Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 12 Jun 2019 (Wednesday) 08:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting My Niece and Nephews

Huck
108 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 12, 2019 08:16 |  #1

My sister-in-law asked me recently to shoot some impromptu photos of her kids at our last family get together and now she would like something more formal. I have never really shot any portrait type photos. I mainly have shot sports and airplanes, so this is a new area for me. Here are the pics from that day.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48049114312_05aa9aa730.jpg

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48049076168_d00ee00757.jpg

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48049077448_76860dd9f5.jpg

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48049038286_cf3d4172f6.jpg

I'd love to hear from those of you that shoot people on a more regular basis so I can learn to improve. I recently bought 2 off camera flashes and reading and watching videos on how to use them to help fill light etc... Just like some overall views and tips to improve on these to include editing and shot set up.

I currently have a 70-200 F2.8 lens and nifty 50 to use. Thanks for looking and for your time.

Thomas aka Huck - Hinton, Oklahoma - Gear List/Feedback
9-1-1 Dispatch Extraordinaire, Photographer, Airplane Enthusiast
Flickr (external link)

kmilo
412 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 12, 2019 08:37 |  #2

I'm only an amateur myself, but these are my thoughts:

The good ... tack sharp, well exposed, beautiful kids ... the technical side is all very well done.

The not as good ... That tree isn't doing you any favors. Background blur is what makes portraits "pop", but the tree is too close to your subjects and is starting to compete for attention. The crop on the first two might be a little too tight. Including a little more space around them might help to give context and anchor the subjects a bit. The last one just needs some better posing ... hugging or arms around each other, or even just the outside kids leaning in towards the center ... and maybe include all knees or none, you sliced thru a knee.

These are great, you're starting off very well.

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

Huck
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 12, 2019 08:49 |  #3

kmilo wrote in post #18876501 (external link)
I'm only an amateur myself, but these are my thoughts:

The good ... tack sharp, well exposed, beautiful kids ... the technical side is all very well done.

The not as good ... That tree isn't doing you any favors. Background blur is what makes portraits "pop", but the tree is too close to your subjects and is starting to compete for attention. The crop on the first two might be a little too tight. Including a little more space around them might help to give context and anchor the subjects a bit. The last one just needs some better posing ... hugging or arms around each other, or even just the outside kids leaning in towards the center ... and maybe include all knees or none, you sliced thru a knee.

These are great, you're starting off very well.

Thanks for the information!

I didn't think about the posing much on the last one but that what I need to know for next time. I went back to all the original files, and no cropping was done, so I cut the knees out when framing the photo (have to remember that for next time for sure).

I see what you mean about the tree. Next time I will make sure to place my subject away from any background.

This is all part of the learning process. I appreciate your input!

Thomas aka Huck - Hinton, Oklahoma - Gear List/Feedback
9-1-1 Dispatch Extraordinaire, Photographer, Airplane Enthusiast
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

750 views & 2 likes for this thread
Shooting My Niece and Nephews
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.