Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

deglopper
57 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2019 08:59 |  #4471

Good news on the software front - FastRawViewer (https://www.fastrawvie​wer.com/ (external link)) now supports CR3 files directly - and they have done that by reverse engineering the format. Hopefully that work will be shared with the open source community... FastRawViewer also runs well under wine on Linux.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 31, 2019 10:16 |  #4472

Anybody jump from a 5D mk IV to an R now regretting it? I've a 5D mk III and the wife's away for the weekend, and the R is singing to me. But I'm not quite sold so it may be a mk IV, either way, the mk III is gone, so may OOF shots, been adjusted by Canon, no better, so it has to go......

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006
Post edited 10 months ago by inthedeck.

May 31, 2019 10:32 as a reply to  @ welshwizard1971's post |  #4473

No regrets moving from a 1Dx (aside from having no built in grip). Having come from a 5Dc, I can say the R is another type of dream. Larger file sizes are making my machine struggle a bit (even with 32GB of RAM), but, shy of that, getting more and more used to using the body. Adapted glass, as many have mentioned, works just fine. Beyond that, it's your comfort level with ML cam's. They are the future, no matter what anyone says.

As some have mentioned, prior, pair it with a SDXC UHS-ii card with v90, as the minimum standard, and the camera will react very nicely. ;) Benchmarked to be one of the best, with the R, is the Lexar 2000x SDXC card...amongst others. 64GB can be had for 90 bucks, today, with a Lexar reader. Prices fluctuate...but, oh well.

https://alikgriffin.co​m …memory-cards-canon-eos-r/ (external link)

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,696 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 31, 2019 10:53 |  #4474

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18870333 (external link)
Anybody jump from a 5D mk IV to an R now regretting it? I've a 5D mk III and the wife's away for the weekend, and the R is singing to me. But I'm not quite sold so it may be a mk IV, either way, the mk III is gone, so may OOF shots, been adjusted by Canon, no better, so it has to go......

I have't "jumped" as I still have the 5D4.
my only learning curve issue is right thumb... after a decade or so of having that big wheel on the back, it's gone... and replaced with a smaller wheel higher up... and the way I hold the camera makes it a bit difficult for thumb to properly reach... but that's just learning curve and adapting to this physical change - the functions of the wheels are (or can be) the same

I've used it for baseball/softball, and track and field - mostly kids stuff... never once did I wish I was using the 5D4 or 7D2, but someone more into sports may want those...

really loving the no-focus adjustments needed for lenses, Sigma specifically - I'm a big Sigma fan!

EOS R / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

wxjef
133 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2019

May 31, 2019 10:54 |  #4475

I jumped from the 5dmkii to the R which in itself is a huge upgrade. While I was looking the mkiv was on my radar as well. I opted to go for the R since it was new, had better support for older lenses, no MFA calibration and so on, the ability to see the shot before you hit the shutter and it was about 1k cheaper, a diet 5dmkiv I suppose.

I also opted for the R over the RP since I thought the R would have options to grow into (mainly video stuff).

I'm still not entirely sure why I opted for the R. I mean the images are good, it's a huge step up from my previous camera but I'm not entirely convinced on this system.

Often since I've had the R I do wonder if I should have got the 5dmkiv instead, or even the RP.

Personally I have found it pretty intuitive, just able to open the box, get my image quality settings set and taking photos almost instantly. I did find some quirks about it, nothing major just need to adjust myself to the nuances of the camera. Last couple outings with at least a short lens I've found myself holding the camera out like a p&s instead of using the evf.

Another reason for this camera for me is I thought Linux would work for the files a bit easier since it'd been out for a bit. Turns out that is not the case.

So yeah I do wonder if the 5dmkiv or RP would have suited me better. I have no RF glass (kinda not needed) and the backwards compatibly of RF lenses to EF mount and the prices irk me.

If you know you are going to be doing still only and sticking with the RF mount for future glass purchases maybe the RP. Or even if you have a nice EF glass collection since it adapts well.

I do find the R a bit slower to work with, it's not unusable mind you. It seems more suited for landscape or studio tripod work but people here are posting bird and wildlife shots.

Sorry if this didn't answer your question or help and was an off tangent blob of text. Just relaying my thoughts and experience of this camera so far.

The images are nice! :-)

timd35
224 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

May 31, 2019 10:55 as a reply to  @ welshwizard1971's post |  #4476

I have the 5DIV and picked up the R back in Feb so I have had a little bit of time with it as well as just got back from two and a half weeks in Italy and Greece with it. I am just a hobbyist but sell stock images and do some side work when asked. I have really liked the 5DIV but I just got the shutter count on it and fixin to put it up for sale after spending time with the R. :-)

At times I would like a little faster FPS when doing sports but for the longest I did some sports for a few teams with a 10D (3 FPS) back in the day :-)

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

May 31, 2019 11:27 |  #4477

One more thing I do like, a lot, is the focus guide. Small little thing, but, it's just great. ;)

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,696 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 31, 2019 11:28 |  #4478

inthedeck wrote in post #18870365 (external link)
One more thing I do like, a lot, is the focus guide. Small little thing, but, it's just great. ;)

and the focus peaking!

EOS R / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

squashed
Goldmember
4,199 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 31, 2019 13:24 |  #4479

I did but not by choice as my 5d MKIV was killed by a water accident. Even if this wasn't the case I certainly would not be regretting it. I have pretty much dialed in the R to my liking and it's a pretty awesome "little" camera. The size is something i'm really loving.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 31, 2019 15:35 |  #4480

None of you are helping my bank balance, thanks for your replies :)

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 31, 2019 17:31 as a reply to  @ welshwizard1971's post |  #4481

I had a 5D4, bough the R thinking it would be a second camera to compliment the 5D. After 6 weeks, sold the 5D4 and haven’t regretted it one bit.

Only caveat is if you do sports/fast action the R isn’t quite “up to speed” in it AF tracking abilities. But I have other cameras that make up for that and didn’t use my 5D4 for that purpose anyway.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 31, 2019 17:32 as a reply to  @ welshwizard1971's post |  #4482

Yes we are, R is cheaper than the 5D4! ;-)a

Wayne...

nardes
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Gallery: 521 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Jun 2009

May 31, 2019 19:59 |  #4483

Elabana Falls in the Lamington National Park. A 5-stack HDR composition in LR.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 31, 2019 20:58 |  #4484

How is the focus peaking with non-reporting lenses? Easy to see in the EVF? Accurate?

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,494 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 10 months ago by LoneRider.

May 31, 2019 21:43 |  #4485

Watching a reflection on the wall...

HOSTED PHOTO

Nappin’ in the sunshine...

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...

1,251,868 views & 20,133 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.