Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox X1 system integration thread

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,986 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 15, 2019 10:42 |  #1531

In my short experience with the EOS R, I'm seeing a lot of differences from the SLR experience that are simply a matter of a different type of tool...and I see a lot of people decrying things that are based solely on it being a different type of tool.

It's like back in the day when people were using a single-lens reflex for the first time, being used to rangefinders or twin-lens reflexes, complaining, "Every time I release the shutter, the image blinks out!"

I see a lot of complaints that stem basically from people not getting in depth with how the controls function, not reading the manual, and then objecting to people who point out that they didn't read the manual.

Of the various forums I frequent about the EOS R, people say, "My camera is doing this, my camera is doing that, anyone else having this problem?"

Unless the person has done the work of determining when and how the problem occurs, and can repeat it, and can tell me exactly how I need to set up my camera to repeat it myself, I don't pay much attention to them.

sponsored links
DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,677 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 16, 2019 12:55 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #1532

Wait i don't understand, so if you are having no issues why the need of trying to replicate a problem you don't have?

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,986 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 16, 2019 13:26 |  #1533

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18846559 (external link)
Wait i don't understand, so if you are having no issues why the need of trying to replicate a problem you don't have?

To determine if there is a problem and how common it might be.

Maybe I just haven't operated the camera...yet..in just that way.

Maybe if given that level of information I'd see why I've avoided the problem and someone else has run into it and point out a workaround.

Maybe it's just user error or user misunderstanding of the tool operation.

DigitalTuned
4,677 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by DigitalTuned.

Apr 16, 2019 15:46 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #1534

Well here are my settings

Regarding ISO issue I do not use ETTL what so ever

X1T v.25 in Manual
EOS R v1.0.0 or v1.1.0 in manual
And with speeds lights my ISO is generally 100.
I am not sure of this is occurring in any other shooting mode since I stick to manual all the time.

There is no settings I can tell you that will trigger this as it happens randomly. You can take take 10 - 20 shots and nothing will happen or you can take 10-20 shots and you will get the bug in between. There is no way for me to say which shot will likely get hit with the bug.

I also own the V860II and this past weekend I used it as a transmitter to set off my ad360ii. Using the same settings I used with the X1T mounted. I had zero issues in all 350 shots I took. It worked flawlessly just as they both work on my 550d, 5d2 and 5d3.

I change my ISO using the C.fn button on the top near the shutter release. There is no way I am accidentally moving the ISO. Also when the ISO jumps it ether jumps you 1600 or to auto. One thing I did was to set the auto iso limit to 200 (lowest allowed). This way if it jumps it will only jump ISO 200 and I can still work with the file. If it jumps to auto then ints another story.

BTW I have two X1T and the behavior is the same. I am convinced its a small bug with the X1T itself. Hopefully godox is listening and addressing this issue.. Other then that I dont know what else or what settings you would need to know..

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 22, 2019 16:50 |  #1535

I just did a test with both EOS R and RP. I used an X1Tc that I've had for a long time. Not even sure what version number, but I think I updated everything last fall so may be latest version.

AD200 flash, cameras in M mode, ISO 200, used various shutter speeds ranging into HSS range.

First test shot with R ISO changed from 200 to Auto. I checked and tightened the locking screw on the X1Tc to minimize its play on the camera. After that no change o ISO.

Then tested RP, again making sure that locking screw on X1Tc was tight. No ISO shift.

This was a problem with 580II speedlites long ago with the locking screw for tightening the flash to the camera.z

The slightest shift of the control pins on the pads can mess up the signaling between camera and flash.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DigitalTuned
4,677 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 22, 2019 16:58 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #1536

I noticed that too and mainly when flipped the camera vertically this would happen.

Isaac
Abraham Lincoln

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 22, 2019 17:03 |  #1537

DigitalTuned wrote in post #18849927 (external link)
I noticed that too and mainly when flipped the camera vertically this would happen.

You may be hitting the X1T when shifting to vertical, or it may otherwise be twisiting in the hot shoe. When it happens wiggle the X1T to see how loose it is and push it forward at the same time to help reseat it.

That always worked with the speedlites. May work with the X1T as well. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

nixland
515 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2019 03:28 |  #1538

dmward wrote in post #18849923 (external link)
I just did a test with both EOS R and RP. I used an X1Tc that I've had for a long time. Not even sure what version number, but I think I updated everything last fall so may be latest version.

AD200 flash, cameras in M mode, ISO 200, used various shutter speeds ranging into HSS range.

First test shot with R ISO changed from 200 to Auto. I checked and tightened the locking screw on the X1Tc to minimize its play on the camera. After that no change o ISO.

Then tested RP, again making sure that locking screw on X1Tc was tight. No ISO shift.

This was a problem with 580II speedlites long ago with the locking screw for tightening the flash to the camera.z

The slightest shift of the control pins on the pads can mess up the signaling between camera and flash.

Thanks for the info. So it's about the loose connection on the hotshoe then.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,338 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited 1 month ago by ptcanon3ti.

May 21, 2019 21:25 |  #1539

This is cool.

Godox Unveils the X2T Trigger with Bluetooth and a Better UI
MAY 21, 2019

https://petapixel.com …luetooth-and-a-better-ui/ (external link)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

inkista
637 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 1 month ago by inkista. (2 edits in all)

May 23, 2019 19:53 |  #1540

Robert Hall has a video (natch): https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=geggPQ21LUU (external link)

I really like something nobody's mentioned in any of the previews: they've moved the foot to the right, so Fuji users with flat-top rangefinder-style X100, X-E, or XPro bodies won't have the shutter speed dial and shutter button obstructed (external link) any more. And that the Pentax version has been announced is nice (still no news on a -P version of the TT685, V860II, or V350; but a V1-P is listed).

What I don't like is that it doesn't look like it does TCM, and the menus (external link) don't have single-pin mode.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Dec 2015

May 24, 2019 01:04 |  #1541

I agree it looks cool, although I'm finding the V1 is also a very nice controller when I want a speedlight on-camera, so I'm not sure if I need one. (I'll get one anyway, who am I kidding...)

inkista wrote in post #18866314 (external link)
What I don't like is that it doesn't look like it does TCM, and the menus (external link) don't have single-pin mode.

But about TCM: I was sad to see that the V1 appears to do TCM only when used as a standalone on-camera flash - not when used as a multi-group controller. Since the Pro II controller seems to be able to do muti-group TCM, I kind of expected the newer V1 to have this capability (Unless I'm missing something.) So this new controller not doing TCM is interesting, in a bad way.

Maybe I'll go make a burnt offering to the Godox firmware peoples...?

Owen.

inkista
637 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 24, 2019 14:25 |  #1542

owenegan wrote in post #18866429 (external link)
But about TCM: I was sad to see that the V1 appears to do TCM only when used as a standalone on-camera flash ...

I think that was an unpleasant surprise for everyone.

Maybe I'll go make a burnt offering to the Godox firmware peoples...?

Or at least email them about it (and single-pin mode). Couldn't hurt. I'm still amazed at what happens with my TT600 when I put it in S1 mode and MULTI (it repeatedly fires until I turn it off; the latter pulses in the MULTI sequence re-trigger the optical slave so it just keeps going...) Not heard a peep, but maybe someday they'll update it to not do that, and be firmware upgradeable (so we can use ID codes with it, turn off that stupid blinking red LED, etc) and have a slidelock foot; maybe even a UI more consistent with the TT685's.

Also, it would be nice if it could do HSS with my XPro-F (eyeroll).

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 24, 2019 16:21 |  #1543

inkista wrote in post #18866748 (external link)
I think that was an unpleasant surprise for everyone.

Or at least email them about it (and single-pin mode). Couldn't hurt. I'm still amazed at what happens with my TT600 when I put it in S1 mode and MULTI (it repeatedly fires until I turn it off; the latter pulses in the MULTI sequence re-trigger the optical slave so it just keeps going...) Not heard a peep, but maybe someday they'll update it to not do that, and be firmware upgradeable (so we can use ID codes with it, turn off that stupid blinking red LED, etc) and have a slidelock foot; maybe even a UI more consistent with the TT685's.

Also, it would be nice if it could do HSS with my XPro-F (eyeroll).

Your life could be more zen if you viewed these as "features" and not "defects". :lol:

inkista
637 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 24, 2019 21:33 |  #1544

SamFrench wrote in post #18866801 (external link)
Your life could be more zen if you viewed these as "features" and not "defects". :lol:

No, no, the saying in high-tech is "it's a feature not a bug!" And yeah, part and parcel of the $65 pricetag. :)

owenegan
THREAD ­ STARTER
296 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 12, 2019 02:03 |  #1545

Hi.

I'm trying to better understand when Godox controller units or flashes acting as controllers send their power-setting signals.

Robert Hall says that V860II flashes *always* send the power control signals before each flash. (See 1:45 here: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=PCn2Dk1IAPk (external link))

That does not seem to be the case with my V860IIC (1.7 firmware), nor with my new V1s (Canon varient).

Worse, the new V1 does not have the "SHOOT" menu entry found on recent standalone controllers (X-Pro, X-ProII) that allows the user to specify whether s/he wants the controlling flash to always send a power-control signal before each exposure.

The only way I know of to cause my V860IIC or V1 to send power-control info is to either press the test-flash button, or to power-cycle the flash.

Can anyone with experience with Godox multi-controller setups (preferably Canon varients) offer any insight? Any speculation as to why the "SHOOT" menu options found on the standalone controllers did not find their way onto the V1?

Thanks,

Owen.

sponsored links

463,271 views & 423 likes for this thread
Godox X1 system integration thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.