean to sound harsh here but you've been on this board for 11 years and should know the risks of dealing with something like Greentoe. Camera prices are tightly controlled by the manufacturers while they are still current. If you want the latest gear the safest and surest way to get it is through B&H, Adorama, Amazon, and a few other good retailers depending on brand. In the last couple of weeks I've seen a dozen accounts such as yours, to me it's just not worth the grief.

Yep, I thought I knew about the risk... :D ... especially given the positive experiences that many members here have with them. Well live and learn... :D

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,694 posts
Gallery: 537 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

May 17, 2019 22:21 |  #28

Always had great luck with GT. Bought my camera body and lens from them no issues at all.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 29, 2019 05:51 |  #29

vilimo wrote in post #18862569 (external link)
Wished I had come across that story before I pulled the trigger.... did cursory research in FM (not in great details) and did not see that thread unfortunately. However, I remember that a lot of members here had expressed good experience with GT (again could not find the thread unfortunately :( ). The savings may not be that significant but given that both B&H and Adorama (and Amazon) start charging sales tax, it adds up pretty quickly (no tax on my purchase from GT as the seller is from different state - saves approx. $150 on tax plus another $125 on the price of the body incl. adapter)

Have you seen this? https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com/credit-cards (external link) Seems like a smart way to save on the sales tax, but still use a reputable vendor.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,694 posts
Gallery: 537 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

May 29, 2019 09:38 |  #30

HelenOster wrote in post #18869164 (external link)
Have you seen this? https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com/credit-cards (external link) Seems like a smart way to save on the sales tax, but still use a reputable vendor.

It's good to see you around Helen!:-)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links

5,267 views & 33 likes for this thread
Greentoe - Not professional at all
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.