Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jun 2019 (Monday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you going to sell your EF lenses when Canon moves decisively to mirrorless?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 22, 2019 08:30 |  #121

My 24-70 version 2 lens was much slower to hit focus on the A7iii then It was on the 1Dx2....Way slower. I could not get it into a dark environment to test it in the dark

But based on the testing i did ... I felt it would not work well

With the 1Dx2 it was Snap/Boom focus locked

With the A7iii it was Snaaaaaap/Boooooom

It was notable difference to me so I am surprised that Suzie got better results as I used the same adapter

Suzie would you mind doing a comparison as to speed of the A7iii v/s the 5D4 with that 24-70. I think you will find that if you really pay attention to the speed of focus lock, then the 5D4 will be much faster. That was my finding. Sure, focus would lock in light like you and Teamspeed have shown with the flower shots....but it was notably slower to me

I could definitely use it outside when in plenty of light and static type shots. Eas not so sure on a moving subject. It was not as fast But it could be used. i was afraid it would really lag in poor light and darker environments and I was really afraid it would miss a moving bride on a processional

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,177 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 22, 2019 13:42 |  #122

The M50 + Viltrox Booster + 24-70II seems to lock focus (one shot mode) pretty quickly in low light. As I got deeper into the basement and things had less contrast, the combo thought for a bit then focused.

I focused on the Sigma lettering and the exposure is close to what I see with my eyes, this basement just has a few windows at the end, and this is probably about near the low end for a reception hall. Any darker, and you may have injuries with people tripping over things, etc. It locked on pretty quickly, it had a tiny lag vs when I focused on more contrasty or lit subjects.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,177 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Jun 22, 2019 13:53 |  #123

Here are a couple of other shots while I had the M50 out with the 24-70 and Viltrox booster. Nice combo, I like it. I loved the SL2, but this beats it out for general usability. Shot here at 50mm f2.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 22, 2019 15:16 |  #124

It's your fault I just hunted for 2 days for my M50 and M100 with all the gear. I'm going to try the M50 with the adapter and some L glass to see what to keep. I'm giving my 19 year old who does video the M100 with 15-45 to take with him to college. I may have to do a review of the M100, Sony a7iii and my trusty 5DIV with the same L primes and zooms to compare. I guess it was a good thing I bought one of those wagon things to carry the 15 pounds of gear I'll have to take with me. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

jough
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2019 18:14 |  #125

JeffreyG wrote in post #18881107 (external link)
I can tell you that the adapter becomes a hassle if you are the kind of person changing lenses fairly often.

Adapters are always a hassle. Using adapters is a game that gets old very quickly, IMO.

jough
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2019 18:17 |  #126

ed rader wrote in post #18881129 (external link)
you can get canon adapters for like 70 bucks if you shop around.

It's funny how the ridiculously high prices of camera gear recalibrates one's perception of value.

You know, to me, 70 bucks is not insignificant. It's, well, 70 bucks!

jough
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 22, 2019 18:18 |  #127

MatthewK wrote in post #18881266 (external link)
Don't dump the 135L :) It's one of those lenses that won't be the same after it gets RF-ified (optically or price-wise), and while it's definitely my least used lens, whenever it comes time to use it I'm really happy to have it. I'm very cutthroat about trimming excess/non-used gear, but the 135L has remained on the island.

It's still early in the game, the R mount is barely a year old. Lenses always have the early adopter tax tacked on for a few months/to a year after release, so let's see what happens come Black Friday and the holiday season. Look at it from another angle: the bread and butter point-and-shoot market is gone, the brands aren't raking in the easy money there anymore, it sucks for us, but they have to bring it in elsewhere. Sony and Nikon lenses are equal or far more expensive too, so no one is making it easy on the wallet for FF.

Fuji is awesome, I recommend testing the waters. Having owned the x100F for coming up on a year now, I've also recently borrowed a friend's xt-20 and a few lenses. Very high quality build, the lenses are really nice and crisp (18-55, 14 f/2.8, 27 f/2.8) but really small/light, and the best part is that they're all very affordable when you compare to the big FF systems. The Fujis are the only cameras that go out with me anymore b/c of the size, but when it comes time to shoot portraits my Canon primes are unmatched. Fuji does have some awesome portrait lenses to check out (56mm f/1.2) too, but I haven't commited that deeply yet.

Each brand has something to offer, and it might be a good time to diversify. With the goal of keeping costs low, grab a clean, used last generation body + an affordable lens or two, and see how you like it. Not only will you get to see what all the hype is about, you'll also come to appreciate what you have in your Canon system.

Words of wisdom. Thank you.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,145 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 22, 2019 18:26 |  #128

anytime a new product is released there is a wailing and a wringing of hands about cost. I know change is scary but we're gonna be okay :-)

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

ra40
936 posts
Gallery: 382 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 23, 2019 00:56 |  #129

I feel this is wise to wait and see. RF glass is going to take a bit to be released so using EF is the main option for many. I hope that this doesn't turn out to be a repeat as we see with the M platform but those bodies were not the primary target market for the high line FF SLR users. (I pondered why intentionally cripple a system but that is how Canon may have viewed this platform to experiment in that segment. In some respects the EF-S for the APS-C line-up too.)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,145 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 27, 2019 10:55 |  #130

so I talked to my repair guy about repairing older lenses that canon no longer supports like the 500L f4 IS. he said he gets his parts from Canon. with two more versions of this discontinued lens already released you know what that means. of course there's always ebay and other internet sources for parts.

my feeling is for $2500-$3000 it's worth buying this lens which would probably never need repair unless you damage it.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Canonuser123
724 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jun 27, 2019 12:17 |  #131

ed rader wrote in post #18884583 (external link)
so I talked to my repair guy about repairing older lenses that canon no longer supports like the 500L f4 IS. he said he gets his parts from Canon. with two more versions of this discontinued lens already released you know what that means. of course there's always ebay and other internet sources for parts.

my feeling is for $2500-$3000 it's worth buying this lens which would probably never need repair unless you damage it.

My feeling is that it is too big of a risk and it makes me lean towards other options, Nikon has their new 500 f5.6 PF lens for $3600 brand new, sure you lose a stop but knowing it will be supported is nice. The Nikon lens is also small and light.

I have been considering getting one of the big Canon lenses this year but the uncertainty of the direction Canon is headed is giving me pause, that and the fact I expect any new R mount big lenses will be insanely expensive.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,940 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 27, 2019 12:27 |  #132

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18884622 (external link)
My feeling is that it is too big of a risk and it makes me lean towards other options, Nikon has their new 500 f5.6 PF lens for $3600 brand new, sure you lose a stop but knowing it will be supported is nice. The Nikon lens is also small and light.

I have been considering getting one of the big Canon lenses this year but the uncertainty of the direction Canon is headed is giving me pause, that and the fact I expect any new R mount big lenses will be insanely expensive.

My thoughts as well. I am going to get the 150-600 sport from Sigma this fall. With clean sensors on the 1Dx2 and 5D4 it just makes sense. Bump the ISO to 1600 and you cant see any noise.... Hard to beat 600MM and with a 1.4 which the sigma handles very well, that puts you at 840mm on a FF. Not much I cant do in post anymore to soften backgrounds

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,207 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 27, 2019 13:03 |  #133

ed rader wrote in post #18884583 (external link)

i played with a 500f4IS mkI the other day...it was nice to use...he told me he'd sell it to me for $2,500...i'm not sure what to do...not really all that concerned with breaking/repair issues...but at the same time not sure if it's really worth it to me. going to see if he still has it in a couple weeks

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 27, 2019 13:32 |  #134

umphotography wrote in post #18884630 (external link)
My thoughts as well. I am going to get the 150-600 sport from Sigma this fall. With clean sensors on the 1Dx2 and 5D4 it just makes sense. Bump the ISO to 1600 and you cant see any noise.... Hard to beat 600MM and with a 1.4 which the sigma handles very well, that puts you at 840mm on a FF. Not much I cant do in post anymore to soften backgrounds

I have the Contemporary 150-600, and it is amazing. I've used it with a 1.4X II and 2X II, on a R and no complaints
never thought to use a TC on the 5D4

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,177 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jun 27, 2019 13:32 |  #135

umphotography wrote in post #18884630 (external link)

You might want to consider the contemporary, there is no optical differences. Just depends if you want the heavier construction of the sport or not really...

Here is the 2x on the Sigma on the 5D4, manually focused though:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Scenic-Moments/i-HkcSBsS/0/af8c0cd3/X2/FX8A4357-X2.jpg

sponsored links

11,882 views & 194 likes for this thread
Are you going to sell your EF lenses when Canon moves decisively to mirrorless?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.