Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 02 Jun 2019 (Sunday) 22:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What exactly is macro?

Terry ­ McDaniel
425 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 02, 2019 22:40 |  #1

And is cropping cheating? Here are two versions of the same photo, one original and one cropped. The actual size of the spider is approximately 1/2 inch.
I’m back in the Canon family, wife bought me an EOS T7i. Picture was taken with 18-55 kit lens at 55, with a Raynox macro attachment on front.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
hayath
Goldmember
1,799 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2019 02:42 |  #2

Technically it would mean shooting at 1:1 magnification, but that can also be applied to "effective" final image
Cropping can't be avoided in many situations, especially in nature photography.

Leave the technicalities aside, enjoy what you shoot (and see) ;)

Hayath
Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Picasa (external link)

Terry ­ McDaniel
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 03, 2019 06:44 as a reply to  @ hayath's post |  #3

Thanks.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,630 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Jun 03, 2019 10:21 |  #4

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #18871684 (external link)
What exactly is macro?
The actual size of the spider is approximately 1/2 inch.

True macro means that the object in the scene is being recorded at life size or larger.

In other words, if this spider is 1/2 inch, then the spider itself would occupy 1/2 inch of space on your sensor.

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #18871684 (external link)
And is cropping cheating?

It isn't about the final output, it is about the media that the image is originally recorded on. . Therefore, cropping doesn't even enter into the equation because that is something that is done after the image is recorded.

The term "macro" is misused all the time. . People would be better served to use the term "close up" photography when they are not doing true macro work. . I do a lot of close up work with my 100-400mm zoom, due to its close minimum focusing distance ....... but I cannot do macro work with it because it does not even come close to recording images at life size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Terry ­ McDaniel
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 03, 2019 10:57 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #5

That makes sense. So the next question, should I even be posting close ups in the macro forum? Maybe we need a new forum. :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,630 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 03, 2019 11:32 |  #6

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #18871913 (external link)
That makes sense. So the next question, should I even be posting close ups in the macro forum? Maybe we need a new forum. :)

The Macro sub-forum is the proper place for posting close up work. . Here on the forum, when "macro" is used, it is seldom referring to the actual definition of macro photography.

A new forum? . Are you serious?

Are you proposing that there be one sub-forum for true macro work and another sub-forum for close up work? . The goal here on POTN has normally been to try to consolidate things, so that there aren't too many sub-forums. . What you suggest would be working in opposition to the way the forum is trying to organize things.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Terry ­ McDaniel
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 03, 2019 12:19 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

No, I thought the smiley suggested I was kidding. Should have used a wink.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,630 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 03, 2019 12:23 |  #8

Terry McDaniel wrote in post #18871950 (external link)
No, I thought the smiley suggested I was kidding. Should have used a wink.

I'm sorry ... I am pretty much immune to sarcasm or kidding, just don't see it even when it's right there in front of me. . I am too busy being very serious and taking things extremely literally to see things any other way.

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,027 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Post edited 2 months ago by racketman. (3 edits in all)

Jun 03, 2019 14:35 |  #9

There are quite a few clearly non macro images posted but I guess if macro is your main thing its a bit tedious to be posting close up in Wildlife as well.

Something like this definitely isn't macro but this sub forum is the home of bugs

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/1801/29618625628_266c70d9b7_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/M8ic​v7  (external link) P7170004 damsels (external link) by tobyjug5 (external link), on Flickr

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

squashed
Goldmember
4,113 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 03, 2019 14:43 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18871953 (external link)
I'm sorry ... I am pretty much immune to sarcasm or kidding, just don't see it even when it's right there in front of me. . I am too busy being very serious and taking things extremely literally to see things any other way.

This statement deserved a big fat LOL with a winky face;-)a

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
28,098 posts
Gallery: 3186 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 05, 2019 01:53 |  #11

Back in the days we were doing the photo book competitions I used an adhoc definition of 1/3 life size to allow close up photos including all of a dragonfly for example, but we are fairly relaxed.

As noted the technical definition relates to linear magnification on the capture medium from 1x to typically 10x above which it it is photo micrography.

I guess in the days of a 10x8 view camera you could get to life size doing a head only portrait of a person. :)

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links

442 views & 11 likes for this thread
What exactly is macro?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.