I just picked one up, I'm a 7d mk ii shooter but wanted something that hopefully will be better in low light. (burlesque club) and funds ruled out the 5d mkiv. not keen on the 1 card slot, the lack of a strobe pc port really threw me and was shocked by the lack of af controls vs the 7d mk ii. I got about a week time frame left if I want to send it back to bhphoto.
am I just being too hard on the camera.
You've got to have a camera that works for you; if it doesn't tick your boxes then you're surely right to ditch it.
In my case I view it very much as a replacement for my 5DII, and from that viewpoint it's a substantial upgrade: anti-flicker, more res, better high ISO, MFA at wide and tele end for zooms, faster max fps, less shutter button lag, in-vf level meter, flip-out touch-screen, in-VF grid. Even the UI for reviewing and zooming in to shots is more consistent with my 5D4 vs the older 5DII. The only things I lose: joystick (but its inclusion on the 5D2 was kind of irrelevant), reduction in max sync speed for flash (my 5D2 was dodgy at 1/200 anyway, so in practice no change), reduction in max shutter speed (that hasn't hurt me yet, but it could be a drag if I get one of the f/1.2 Ls). The 5DII only had one card slot and I've never used two cards in my 5D4 so that's a non-issue to me.
Would I swap my 5D4 for another 6DII and a handful of cash? Nope! But I chose the 6DII over a used 5D3 as my new second body and I'm not regretting that decision at all.