Hey everyone! I decided to join the club and purchased this lens back in early June and am seeking some advice/recommendations. The first copy I received and tested out at a local airshow and, long story short, there appeared to be an issue with the autofocus and exchanged it. I didn't download the latest firmware to that first copy because of the issues noted related to Canon users...which would include me as I am using this lens on a 7D Mark II. I just received the replacement copy and wanted to seek out some advice/recommendations. FYI...my primary use for this lens will be airshows.
1. I have read in here that issues with the firmware have caused Dynamic OS to become problematic or even downright unusable, while Standard OS seems to be much improved. Prior to the firmware, Dynamic OS was what seemed to yield better results. Am I better off using the older firmware with Dynamic OS or update to the latest and utilize Standard? I guess this is probably a user choice, but curious for others thoughts/recommendations on this.
2. With airshows being the primary use, my thoughts are to utilize OS Mode 2. If so, would I keep OS Mode 2 along with whatever custom mode I setup within the lens? This is probably a stupid question, but I am not familiar with Sigma and how these both work together. I think I am correct in that OS Mode 2 would be selected and then say C1 if that's the custom mode I setup
3. Curious to know how many of you chose to do micro focus adjustments with this lens either within your camera, using the Sigma dock, or with some other method such as Reikan FoCal. I will probably be doing some sort of adjustment, just not sure which method (leaning towards FoCal just for the ease, but not sure how well that actually does...more research necessary!). I plan to test out to see if there is any front/back focusing and how significant that is. I did focus adjustments on a Sigma 18-35 I previously owned and that was cumbersome and time consuming, but...those adjustments made it one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned!
Once I hear back on some responses, this may change, but my thinking is I have two options:
1. Keep the existing firmware, use OS Mode 2, and setup C1 as Dynamic OS with fast focus as the speed setting. I could set C2 as Dynamic or Standard with a different speed setting.
2. Update to the latest firmware, use OS Mode 2, and setup C1 as Standard OS with fast focus as the speed setting and set C2 as Standard OS with the standard speed setting.
I appreciate any input and/or recommendations you can provide!