Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Profoto Users! Post and share images

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,890 posts
Gallery: 294 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by airbutchie.

May 15, 2019 12:13 |  #406

Profoto just release an update for the A1; the A1x... Pretty much the same with a little tweak here and there, like having better battery output... 450 full power flashes (A1x) vs 350 full power flashes (A1)... And slightly faster recycling time of 1 second (A1x) vs 1.2 seconds (A1)... Lol... From what I've read and researched online, owners that currently have the A1's can merely buy the A1x battery to achieve the 450 full power flashes... Schweetness!!! Hehehe...

Anyhoo... Just adding info to the Profoto thread.. Direct link to Profoto A1x: https://profoto.com/us​/a1x (external link)

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,575 posts
Gallery: 624 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 16, 2019 12:09 |  #407

Yes, Butch, just like they updated the B1 to the B1X. The battery is the main improvement. They also released a firmware update for the A1 to improve the menus and standardize it with the B10. I think I'll get a couple of the batteries.

flickr (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,890 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by airbutchie.

May 16, 2019 15:25 |  #408

Just acquired a second B10... Lol... Time to sell off another B1... Hahaha... I'm going full Profoto strobing now; 2 x B10's, 2 x A1's, and 1 x B1...

Hi. My name is Butch...

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,575 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 06, 2019 08:06 |  #409

Has anyone got the B10 Plus yet? I'm selling one of my B1s to help fund it. Should have it within 2 weeks.

flickr (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,890 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 2 months ago by airbutchie. (3 edits in all)

Jun 06, 2019 09:43 |  #410

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18873382 (external link)
Has anyone got the B10 Plus yet? I'm selling one of my B1s to help fund it. Should have it within 2 weeks.

I saw the advertisement yesterday morning... tisk tisk... Just sold my second B1 after acquiring another B10... From the YouTube video I saw below, I think I'm ok with keeping both of my B10's and not opt to 'upgrade' to the B10 Plus...

YouTube Video Link: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=kN-M_-HU5fo&t=403s (external link)

I still have one B1 left in my inventory, so if I need that 500w/s power, I have that option to play with.. But like I said, the video above changed my mind on trying to 'upgrade' to the B10 Plus... Let me know how the B10 Plus works for you when you acquire it, Annie!!!

Hi. My name is Butch...

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,890 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 2 months ago by airbutchie.

Jun 06, 2019 09:58 |  #411

I was given the honor of a dear friend of mine to shoot her parent's 50th wedding anniversary... It was in a large banquet hall with about 200 guests... The dance floor was where most of the celebratory program was going to take place, so I knew to setup my strobes around there... Two B10's on C-Stands on the left and right side of the live band, perched about 12 feet high... Both B10's had 7" reflectors with white diffusers on them... An A1 was mounted on my camera to trigger both strobes, while giving some fill light from my camera's hotshoe... Canon 1Dx + 50L... ISO 200, f/2 @ 1/200sec... B10's and A1 were set to TTL... The event was 4 hours long and I shot about 500 frames... Changed the battery once, on my A1, but the B10's had one bar left on them... I couldn't be happier with how everything worked out!!!

50th Celebratory Hula Dance!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Hi. My name is Butch...

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 06, 2019 11:34 |  #412

No product was wasted from the shoot.

HOSTED PHOTO

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,575 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 19, 2019 11:41 |  #413

Well, I'm sticking with my old B1 as it's hardly worth anything and works like a champ. I watched a Profoto YT video and there are advantages to the B1/B1X that the B10 Plus does not have - it's not ALL about the power. Like, being able to use the larger RFi modifiers and also the physical robustness is superior, not to mention the lovely handle.

What I wanted to share (maybe someone else will benefit) is my solution to using two A1s (or A1X) on two cameras and a B10 in a dark church during a fast-paced wedding. I have a Spider Pro belt with two cameras each with an A1 in the hot-shoe - all on manual. The B10 will be at the door end of the aisle and won't be used too much except for the bride and groom walking back down the aisle and wide-angle images of the church. The A1s will be bounced off side walls and ceiling but the one not being used at any one time must have the head OFF. It was doing my head in trying to figure out how to control all the lights using two different controllers (the A1s). It turned out not to be too simple and I don't have much opportunity to 'learn' it and be proficient without thinking. Then I had the idea that all I need to do is hang an Air Remote round my neck and just use it as a single controller. This is so simple I don't know why I've been stressing for two days about it. I'll let you know how it goes after the wedding on Friday!

flickr (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,890 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 1 month ago by airbutchie.

Jun 21, 2019 10:52 |  #414

Lifestyle Living...

Photoshoot with model Jaydah for her portfolio... 1Dx + 100L IS Macro... Profoto B10 + 7" Reflector (socked) + Air Remote TTL (trigger)... ISO 400, f/2.8 @ 1/2000sec... And yes, here eyes are that blue!!!

HOSTED PHOTO

Hi. My name is Butch...

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,890 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 28, 2019 11:54 |  #415

Profoto B10 (socked) for fill light, high-right of model Jaydah...

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from airbutchie's gallery.

Hi. My name is Butch...

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,575 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 01, 2019 10:26 |  #416

B10 camera left, 2ft OCF Octa with grid.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48170611522_9c6fba6eca_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2goE​YyS  (external link) Hairmoss Basket (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

rejay14
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 05, 2019 21:09 |  #417

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18880390 (external link)
Well, I'm sticking with my old B1 as it's hardly worth anything and works like a champ. I watched a Profoto YT video and there are advantages to the B1/B1X that the B10 Plus does not have - it's not ALL about the power. Like, being able to use the larger RFi modifiers and also the physical robustness is superior, not to mention the lovely handle.

What I wanted to share (maybe someone else will benefit) is my solution to using two A1s (or A1X) on two cameras and a B10 in a dark church during a fast-paced wedding. I have a Spider Pro belt with two cameras each with an A1 in the hot-shoe - all on manual. The B10 will be at the door end of the aisle and won't be used too much except for the bride and groom walking back down the aisle and wide-angle images of the church. The A1s will be bounced off side walls and ceiling but the one not being used at any one time must have the head OFF. It was doing my head in trying to figure out how to control all the lights using two different controllers (the A1s). It turned out not to be too simple and I don't have much opportunity to 'learn' it and be proficient without thinking. Then I had the idea that all I need to do is hang an Air Remote round my neck and just use it as a single controller. This is so simple I don't know why I've been stressing for two days about it. I'll let you know how it goes after the wedding on Friday!

I have a similar problem. I have 4x B1's and 5x Ex600's. trying not to be intrusive is a hard calculation. I've decided to use B1's at the formals after the ceremony, no flash during the ceremony and the 600's during the reception. I have to arrive a bit before the ceremony to set up lights.

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http:// …www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,575 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 15, 2019 16:35 |  #418

Profoto A1 in the tent!

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48289277521_f90885f0ea_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gza​aQn  (external link) Wild Camping (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,890 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 1 month ago by airbutchie.

Jul 18, 2019 00:05 |  #419

Princess Taya!!!

Australian model Taya Brooks joined us for this outdoor editorial for Stello Couture and Clutch Crown Accessories!!! Canon 1Dx + 100L IS Macro... ISO 200, f/5.6 @ 1/320sec... Profoto B10 + Profoto 24" Deep Octa + Air Remote TTL (trigger)... Strobe was above, left of Taya...

:-D

HOSTED PHOTO

Hi. My name is Butch...

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,575 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 23, 2019 13:49 |  #420

An A1 behind the couple, B10 camera left lighting the trees and B1X behind me and slightly to camera right with large silver umbrella and diffuser. It was 12:30 am and pitch black. I couldn't use the 5D4 as I couldn't see the focussing point. The 1DX came to the rescue!

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

162,821 views & 339 likes for this thread
Profoto Users! Post and share images
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.