Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

rebop
528 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 29, 2019 11:57 as a reply to  @ post 18885692 |  #4816

I have been posting that LR 6 does not read hence I need to find an acceptable solution. I do not wish to subscribe to later versions of Lightroom.

I'm Bob and I'm an L-coholic
1DX - 6D - G5 X
16-35
L - 24-105 L - 24-70 II L
70-200 2.8 L - 70-300 L - 100 2.8 L Macro

sponsored links
wxjef
68 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 3 months ago by wxjef.

Jun 29, 2019 13:36 |  #4817

The whole new .cr3 format is probably one of the biggest reasons I'm kinda kicking myself for buying into this camera, pretty much locks you into proprietary software, you almost have to use either Windows or Mac is and either DPP (which is not too bad) or Adobe *cringe*

I think there are a few workarounds on Linux but still back to Adobe (their dng converter) and DPP and using wine that may or may not work.

I knew about the new raw format but really didn't think I'd have to wait too long to get support for it with Linux.

Now don't get me wrong, aside from the issue I had where I needed send the camera back to Canon, the images are very nice, camera is pretty intuitive and a major update to the 5dmkii I have.

I just didn't research properly and wanted the newest and latest and greatest.

crofter
323 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 29, 2019 13:45 |  #4818

Just a Bee.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48153732682_f70d96ea1b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gnb​t5o  (external link) Honey Bee (external link) by Rob Nelson (external link), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

rebop
528 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 29, 2019 19:48 as a reply to  @ wxjef's post |  #4819

Why did you have to return your R?

I'm Bob and I'm an L-coholic
1DX - 6D - G5 X
16-35
L - 24-105 L - 24-70 II L
70-200 2.8 L - 70-300 L - 100 2.8 L Macro

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,265 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by LoneRider.

Jun 29, 2019 20:45 |  #4820

wxjef wrote in post #18885781 (external link)
The whole new .cr3 format is probably one of the biggest reasons I'm kinda kicking myself for buying into this camera, pretty much locks you into proprietary software, you almost have to use either Windows or Mac is and either DPP (which is not too bad) or Adobe *cringe*

I think there are a few workarounds on Linux but still back to Adobe (their dng converter) and DPP and using wine that may or may not work.

I knew about the new raw format but really didn't think I'd have to wait too long to get support for it with Linux.

Now don't get me wrong, aside from the issue I had where I needed send the camera back to Canon, the images are very nice, camera is pretty intuitive and a major update to the 5dmkii I have.

I just didn't research properly and wanted the newest and latest and greatest.

I guess I just don't get how you can really fault Canon for "locking" you into proprietary software when it works with Mac and Windows (which combined probably account for about 95%+ of OS in use by the general public). If you are dedicated to using Linux outside of a server atmosphere you have to pretty much expect that you will wait a considerable amount of time before new release things get supported.

As for Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop, not sure why the "cringe", seems to work pretty good and has pretty much become the de-facto standard for professionals as well as the standard all the others are measured against.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,265 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 29, 2019 20:46 |  #4821

A few from my recent Hawaii trip

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, EOS 80D, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

wxjef
68 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2019

Jun 29, 2019 21:21 |  #4822

LoneRider wrote in post #18885935 (external link)
I guess I just don't get how you can really fault Canon for "locking" you into proprietary software when it works with Mac and Windows (which combined probably account for about 95%+ of OS in use by the general public). If you are dedicated to using Linux outside of a server atmosphere you have to pretty much expect that you will wait a considerable amount of time before new release things get supported.

As for Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop, not sure why the "cringe", seems to work pretty good and has pretty much become the de-facto standard for professionals as well as the standard all the others are measured against.

Not really faulting Canon for locking me into proprietary software, more on myself for not fully researching and understanding both the new raw format and trying to get into Linux at the same time, the R is the first really new camera I've gotten (besides the 80d) since the 5dmkii so I've been out of the loop for a while.

As to my Adobe cringe, yeah, once again, I'm out of the loop. It's not that the software bothers me, it's the intrusiveness of it (a lot of software, operating system, cell phones TV's etc are becoming this way) I guess I'm a bit old school and not liking this software as a service or subscription model. Almost to the point when you buy a camera, it's just like getting a cellphone or something, need a 2 year agreement to use it, otherwise it's pretty limited.

But I digress, these are my reasons, not Adobe or Canon or Microsoft or what not. :)

I just think all these dang accounts and so on detract and just another headache and yet something else to need to keep track of and something else to mine your data and could potentially be breached. This always connected always on trend we are heading towards is, to me irksome.

All this is one reason I tried to go open source but, that was another can of worms there.

I don't really take a whole lot of photos or use my PC enough for me to justify a subscription in my opinion.

On the bright side, there is always DPP, which works pretty good. Windows 10 is usable also :)

I used to play for hours with Photoshop, had cs3. I remember the first time I actually bought the first boxed version for myself years ago, then I switched to Lightroom. I haven't used the newer versions of Photoshop since it went subscription.

Sigh, maybe I should just get with the times :oops:

@rebop details are a couple pages up but long story short it started throwing an error 20 at me and I couldn't use the camera

Jared5
228 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Jun 30, 2019 12:28 |  #4823

umphotography wrote in post #18885672 (external link)
If I had an EOS R then I would consider the passport. Its bulletproof. You could put it in your bag and pull the Card at various times of the day when you have downtime and just transfer the files. Im sure you can set it up not to duplicate files numbers

the downside is if you loose the passport. Then your partially screwed as the SD still has the images. So you would need to guard that passport like you were guarding a life :-P

Of course, for wedding photographers, the problem is resolved as soon as Canon releases a Dual card camera....Its why I dont have the R right now. I considered this passport, But with the price of it, plus a grip, you now have an EOS R that is priced higher than the 5D4. I like the EOS R even with some of the limitations it has. Still think my 1Dx2 AND 5D4 combos are far better choices for what we do as wedding photographers.

I am going to miss this camera release and hold out for a dual card. I can wait.This next release is rumored to be 75Mb.....not sure who needs 75MB and wth canon is thinking. A soon as Canon gets an A7iii or an A9 answer in their line up, then I will jump into the R line up. Not happy about the price of the R glass but I think it will come down in price

Passport. click here
https://www.wd.com …assport-wireless-ssd.html (external link)!

-

Thanks to Craigslist I picked up the 1TB WD My Passport Wireless SSD for $350 and brought it to the wedding I shot yesterday. I got the drive in the morning and had some time to figure it out before transferring files during the wedding.

I also picked up another EOS R battery grip from Craigslist yesterday because I ordered a second EOS R which will arrive tomorrow (along with the control-ring lens adapter); I got a brand new EOS R battery grip for $250.

Next weekend I'll be shooting a wedding with two EOS R bodies (instead of my usual two 5D Mk4 bodies) both with battery grips and the control-ring lens adapters and I can't wait!

Yes, I would totally prefer to have dual card slots and there are rumors of Canon releasing a body like that in the near future. But the benefits of the EOS R outweigh the drawbacks, at least enough to where it's worth it for me to start using this system right now instead of waiting any longer for the dual card slot body. I'm one who originally thought I'd never get the EOS R because I depend on dual card slots, but a little over a month after I bought the first one to try it out I'm getting a second one and not using my 5D Mk4 bodies as much lately.

When Canon does release the 'pro body' with dual card slots I will probably sell the EOS R bodies and upgrade to that, but meanwhile I'm getting great results with the EOS R and my only regret is that I didn't transition to mirrorless sooner.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 30, 2019 14:36 |  #4824

umphotography wrote in post #18885672 (external link)
If I had an EOS R then I would consider the passport. Its bulletproof. You could put it in your bag and pull the Card at various times of the day when you have downtime and just transfer the files. Im sure you can set it up not to duplicate files numbers

the downside is if you loose the passport. Then your partially screwed as the SD still has the images. So you would need to guard that passport like you were guarding a life :-P

It could be similar to protecting the extra SD and CF card holders during a day. I keep those in my camera bag.

I've met a few photographers lately who upgraded from a 5D mk ii too a 5D mk iii, or a 5D mk iii to a 5D mk iv. And when I asked if they considered the new EOS R, also telling them about the single slot, they said they only keep one card in their cameras anyway. So it's been a bit of a surprise to learn that about 1/2 the photographers I met or talked with the past month or two don't use both cards even when they have the option.

I don't bite my nails over a single card slot since I'm shooting with another camera that has two slots, but I would always go with both cards if two slots are available.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
7,815 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 30, 2019 14:46 |  #4825

mdvaden wrote in post #18886305 (external link)
I would always go with both cards if two slots are available.

If you are shooting sports or wildlife with the 5d3 there is a very good reason not to use both cards. The SD card is way slower than the CF card. If there is a good likelyhood of filling the buffer, it is best to use the CF card only.

Philip

Gianpaolo
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2019

Jun 30, 2019 16:58 |  #4826

wxjef wrote in post #18885942 (external link)
Not really faulting Canon for locking me into proprietary software, more on myself for not fully researching and understanding both the new raw format and trying to get into Linux at the same time, the R is the first really new camera I've gotten (besides the 80d) since the 5dmkii so I've been out of the loop for a while.

As to my Adobe cringe, yeah, once again, I'm out of the loop. It's not that the software bothers me, it's the intrusiveness of it (a lot of software, operating system, cell phones TV's etc are becoming this way) I guess I'm a bit old school and not liking this software as a service or subscription model. Almost to the point when you buy a camera, it's just like getting a cellphone or something, need a 2 year agreement to use it, otherwise it's pretty limited.

But I digress, these are my reasons, not Adobe or Canon or Microsoft or what not. :)

I just think all these dang accounts and so on detract and just another headache and yet something else to need to keep track of and something else to mine your data and could potentially be breached. This always connected always on trend we are heading towards is, to me irksome.

All this is one reason I tried to go open source but, that was another can of worms there.

I don't really take a whole lot of photos or use my PC enough for me to justify a subscription in my opinion.

On the bright side, there is always DPP, which works pretty good. Windows 10 is usable also :)

I used to play for hours with Photoshop, had cs3. I remember the first time I actually bought the first boxed version for myself years ago, then I switched to Lightroom. I haven't used the newer versions of Photoshop since it went subscription.

Sigh, maybe I should just get with the times :oops:

@rebop details are a couple pages up but long story short it started throwing an error 20 at me and I couldn't use the camera

I own the R and I use linux as my only os since very long time. The two works pretty well together. I run the Adobe dng converter using wine, then process my dng-converted raws with RawTherapee. Using the Canon profiles provided by the dng converter I get colors that are the same I get from sooc jpg (I always take both raws and jpg so I can compare the two) with the advantages of raw for processing.

If required I could provide you with my RawTherapee pp3 processing profiles. Actually, I have several profiles I automatically apply using the "dynamic processing profiles" functionality of Rawtherapee, depending on the shooting conditions, like iso or lens. See http://rawpedia.rawthe​rapee.com/Dynamic_proc​essing_profiles (external link)

Jared5
228 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Jun 30, 2019 17:01 |  #4827

Nogo wrote in post #18886312 (external link)
If you are shooting sports or wildlife with the 5d3 there is a very good reason not to use both cards. The SD card is way slower than the CF card. If there is a good likelyhood of filling the buffer, it is best to use the CF card only.

-

Exactly right. When I upgraded from the 5D Mk2 to the 5D Mk3 I wondered why the buffer would fill up, it seemed strange that a newer camera would be less capable.

The problem is SD cards. For CF cards the technology is in the card, you can make a very high capacity and fast CF card and any device will be able to read it. With SD cards the technology is in the reader, which is why so many people had to throw out their old SD card readers when HIGH CAPACITY SD cards came out, because the reader didn't have the tech to recognize the new SD card.

Canon put a cheap SD card reader in the 5D Mk3 and because of that it becomes the bottle-neck of the whole system. When I needed to shoot fast with the 5D Mk3 I'd pull out the SD card, then put it back in again later when things slowed down. The SD card reader in the 5D Mk3 isn't even UHS-I, the finally put a UHS-I card reader in the 5D Mk4 which was an insult because they should have put in a UHS-II reader which was available at the time. The EOS R has a UHS-II reader and can get full benefit of those cards.

Even Sony has done similar things by going cheap on their SD card readers, so I guess it's not just a Canon thing.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,562 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 01, 2019 12:11 |  #4828

Well, I finally sold off my EF 85 1.2L II and will be awaiting a new RF 85 1.2L.

Meanwhile, figured I’d share a final (for now) image from the archives, in commemoration.

HOSTED PHOTO

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

WilsonFlyer
690 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 01, 2019 12:53 |  #4829

This is probably a loaded question and maybe even worthy of its own thread somewhere else, but I have really started to wonder about this lately.

Why aren't these newer cameras including built-in ND filters now? We're seeing it on micro 4/3 and 1" sensors now as pretty commonplace, but we haven't seen it (that I recall) on any APS-C or FF offerings.

Are manufacturers simply missing the boat on this? Is it too expensive to implement in these sizes? Do they not give a crap? Is there a conspiracy with filter makers? What gives?

I don't need to buy 100 filters to fit every situation with every camera I own, yet that's what it would take to cover every situation with every camera I own. It seems ridiculous that this is not a feature available on every camera made today. Surely it's (mostly?) software driven anyway, isn't it?

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,562 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 01, 2019 12:58 |  #4830

^^ Good question, but, I know not the answer.

On my EF 85L, I used a 3-stop ND filter on it, primarily, as it hardly ever came off the lens. I used to have a bunch of hi-tech filters (Soft Edge, Hard Edge) etc., but gave up on them since HDR is so easy to do anyway (except bulb mode which I hardly used).

I guess that's why Canon came up with the adapter with the filter drop in, but, I can't imagine those will be cheap, in the long run. :(

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

sponsored links

777,247 views & 12,996 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.