Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,390 posts
Gallery: 424 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 8 months ago by Archibald.

May 18, 2019 11:16 |  #10276

digital paradise wrote in post #18863406 (external link)
Personally I found Dot-Tune good but unrepeatable. I got different results but it may have been because of environmental conditions as I did it outdoors. The last time the author (Snapsy) at FM said he found the best results using his method at infinity. He would use rooftops, street signs, etc. Not sure if that is current. If you read those articles there is mention of inconsistency but others love it which happens with other methods. If it works for you great.

I usually redo the MFA each spring. I do find variation, but it is just a couple of points. Any time you do measuring of any kind, you will get variation due to chance.

There can also be the issue of AF inconsistency due to the lens, but that is a different issue!

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
Jack ­ Dawe
Goldmember
2,544 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 18, 2019 11:26 |  #10277

Jorgac wrote in post #18862934 (external link)
One of the things I do miss with Canon was this lens. A great lens to take on vacation with you when space is limited. These were with the 1.4X converter in Iceland. If anyone could id the bird for me I'd appreciate it.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jorgac in
./showthread.php?p=188​62934&i=i241869480
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Jorgac in
./showthread.php?p=188​62934&i=i33210608
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Super pics! It's a Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa islandica)

Canon 7D2 · 50 f/1.8 · 17-55 f/2.8 IS · 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM · 100 f/2.8 Macro · 100-400 L IS II
Picture editing is OK. CC always welcome.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 18, 2019 11:37 |  #10278

Archibald wrote in post #18863411 (external link)
I usually redo the MFA each spring. I do find variation, but it is just a couple of points. Any time you do measuring of any kind, you will get variation due to chance.

There can also be the issue of AF inconsistency due to the lens, but that is a different issue!

This is true with any method. It is always windy in Manitoba. You can't work and think lol. An old joke trying to build something outdoors on a very windy day. Also I just second guess my results too much which is I prefer Focal that tells me what adjustment to use.

As for MFA I was never thrilled about these various distance recommendations by different authors. When MFA first came out in a blog Chuck Westfall (RIP) said Canon recommended 50X but said said if you can do better. I thought what? I'm not whittling a toy horse. I'm working on thousands of dollars of precision equipment. You engineered it, you provide a reliable method. :-)

I think 50X was suggested at first because it was more forgiving so less customer problems and support calls. As this matured at location or the distance you normally shoot at made the most sense. The camera manuals say it is best to do this at the location.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 18, 2019 12:46 |  #10279

I'm always curious about Romy Ocon's approach. The first image shows a 500mm lens and at 50X which is 82 ft total DOF is 1.93 ft. At MFD which is 12 ft total DOF is 0.04 ft. So a drastic difference. I had to re-MFA one body at 560 and didn't have the space so I went about half the minimal distance Focal recommended and it seems OK. I'm going to experiment more with this one day when I need to MFA. Distances for some telephoto lenses are impractical.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Image Editing OK

harryv
459 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 18, 2019 12:52 |  #10280

digital paradise wrote in post #18863423 (external link)
This is true with any method. It is always windy in Manitoba. You can't work and think lol. An old joke trying to build something outdoors on a very windy day. Also I just second guess my results too much which is I prefer Focal that tells me what adjustment to use.

As for MFA I was never thrilled about these various distance recommendations by different authors. When MFA first came out in a blog Chuck Westfall (RIP) said Canon recommended 50X but said said if you can do better. I thought what? I'm not whittling a toy horse. I'm working on thousands of dollars of precision equipment. You engineered it, you provide a reliable method. :-)

I think 50X was suggested at first because it was more forgiving so less customer problems and support calls. As this matured at location or the distance you normally shoot at made the most sense. The camera manuals say it is best to do this at the location.

Sounds like you've used Focal software on your 100/400 with good results. I don't have any reservations on spending money for a good product but the reviews seemed to be all over the place, some good some not so good plus software chrashes.Even though I used the green dot method with success I would prefer to use the software for more precise results. Thanks for posting.
Harry

LIFE IS TO FAST, RECORD IT!!

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 18, 2019 12:53 |  #10281

Sorry for bumping so much. Things come back as I think about it. Many years ago during these conversations a member here said there was a company in Europe that did MFA with the super telephoto lenses at 21 ft or something like that. I asked for a link but never got one.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 18, 2019 12:57 |  #10282

harryv wrote in post #18863467 (external link)
Sounds like you've used Focal software on your 100/400 with good results. I don't have any reservations on spending money for a good product but the reviews seemed to be all over the place, some good some not so good plus software chrashes.Even though I used the green dot method with success I would prefer to use the software for more precise results. Thanks for posting.
Harry

No problem. It was a little wishy washy went it first came out but they really stabilised it with newer releases. I have been using it for about 4 years and repeat tests are consistent. Distance, lighting, target and ink type of said target are all important. Some don't read the manual.

Image Editing OK

harryv
459 posts
Joined Dec 2014

May 18, 2019 13:16 |  #10283

digital paradise wrote in post #18863470 (external link)
No problem. It was a little wishy washy went it first came out but they really stabilised it with newer releases. I have been using it for about 4 years and repeat tests are consistent. Distance, lighting, target and ink type of said target are all important. Some don't read the manual.

Thank you, did you purchase the software on a download or a disk from a dealer? If you don't mind. Thank you!
Harry

Jorgac
665 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Sep 2013

May 18, 2019 16:11 |  #10284

Jack Dawe wrote in post #18863416 (external link)
Super pics! It's a Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa islandica)

Thank you, Jack.

Name is Charles | Instagram charlesjorg
Fujifilm X-T3,X-100F, Nikon D850, D500, Nikkor 500mm F5.6 PF, Nikkor 300mm F4 PF, Nikkor 85mm F1.8, Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2, Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 macro, Tamron 17-35mm F2.8-4 Fuji XF 10-24mm F4, Fuji 16-80mm F4, Fuji 50-140mm F2.8, Fuji 100-400mm F4.5-5.6

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by digital paradise.

May 18, 2019 17:08 |  #10285

harryv wrote in post #18863476 (external link)
Thank you, did you purchase the software on a download or a disk from a dealer? If you don't mind. Thank you!
Harry

I downloaded it from the site.

An edit. The target needed a lot of light for the early versions but that was corrected as well.

Image Editing OK

harryv
459 posts
Joined Dec 2014

May 18, 2019 17:25 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #10286

Thank you.
Harry

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by digital paradise.

May 18, 2019 17:48 |  #10287

Lot's of good free ones out there. I hate to say it something is great when it comes to money. It is like telling people about a great restaurant you ate at for years and then the one time they go.

I'm picky about MFA. Last year I rented a community college to MFA at 800m :-) If a lens is really out like over 10 I'll send it to Canon. Check to see if you can get a refund in case you don't like it. I can only say it worked good for me.

Image Editing OK

zorroa3
156 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Aug 2013

May 19, 2019 10:28 |  #10288

Taken on a boat, at sunset, lighting was not idea. IS mode 3 on this lens worked very good.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
2,440 posts
Gallery: 1715 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 20, 2019 03:46 |  #10289

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from pcs's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

zorroa3
156 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 8 months ago by zorroa3.

May 20, 2019 09:43 |  #10290

More from the boat.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,604,372 views & 34,744 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.