Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 29 May 2019 (Wednesday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D line to end

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by wysiwyg59.

May 29, 2019 13:12 |  #1

We’ve mentioned a few times previously that there would be no follow-up to the EOS 7D Mark II. We’re again hearing more about the demise of the EOS 7D series in favour of an EOS R solution. We may be beating a dead horse a bit here.

Will it be an APS-C EOS R?

We have been told that a few dealers and distributors are a bit worried about what Canon has in store for the replacement to the popular EOS 7D Mark II, as those buyers also buy lenses, more than EOS 80D buyers do. Canon has apparently told a couple of dealers that this concern will be addressed sometime later in 2019.

There has also been talk that an EOS R replacement for the EOS 7D Mark II will require the RF mount to meet target focusing speed and accuracy. Apparently, there’s more to come with the RF mount that has yet to be revealed to the world. We were given no additional insight into what we haven’t been told.

We expect an EOS 80D replacement to come sometime in 2019 that may cover EOS 7D Mark II shooters with improvements.

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,203 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

May 29, 2019 13:20 |  #2

Canon split the 7D from the 50D back in 2009, and ten years later, they are likely going to announce the merging of the two lines again into a single final hurrah of the xxD/7D series, ala the 90D. There won't be a 100D for certain, but they could always use 95D if they want yet another later. I would think the 90D will be the absolute last DSLR in that prosumer crop body space though.

They did the same naming thing for the SL series (100D, 200D, then 250D, because they couldn't use 300D).

I expect to see 1 or 2 more Rebel DSLRs, a mybrid 80D/7D (90D) DSLR, and a 1D series DSLR. I would be surprised if we see any more than these 3 or 4 DSLRs. This will help clean up any inventory of parts as well as try to drum up sales.

In the mirrorless space, I expect to see another M offering, a high res R version, a high performance APS C R, and then lastly a pro 1D-like EOS R, most likely in the 2020 timeframe. The M offering may be this year yet, and perhaps the high res R near the end of the year. Right now Canon is pumping out the RF lenses.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,713 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 30, 2019 04:28 |  #3

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #18869309 (external link)
We’ve mentioned a few times previously that there would be no follow-up to the EOS 7D Mark II. We’re again hearing more about the demise of the EOS 7D series in favour of an EOS R solution. We may be beating a dead horse a bit here.

Will it be an APS-C EOS R?

We have been told that a few dealers and distributors are a bit worried about what Canon has in store for the replacement to the popular EOS 7D Mark II, as those buyers also buy lenses, more than EOS 80D buyers do. Canon has apparently told a couple of dealers that this concern will be addressed sometime later in 2019.

There has also been talk that an EOS R replacement for the EOS 7D Mark II will require the RF mount to meet target focusing speed and accuracy. Apparently, there’s more to come with the RF mount that has yet to be revealed to the world. We were given no additional insight into what we haven’t been told.

We expect an EOS 80D replacement to come sometime in 2019 that may cover EOS 7D Mark II shooters with improvements.

So, who are “WE” and where did “WE” get their information from?

Just curious to know as to whether what you posted is your own thoughts based on extensive research, or whether it has been plagiarised from another website?

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
-. --- - .--- ..- ... - .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- --..-- .- -. --- - .... . .-. -.. .- -.-- - --- . -..- -.-. . .-..

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 30, 2019 08:05 |  #4

So it looks like no 7D3. I AM NOT surprised at this

Kind of felt this way all along despite all the hopefuls saying it was going to happen

I also predict, and its just a gut feeling......the 1Dx3 will be mirrorless. I just dont see a Mirrored 1Dx3

Canon is completely dedicated to the R mounts and R lens

As i said 6 months ago.......EVERYTHING is going to change in the canon camp- this R mount announcement is a BIG BIG DEAL

I am personally not buying anything until things settle down. I am keeping my 1Dx2 and 5D4 until Canon announces mirrorless bodies that are on par to the Sony A7111 and A9's. Until that happens, there is nothing in canons future for me to consider for professional needs.

If I were a buyer, I would not purchase a mirrored 1Dx2 and 5D4 unless i was heavily invested in glass and I was going to stay put with a body for a few years. I think EF glass will hold its value and might even increase a little. The adapter for the EOS R make EF glass desirable in my opinion. The R mount lens are very very expensive. So I think people like me are waiting to see what they will do and will not buy a dam thing until things settle down. As much as I love the optics......canon is not remotely close to Sony Mirrorless bodies and technology.

A Canon body equal to the A7111 or A9 and pros and heavily invested shooters will probably make a change because they can move gradually into the system with the EF lens that will still work....Until canon does this.....my suggestion is to dont buy anything.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,203 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

May 30, 2019 08:09 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #5

The 1DX3 is already in field testing as of the beginning of the year, and expectations were told to be "evolutionary, not revolutionary".

It is HIGHLY unlikely the 1DX3 will be mirrorless. The pro R won't be announced until the 1DX3 is basically hitting shelves.

There will be 3-4 DSLRs announced yet over the next 1-2 years (90D, 1-2 rebels, 1DX3), perhaps a couple new EOS Ms, and then I suspect it will be all mirrorless (EOS M, APSC R, HiRes R, and pro R).

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by umphotography.

May 30, 2019 08:14 |  #6

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18869722 (external link)
The 1DX3 is already in field testing as of the beginning of the year, and expectations were told to be "evolutionary, not revolutionary".

Thats a rumor. No one has seen it. We dont know for sure

However, If they do release a 1Dx3 mirrored body, I wont be buying one. Whats the point. Invest now, 5K, for a body that will me replaced by a mirrorless body within 6 months........Foolish move on Canon part. I think people wont buy at all. Why would anyone invest big $$$ for a camera thats going to be obsolete. The future per Canon is R mounts.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,203 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

May 30, 2019 13:02 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #7

There is ABSOLUTELY no way Canon developed 3 mirrorless FF bodies to the point that a 1D equivalent is in the hands of testers. It isn't even in the realm of possibility. That is true based on a) Canon R&D cycles, b) seeing what they already released on the R/RP and how far they are still from something like the aging Sony A9, and c) based on very reputable rumor sources.

However it is certainly expectant that Canon started the 1DX3 quite some time ago, and will try to beef it up enough to entice people (probably with more resolution, like the 5D4 sensor since it is so close to the 1DX2) and if they created some sort of 1DX3 equivalent of the 5D4, they will likely have a pretty good hit on their hands. Let's say it is the 5D4 sensor and has true 4K capability, and it shoots 15fps? That will get alot of sports shooters pretty darn excited, and I would think wildlife and event shooters too.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 30, 2019 15:08 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18869865 (external link)
There is ABSOLUTELY no way Canon developed 3 mirrorless FF bodies to the point that a 1D equivalent is in the hands of testers. It isn't even in the realm of possibility. That is true based on a) Canon R&D cycles, b) seeing what they already released on the R/RP and how far they are still from something like the aging Sony A9, and c) based on very reputable rumor sources.

However it is certainly expectant that Canon started the 1DX3 quite some time ago, and will try to beef it up enough to entice people (probably with more resolution, like the 5D4 sensor since it is so close to the 1DX2) and if they created some sort of 1DX3 equivalent of the 5D4, they will likely have a pretty good hit on their hands. Let's say it is the 5D4 sensor and has true 4K capability, and it shoots 15fps? That will get alot of sports shooters pretty darn excited, and I would think wildlife and event shooters too.

If it has a mirror no one is going to get excited. All you have to do is PU and A9 and find out why

I have my last 2 DSR's. I can hold out for 3-4 more years. I suspect many will do the same. Why invest that kind of $$$$ when a mirrorless equivalent is around the corner....they have to come up with an answer to the A9 or these fancy new R mount lens will sit on the shelves.

Thats my .o2 cents

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,203 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

May 30, 2019 15:44 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #9

I personally don't care if it has a mirror, I would love a 1D equivalent of the 5D4 (with a bit more even than the 1DX2 or 5D4). Mirror or no mirror... Doesn't affect sports shooting for me personally. I would be interested in such a 1D depending on its price of course. I have no desire to go RF lenses at this time, because it isn't worth the investment for me. I will wait for prices to drop on all of them here in the next year or two before considering them.

I have a mirrorless that works quite well for the other things that a mirrorless is pretty good at for other things I shoot. It does landscapes well, macros extremely well, and even a tiny bit of sports/action.

I suspect there are many other pro shooters out there that would welcome a higher resolution faster AF 1D version of the 5D4, along with some other newer perks, if it had a mirror. ;) Will they sell tons? Probably not, in the last year, it seems the number of defectors to other manufacturers models has been at an all time high.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,542 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Croasdail. (2 edits in all)

May 31, 2019 11:13 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18869722 (external link)

It is HIGHLY unlikely the 1DX3 will be mirrorless. The pro R won't be announced until the 1DX3 is basically hitting shelves.

There will be 3-4 DSLRs announced yet over the next 1-2 years (90D, 1-2 rebels, 1DX3), perhaps a couple new EOS Ms, and then I suspect it will be all mirrorless (EOS M, APSC R, HiRes R, and pro R).

But who is going to want an "evolutionary" 1Dx3? Whats it going to do. Push high ISO even further? How much higher does it need to go? I don't hear anyone saying if only the 1Dx2 could shoot in darker venues. Your not going to get that mirror to flip up and down much faster.... its been in that range now for over 20 years. The whole mechanics/physics is starting to be an issue. Even Sony is hitting some physics limitations (for the cost). And with full sensor read capability coming.... plus your getting into the world of video capture, and with 8k video coming. I'm just not sure what they can do that is evolutionary that would interest me.

The whole thing is a mess. I do believe a 90D is coming, and I think it will be a merger of the 80D with the 7D. And it will probably be the best value APS-C camera out there. For those holding on to their mirrors, I think it will be a good camera. Higher ISO. Better focus. Better video capture. There is still room for evolutionary growth there in Canon's APS-C camera line.

I just don't see a $6,000 evolutionary camera body being that interesting coming from Canon. It's got to be able to beat the A9... at a competitive price point.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 31, 2019 12:06 |  #11

This doesn't surprise me. Not sure if this means you will better performance out of dedicated RF mount lenses.

There has also been talk that an EOS R replacement for the EOS 7D Mark II will require the RF mount to meet target focusing speed and accuracy.

https://www.canonrumor​s.com …-canon-eos-7d-series-cr2/ (external link)

I also see version 4 TC's coming out. Nothing like making a wholesale change for a revenue boost.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,203 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

May 31, 2019 13:58 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #12

I hope it is mirrorless but I just don't see it. Also it better beat the A9 especially with the current $1000 sale from Sony making the A9 $3500 brand new. If it is mirrorless, I am convinced it won't beat the A9. The EOS R doesn't really beat the A7III, in its own price range.

However too, you underestimate the number of those that want DSLRs. There are threads on various boards where people still want DSLRs with improved sensors and speed and would buy them in a heartbeat. Mirrorless isn't for everyone.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,134 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 31, 2019 18:09 |  #13

umphotography wrote in post #18869725 (external link)

That applies to everything in this thread though... including the title subject.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,016 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2019 19:35 |  #14

Croasdail wrote in post #18870358 (external link)
But who is going to want an "evolutionary" 1Dx3?

Agencies and corporations that purchase at regular time intervals. . They don't really care about the specs - they just buy "on schedule", the same way many government agencies retire vehicles and replace them with new ones when they hit a given age or mileage. . A huge amount of the pro-class gear is bought in this manner by corporate and government customers. . This is how the majority of the pro-level gear is sold.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,016 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2019 19:39 |  #15

umphotography wrote in post #18869725 (external link)

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18870538 (external link)
That applies to everything in this thread though... including the title subject.

Jake, I thought that within the past few days, Canon themselves said that the 7D line would come to an end ….. didn't they? . If that is the case, and I have heard as much from several sources, then it is indeed a fact and not a rumor.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

2,047 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon 7D line to end
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.