Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 22 Jun 2019 (Saturday) 05:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Forgive me , I'm English .

this thread is locked
cctvfitter
40 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 22, 2019 05:16 |  #1

Ok , going to be controversial here, forgive me I am English and I just don't get this!
Why is there a common theme in Glamour with Girls and Guns?
I like to see my Women holding something cute or sexy , not an assault rifle, there's nothing glamorous about an AK47 , or whatever they are called.
There are some absolutely cracking images on here, and whilst I get the Stars and Stripes bit , do the guns add to the model's image?
If my wife walked in to the bedroom with an assault rifle , I would most probably poo my pants.

sponsored links
Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,883 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 22, 2019 05:22 |  #2

This topic has the possibility of getting too political but the answer is really pretty simple. Men like both. :lol:

It is no different than a pretty woman leaning against a sports car. Just an image combining two things a typical man would like.

Philip

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,494 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 22, 2019 05:24 |  #3

The girls with guns theme never worked for me. But some guys dig it.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 22, 2019 05:33 |  #4

Subgenere that started with pin up girls for overseas G.I.s during WWII. It developed though perpetual war that the US govt "found" itself in over the last 80 years.

A lot of phallic connotations, obviously.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,059 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 22, 2019 09:41 |  #5

cctvfitter wrote in post #18881801 (external link)
Ok , going to be controversial here, forgive me I am English and I just don't get this!

Guns loom larger in American culture than in English culture, but not uniformly throughout the U.S. Where I live, guns in the hands of civilians are associated with gang activity and armed robbery; Philip's (Nogo's) area is different.

Some men are gun hobbyists. They collect arms, perhaps restore antique ones, go target shooting. They don't make up most of the male population, but it's easy to see why they'd appreciate the images you're talking about.

There may also be an influence from James Bond and other adventure novels and films.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,694 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 22, 2019 10:29 |  #6

Personally I find it abhorrent that people want to glorify and sexualise these weapons which are designed to annihilate living things. What is most shocking is the fact that most, if not all, of these images are posted by members that live in a country that suffers the horrors of a mass shooting on an almost weekly basis. It beggars belief that people think it is acceptable. But I suppose it comes down to different cultures.

Now where’s my flat cap and whippets.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,511 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 22, 2019 11:00 |  #7

Nogo wrote in post #18881803 (external link)
This topic has the possibility of getting too political......

Almost all threads related to this topic get locked.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,387 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 22, 2019 21:48 |  #8

America...nuff said.

:-x

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,222 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 23, 2019 03:56 |  #9

Men are strange creatures when it comes to nudity (me included).
But, I am mainly subscribing to see how fast this thread deteriorates into pro-/anti-gun discussion....;-)a

Donate if you love POTN

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 23, 2019 08:13 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18881806 (external link)
Subgenere that started with pin up girls for overseas G.I.s during WWII. It developed though perpetual war that the US govt "found" itself in over the last 80 years.

A lot of phallic connotations, obviously.

And we do it because we can! ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Ballen ­ Photo
20,279 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Jun 23, 2019 09:02 |  #11

cctvfitter wrote in post #18881801 (external link)
I like to see my Women holding something cute or sexy , not an assault rifle, there's nothing glamorous about an AK47 , or whatever they are called.
There are some absolutely cracking images on here, and whilst I get the Stars and Stripes bit , do the guns add to the model's image?
If my wife walked in to the bedroom with an assault rifle , I would most probably poo my pants.

Had a British girlfriend that used to love to come over and throw darts, but was deathly afraid of guns. After knowing me awhile, I told her that shooting at targets was exactly the same concept as throwing darts at them. I took her to the range several times to demonstrate.
She eventually bought herself a revolver to be able to join in the fun.
It's a culture thing I guess? You folks are taught to fear them, we are taught how to use them.

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,059 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 23, 2019 09:32 |  #12

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18882378 (external link)
Had a British girlfriend that used to love to come over and throw darts, but was deathly afraid of guns. After knowing me awhile, I told her that shooting at targets was exactly the same concept as throwing darts at them.

The same concept, sure, in a loose sense. Nevertheless, one never reads about fatalities due to semiautomatic darts.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,694 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 23, 2019 09:47 |  #13

...we are taught how to use them.

That probably accounts for the high death rate from gunshot wounds then.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

Ballen ­ Photo
20,279 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2003

Jun 23, 2019 11:03 |  #14

OhLook wrote in post #18882394 (external link)
The same concept, sure, in a loose sense. Nevertheless, one never reads about fatalities due to semiautomatic darts.

We threw steel darts. If used in the wrong way, they could be fatal. An improperly trained driver can be worse than fatal. I've heard of them wiping out whole families. You just have to learn to do anything in a safe manner.

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,451 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 23, 2019 14:55 |  #15

It's a culture thing I guess? You folks are taught to fear them, we are taught how to use them.

We don't fear guns per se. But we do fear how they can be used and with good reason, as the non-stop stream of mass shootings in the USA proves.

Ballen Photo wrote in post #18882443 (external link)
We threw steel darts. If used in the wrong way, they could be fatal. An improperly trained driver can be worse than fatal. I've heard of them wiping out whole families. You just have to learn to do anything in a safe manner.

That's flawed logic. Darts and cars, a hammer, a teapot, yes, anything can be used to kill other people. There will always be crazy people and tragic accidents happen too sometimes. Difference is that none of those items were designed to kill. Guns are. It's their very raison d'être. That's why they're so good at it. I mean, I never heard of a mass murder with darts or with a hammer.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,561 views & 33 likes for this thread
Forgive me , I'm English .
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.