Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 May 2019 (Monday) 17:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hats?

Dmab
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2019 17:03 |  #1

I’m curious what people wear for hats when they intend to shoot outside all day.

I would love to use a regular, cheap baseball cap but the brim always gets in the way when I have the camera to my eye, especially if I’m shooting portrait mode. I’m too old to get away with the backward cap look, also (anyone over 30 looks silly to me when they do that IMHO).

So that leaves a shorter brimmed hat like the classic fishing/boonie-type hats.

At beach events like volleyball or surf events, I’ve seen people walk around with those huge, straw hats as well.

So what is your hat of choice?

Dan
=======
Gear List

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,351 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 20, 2019 18:24 |  #2

I think it's location specific. I use to wear ball caps all the time when I lived in Chicago, but down here in TX, your ears would burn to a crisp in a hour or so. I prefer one of these (external link), a TX straw cowboy hat. Very comfortable and cool and keeps the sun off.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Dave63401
40 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2018

May 20, 2019 19:10 |  #3

I use a boonie hat. Had the same problem with ballcap bill. Too bald to go without something on sunny day if out much.

goalerjones
664 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Joined May 2018

May 20, 2019 19:12 |  #4

I just flip the baseball cap back to normal after I'm done shooting for a bit. And, as far as "getting away" with the look, nobody is going to care except maybe ur wife. And if she objects it overrides anyone else's opinion:) .

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,902 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 20, 2019 20:28 |  #5

If I’m shooting from my kayak or at the race track I use a hat with a long floppy back. Otherwise I wear a regular cap and turn it backwards to look silly.

Andrew | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,376 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

May 20, 2019 20:56 |  #6

Outdoors I use a Boonie hat. Brim all around protects the tops of the ears and the brim is soft enough that it'll just bend out of the way. I've sprayed a lot of DEET on mine to keep these Minnesota bugs at bay and, when it's hot out and I find a water source, a quick dunk in with the Boonie and then wring it out and it feels oh, so good, on the ol' noggin.

Best of all, they are only around $12 so if one gets lost, no worries.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,351 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 5 months ago by gjl711.

May 20, 2019 21:46 |  #7

Boonie hat (external link), like in Daniel Boone? :):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

wyntastr
756 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited 5 months ago by wyntastr.

May 21, 2019 08:56 |  #8

Boonie hat for me. Outdoors in Florida the sun will fry exposed skin on your head and neck in short order.

btw, my avatar pic shows me wearing one at a softball game.

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/2.8 IS L - EF 100-400L

simon_chowles
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2019

May 21, 2019 09:08 |  #9

Bonnie hat or baseball hat - my go two hats :)

Simon Chowles
The Photography Co - Dubai (external link)

BearSummer
925 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by BearSummer.

May 22, 2019 05:44 |  #10

UK specific but I guess they might ship international or you can find someone local with a similar stock

https://www.hatsandcap​s.co.uk …utback-hat-black-p135002/ (external link)

This is what I wear when out all day shooting for clients. Keeps the sun out of my eyes, brim is soft so will fold up if i have to shoot hand held and portrait (almost never happens) and can be squished up and stuffed into bag if you need to get it out of the way. Only draw back I have with it is that it doesn't have a chin/neck strap so in very windy conditions it may make a break for it. It has a small company label loop inside the brim (like at the collar of a t-shirt) threading a soft hairband through it and then popping a ponytail through that and that solves the problem for me. If you are pony tail free then you could use a card holder lanyard instead and clip that onto the hairband.

Be aware people will talk to you in this hat, for some reason its a great icebreaker however that does mean that it replace the invisible sign that says please talk to me that only special people can see.

It does also make a good shade for the front of the lens if your lens hood isn't deep enough.

All the best

BearSummer

Moderation is for people that can't handle excess.

Gear List.

RMyers
361 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 22, 2019 17:54 |  #11

I use a folding leather cowboy hat I picked up in Australia. Nice wide brim so I get good ear, neck and nose coverage, but brim is flexible enough to move out of the way. And the brim flexes in high wind so it is less likely to blow away. I treat the underside of the brim with bug stuff to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Rusty
Austin, TX

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,506 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

May 22, 2019 21:04 |  #12

I use a floppy gardeners hat. I started with baseball hats, but the hard brim was an issue. So these worked out best. Today the people I was shooting with - one had a fishing hat, the other something similar. All had soft brims on them. Not the strongest fashion statements, but they do the job.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,385 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 22, 2019 23:53 |  #13

Tilly hat (external link) for me. Sun can be pretty brutal here in Hong Kong.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,229 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 23, 2019 02:01 |  #14

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18865907 (external link)
Tilly hat (external link) for me. Sun can be pretty brutal here in Hong Kong.

Can't beat a tilley.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,142 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

May 23, 2019 03:49 |  #15

Dmab wrote in post #18864612 (external link)
I’m too old to get away with the backward cap look

just wait a few years, then (like me) you become invisible! then you can do exactly what you like. The backward cap look works well as you get sun-cover for the back of your neck as a bonus.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

1,223 views & 10 likes for this thread
Hats?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.