Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 21 Jan 2017 (Saturday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Racetrack Playa, Death Valley N.P.

EnglishBob
555 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 21, 2017 08:52 |  #1

I've always been a book reader, just about anything. When I was around 12 I got a book for Christmas, Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World. It had information on all sorts of things around the world, including a mysterious place in far off Death Valley, a place where rocks moved by themselves. The story fascinated me, and yesterday, on my 4th visit to Death Valley I decided to drive the 54 mile round trip on what is called an unpaved road and is better described as a collection of rocks and holes designed to smash out your fillings. The destination was The Racetrack, the site of the rocks that move by themselves.

The drive took about 2 hours for each of the 27 miles and my poor car, with it's 8" inches of ground clearance took a knock or two grounding itself. Other than 1 other Honda, everything else we saw was a "proper" 4wd with larger tires and higher ground clearance.

We got out to the Playa, where the temperature was just above freezing (hottest place on earth you say....). Shot a few pictures for maybe 20 minutes, climbed back in the car and bounced our way back to civilization, just making it back to paved roads as darkness fell.

I was accompanied on this 5 hour jaunt by my Wife, who never discourages me from doing stupid stuff! We should have started earlier, and done it on a day where we weren't driving over 400 miles home. By the time we were back on paved roads it was dark, and we had just over 400 miles left to get home through twisty mountains (I could have gone the longer but easier way but where's the fun in that!) Eventually got home a little before 1 AM, just enough time for a few hours sleep before we had to be up for work the next day.

This is destination two crossed off my childhood bucket list, the first was Monument Valley.

Canon 5DIII, ISO 100, F/6.3, 1/800's, 56mm

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/395/31080394024_edc1ebc00f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Pmt9​ju  (external link)

Canon 5DIII, ISO 100, F/6.3, 1/1250's, 42mm
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/708/31111240653_2bfacd23ba_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Ppce​WV  (external link)

While we were there we saw the remnants of some vandalism where some idiots drove over an earth berm, and out onto the playa after a rainstorm, their tire tracks marred the lake bed and with the little rain they receive there, will likely take years to be eroded.

The rocks in the middle ground are known as The Grandstand.

Canon 5DIII, 1/200s, F/11, ISO 100, 70mm.
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/733/32239424056_cb5ac95aa3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/R7Tt​yU  (external link)

Gallery (external link) MyGear (external link) About Me (external link)

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,116 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 21, 2017 09:31 |  #2

Nice shots, definitely a cool little place...i ended up doing the drive back at night when i went out there

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

policy
305 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 23, 2017 14:43 |  #3

Nice shots!

Canon Digital Rebel T5i, EF-S 17-85mm IS, EF-S 18-135mm IS STM, EF-S 40mm f2.8, EF 50mm f1.8, Speedlite 430EX + some stuff

dm1215al
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 23, 2017 16:52 |  #4

They look nice, I have never been to DV.

WildImages
299 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 24, 2017 13:20 |  #5

Interesting shots and narrative. Thanks!

dangermoney
128 posts
Joined Mar 2019

Jun 16, 2019 19:38 |  #6

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/aZsxXTX.jpg

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,204 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 16, 2019 20:37 |  #7

Looks like you missed focus by about a foot on the first one.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Terry ­ McDaniel
465 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jun 17, 2019 09:09 |  #8

Such a beautiful place. I've been there a couple of times, both times in the summer. 117 degrees at the Ranger Station at 10:00AM. Very unique place.

sponsored links

2,062 views & 7 likes for this thread
Racetrack Playa, Death Valley N.P.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.