Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 20:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 77D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Gallery: 546 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2019 17:10 |  #136

Cobrastryker wrote in post #18788934 (external link)
Hi everyone,
New here, have a 77d up from a finepix s7000, now trying to take a serious look at photography and expand it as a hobby.

The 77D is a great camera. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

One thing I'm initially looking for is a USB charger that will charge the OEM battery ..

Anyone found one, eBay poss?

A USB charger for a Canon DSLR? Have you heard of such a thing?

I believe USB is 5 volts and those DSLR batteries are around 7 volts... plus I suspect the current the USB could deliver would be inadequate to charge up those relatively large DSLR batteries.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here
I'm probably listening to the Beethoven Channel (external link).

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,607 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 10, 2019 18:26 |  #137

Archibald wrote in post #18788948 (external link)
A USB charger for a Canon DSLR? Have you heard of such a thing?

I believe USB is 5 volts and those DSLR batteries are around 7 volts... plus I suspect the current the USB could deliver would be inadequate to charge up those relatively large DSLR batteries.

Yes, surprisingly they exist! And folks who have purchase similar units have reported that they indeed work in a reasonable amount of time.
https://www.amazon.com …s=usb+charger+c​anon+6d+ii (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 10, 2019 20:17 |  #138

Wilt wrote in post #18788990 (external link)
Yes, surprisingly they exist! And folks who have purchase similar units have reported that they indeed work in a reasonable amount of time.

Interesting, I would not have thought it.

Most USB bricks (chargers that plug into the wall) are only 5v and ~1 amp, and most car USB ports are even weaker IIRC, so I wonder how this gadget makes 8.4 volt at 0.8 amp. But you are right, most reviews are positive. Maybe they are using it with 2 amp bricks or are just tolerant of the slower charge.

For now I think I will stick to my OEM chargers. :-)

RodS57
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 10, 2019 21:14 |  #139

Archibald wrote in post #18789059 (external link)
Interesting, I would not have thought it.

Most USB bricks (chargers that plug into the wall) are only 5v and ~1 amp, and most car USB ports are even weaker IIRC, so I wonder how this gadget makes 8.4 volt at 0.8 amp. But you are right, most reviews are positive. Maybe they are using it with 2 amp bricks or are just tolerant of the slower charge.

For now I think I will stick to my OEM chargers. :-)

I haven't looked to confirm the usb max amperage spec but I have a 5 port charger with a max output of 8 amps. It works well. This is on a/c wall voltage of course. The point is if the current is there it is probably not hard to jack up the output voltage. Don't ask me how. :-)

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Archibald
You must be quackers!
12,014 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Archibald. (3 edits in all)

Jan 10, 2019 21:41 |  #140

RodS57 wrote in post #18789099 (external link)
I haven't looked to confirm the usb max amperage spec but I have a 5 port charger with a max output of 8 amps. It works well. This is on a/c wall voltage of course. The point is if the current is there it is probably not hard to jack up the output voltage. Don't ask me how. :-)

Rod

Sure, with electronics you can boost the voltage. But the amps will go down if you do that.

I noticed somewhere else that one of these USB chargers was stated to use an input of 5v at 2 amps. Brick chargers used for tablets will deliver juice like that. With such an input, 8.4v at 0.8 amps out of the USB charger sounds quite reasonable.

Your charger would work fine for this of course.

My 77D OEM charger has an output of 8.4v at 0.7A, so one of these USB chargers would be able to deliver that and more provided it is fed enough amps. I did also notice somebody mentioning that one of these USB chargers might overcharge the battery, implying that it might not have the control circuitry that the OEM chargers have.

Inspeqtor
You do not think I can be normal??
11,289 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 11, 2019 02:14 |  #141

Wilt wrote in post #18788990 (external link)

Wilt,

Do you know why the Canon Charger has 4 charging clips, and the PowerExtra has only 2?

Are the 2 extra in the Canon not really needed to do a charge?

Thank you

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,607 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2019 09:42 as a reply to  @ Inspeqtor's post |  #142

One is most likdely a connection to a thermistor, used to prevent overcharging the cell, by allowing the rise in temperature to be accurately measured...it is logical that is the terminal labeled 'T'. There also is terminal is connected to a charge controller, that uses this to control the charger that is providing the power to charge...it is logical that is the terminal labeled 'C'.

I think one is asking for trouble (at the minimum, a prematurely failed battery; at worst, an exploded battery) due to improper charging by a 'stupid' charger.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Inspeqtor
You do not think I can be normal??
11,289 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 16, 2019 09:55 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #143

Thank you. Most of what you said was way over my head, like the word "thermistor" but I will stay away from this or any LIKE chargers, and stick with Canon only.

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Cobrastryker
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2019

Jan 16, 2019 16:15 |  #144

Hi everyone,
Thanks for replies, sorry not been on net for a bit.

I actually found this

https://www.ebay.com.a​u …wb-Rb001P&redirect=mobile (external link)

Not many fully decoded versions around.

I accept its not as good as the canon charger, but the batteries are fine and will be perfect for my use, which is ocassional recharge in field from vehicle

allen456
33 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2018

Jan 17, 2019 20:28 as a reply to  @ post 18788934 |  #145

I got an after market power supply for mine from B&H Photo. Canon now detects that it is after market and when I use it the camera pops a message asking if it bears the Canon logo. You have to click yes, then it will tell you that they are not responsible for any damage that it may cause and asks if you want to continue. I click yes and then I can use it. A pain in the rear but beats paying the outrageous price for a Canon supply.

Cobrastryker
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2019

Jan 17, 2019 21:10 as a reply to  @ allen456's post |  #146

Yeah that's cos it's not decoded.
Often the battery guage doesn't work either, but decoded batteries don't give any warning screens and guage works.

Bit harder to find but worth the effort.

Zues
60 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 27, 2019 17:33 |  #147

Its been awhile since I have had a chance to go out and take some photos.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D, 50D, 77D | EF 50mm 1.8 STM | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | EF-S 17-85mm IS | EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8| EF 75-300mm

allen456
33 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2018

May 22, 2019 14:32 |  #148

Pictures from Devil's Garden, Escalante, Utah. Straight from the camera, other than saving to JPG no processing.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

EMSA
250 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 23, 2019 14:00 |  #149

i will be getting my 77D tomorrow. will start using it this weekend.
i'm going to slap a 24mm f/1.4L soon so bare with me while i get some shots. i just wanted to write so i can subscribe to thread :)

Facebook Fan Page ;) (external link)
~Pictures or it didn't happen~

Kasrielle
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 26, 2019 12:59 |  #150

I was out and about with the 77D and my Tamron 100-400 and Tamron 90. I love these lenses with the 77D.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

www.photosbykas.com (external link)
my Flickr Page (external link)
500px.com/Kasrielle (external link)

sponsored links

84,327 views & 290 likes for this thread
-= 77D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.