Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 02, 2019 15:42 as a reply to  @ post 18887370 |  #4846

Thanks !

sponsored links
lijoec
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2019 15:57 |  #4847

Nickc84 wrote in post #18887357 (external link)
A few shots I took today of my one week old daughter Arwen.:love:

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 985979 has been deleted. ]

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 985980 has been deleted. ]

Very nice and congrats!

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

lijoec
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2019 15:59 |  #4848

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48155345452_9705a2666f_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gnj​JuL  (external link) CD0A0259 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

lijoec
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2019 16:03 |  #4849

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48116071127_655916c974_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2giR​rBe  (external link) CD0A0112 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 02, 2019 16:24 |  #4850

If anyone else is a new kid on the block so to speak regarding the EOS R and trying to get the hang of things, I've been flipping through this tutorial. An hour and 49 minutes, and he has it indexed by time stamp below the video, and the time is linked to that point in the video. Pretty useful to see what's available and how to do things.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=1rWrAAqjmS4&​t=3476s (external link)

Flickr (external link)

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 02, 2019 17:33 |  #4851

MY Wish List:

I want all three of the RF EOS Canon Lens for this camera RF 24-105 for 800.00
RF 50mm for 2,200.00
RF 28-70 for 3,000.00
Grand Total of 6,000.00

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Jul 02, 2019 20:04 |  #4852

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18887424 (external link)
MY Wish List:

I want all three of the RF EOS Canon Lens for this camera

You probably mean you want "three of the RF" lenses, rather than "all three" because there are more than 3 RF lenses available. Apparently 6 RF lenses if we count both RF 85mm 1.2 versions. Now realizing how good the RF 50mm works, if I could sell, swap and change without loss of money, I would consider the RF 28-70mm to replace my EF 24-70mm, 85mm 1.2 and RF 50mm 1.2

Even with primes, I rarely shoot 1.2 to 1.8 anymore to get more of the person's face and hair in focus, or the person beside them. Another option would be the replacement I just wrote above, but replacing the EF 24-70mm, 35mm 1.8 and RF 50mm 1.2 ----- but keeping one of my 85mm lenses for bokeh extremes.

The photo below was from scouting a location at a ranch venue for the after-ceremony formal and family photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

wxjef
68 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2019

Jul 02, 2019 20:23 |  #4853

Just thought I'd give a quicky update for those who are interested...

"Service type: repair"

Not sure what the actual repair was, kind of interested in what they did, but looks like it was done under warranty, which is good.

Also

"The service on your product has been completed and shipped"

I figured I probably wouldn't see my camera until mid next week, but unless shipping gets borked, should have it back Friday!

I expected slightly slower due to holidays. Now I'm worried if the camera behaved for the techs and they didn't see anything wrong. I know, I'm being paranoid lol.

Fingers crossed it working better than it did before I had to ship it off.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 02, 2019 22:12 |  #4854

From my inaugural trip out, just to get a feel for it. I like the detail in the shots, seems to be overexposing by a smidgen.

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

CallumRD1
427 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jul 03, 2019 10:08 |  #4855

Here's another from Scotland

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

TheGForce
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2019

Jul 03, 2019 13:33 |  #4856

patrick j wrote in post #18887252 (external link)
I took the plunge, unboxed it today, had my first what the hell moment - the USB cable has the same tiny connector on both ends, instead of the larger one on one end for the USB port on the computer. Is that normal? Am I missing something? (literally or figuratively)

Yeah, this is in my top 5 pain points with the camera. I know it's trivial, but out of the box Canon do not provide a standard USB cable to connect the R to a standard computer. I've a long email dialog with Canon support, who basically have said tough we're going with USB-C only, which they think is the future. Canon say "use WiFi" if you don't want to use cable. So the USB cable supplied has basically gone in the bin now, and I've bought a PC with a SD card reader instead.

After spending a huge amount on the camera I'd at least expect a standard cable or an adapter supplied. Not a niche cable.

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by Nickc84.

Jul 03, 2019 16:43 as a reply to  @ TheGForce's post |  #4857

I was really pissed at first but now I love transfering the RAWs wifi but I do have to charge the battery like all the time now.:rolleyes:

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 03, 2019 18:32 |  #4858

TheGForce wrote in post #18887779 (external link)
Yeah, this is in my top 5 pain points with the camera. I know it's trivial, but out of the box Canon do not provide a standard USB cable to connect the R to a standard computer. I've a long email dialog with Canon support, who basically have said tough we're going with USB-C only, which they think is the future. Canon say "use WiFi" if you don't want to use cable. So the USB cable supplied has basically gone in the bin now, and I've bought a PC with a SD card reader instead.

After spending a huge amount on the camera I'd at least expect a standard cable or an adapter supplied. Not a niche cable.

What kind of speeds are people getting using the R as a card reader on good USB ports?

The 7D2 is a joke in that department. The same SD card that can be read at 93MB/s in a card reader is read at about 7MB/s through the 7D2's "USB3" port.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Jul 03, 2019 19:20 |  #4859

TheGForce wrote in post #18887779 (external link)

I'm good with Canon's choice.

The part you (and few) would want, would merely be one more thing that goes into my trash can. This sort of reminds me that every camera I bought didn't have an SD or CF card included, but that seemed okay.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,354 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Jul 04, 2019 21:39 |  #4860

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18886783 (external link)
This is probably a loaded question and maybe even worthy of its own thread somewhere else, but I have really started to wonder about this lately.

Why aren't these newer cameras including built-in ND filters now? We're seeing it on micro 4/3 and 1" sensors now as pretty commonplace, but we haven't seen it (that I recall) on any APS-C or FF offerings.

Are manufacturers simply missing the boat on this? Is it too expensive to implement in these sizes? Do they not give a crap? Is there a conspiracy with filter makers? What gives?

I don't need to buy 100 filters to fit every situation with every camera I own, yet that's what it would take to cover every situation with every camera I own. It seems ridiculous that this is not a feature available on every camera made today. Surely it's (mostly?) software driven anyway, isn't it?

A shutter takes up room. How much more space and complication an internal ND filter that would need the options of in-place and out-of-place. Add to that a needless ND filter cleaner ? It seems enough to deal with sensor cleaning, let alone another surface that would also affect image quality by being between the lens and filter.

sponsored links

777,241 views & 12,996 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.