Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
1,242 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 07, 2019 07:09 |  #5071

avondale87 wrote in post #18889160 (external link)
Very nice scene
This is what those planes are part of. Taking off into the unknown.
Landscape is inseparable part of that IMO.
I see ones a two seater. Are they originals?

Beautifully photographed.

Hi Richard,

Not sure if that particular 2 seater is original (guessing it is) they had a few buit for high level recognisance I believe - camera man in the rear seat. They now use it for passenger flights out of Biggin Hill air strip - NOT a cheap treat!!

.DAVID.

EOS box that goes click and some tubes with glass in them on the front.
http://www.davidstalla​rdphotography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,750 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 07, 2019 19:24 |  #5072

One extreme to another. This camera does not miss. Really going to be a tough decision to consider a Mirrorless body from Canon. Has to be as good as this body or I will stay put.

First shot was B&G from yesterdays wedding. Yes, this was their first dance. Both are professional artists . They were backlit so I used 2 Godox 600's to get the shot. Straight off capture for lighting. Really tickled with this one

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

graham121
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by graham121. (4 edits in all)

Jul 07, 2019 19:32 |  #5073

David Stallard wrote in post #18889456 (external link)
Hi Richard,

Not sure if that particular 2 seater is original (guessing it is) they had a few buit for high level recognisance I believe - camera man in the rear seat. They now use it for passenger flights out of Biggin Hill air strip - NOT a cheap treat!!

.DAVID.

I can chime in with a bit of history about that particular two seat spitfire.

ML407 is currently painted with invasion stripes to commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day, this was originally a Mk IX single seater built at Castle Bromwich in 1944 and flown operationally by a number of units including 485(NZ) Squadron.

It was one of about 15 Mk IX's that were converted post WWII by Supermarine or Vickers Armstrong to become T Mk IX's - later known as TR9's - and this one served as a trainer with the Irish Air Corps.

Known as the 'Grace Spitfire, more details of ML407 can be found here https://www.warbirdfli​ghts.co.uk/spitfireml4​07 (external link)

Hope that helps.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Gallery: 992 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by MatthewK. (2 edits in all)

Jul 08, 2019 06:54 |  #5074

rejay14 wrote in post #18888807 (external link)
I have both a 1DXII and 5DIV. I use the 5D a lot at weddings (ceremony) because of the superb silent mode. I can creep around the church and no one pays me any attention. My question is this: I don't find a whole lot of difference between the two bodies, regardless of photo-situations. Does anyone else see a difference? My photos are "croppable" with both bodies.

The big differences that have affected how I shoot (bird) when compared to the 5D4:

- spot metering linked to AF point. This is huge. In fact, this is the one feature that I feel has substantially improved my keeper rate w/ the 1DX2 over any previous Canon body. It's a travesty that Canon only reserves this for the 1-series. I also shoot w/ the EOS R, and despite the WYSIWYG advantage of the EVF, the shots from the 1DX2 come out metered exactly how I'd do it in the R.

- 14 fps is the other major thing that has positively impacted my keeper rate, as it makes capturing the perfect pose on a flitting, jittery bird a ton more easy.

- improved AF. The differences are subtle, but definitely noticeable. The 1 feels a little more immediate and rock solid when locked on. I don't get as many missed focus frames in a burst as I used to.

- high ISO advantage: ~.75 to 1 stop of noise. Not as big of a deal as the previous items, but I'll take every stop I can get :)

One of the first things I did when I got the 1DX2 was to compare side-by-side shots in order to see if the MP difference was noticeable for bird fine feather detail. In the end, it wasn't all that big of a difference, and like you said, both bodies produce crop-able images.

The 5D4 is a stellar camera. If I wasn't primarily shooting birds, without a doubt it's the body I'd still own. Emphasis added because unless you're in need of more FPS and slightly improved AF, I feel that the 5D4 is the better camera.

graham121
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 08, 2019 07:18 |  #5075

MatthewK wrote in post #18889999 (external link)
The big differences that have affected how I shoot (bird) when compared to the 5D4:

- spot metering linked to AF point. This is huge. In fact, this is the one feature that I feel has substantially improved my keeper rate w/ the 1DX2 over any previous Canon body. It's a travesty that Canon only reserves this for the 1-series. I also shoot w/ the EOS R, and despite the WYSIWYG advantage of the EVF, the shots from the 1DX2 come out metered exactly how I'd do it in the R.

- 14 fps is the other major thing that has positively impacted my keeper rate, as it makes capturing the perfect pose on a flitting, jittery bird a ton more easy.

- improved AF. The differences are subtle, but definitely noticeable. The 1 feels a little more immediate and rock solid when locked on. I don't get as many missed focus frames in a burst as I used to.

- high ISO advantage: ~.75 to 1 stop of noise. Not as big of a deal as the previous items, but I'll take every stop I can get :)

One of the first things I did when I got the 1DX2 was to compare side-by-side shots in order to see if the MP difference was noticeable for bird fine feather detail. In the end, it wasn't all that big of a difference, and like you said, both bodies produce crop-able images.

The 5D4 is a stellar camera. If I wasn't primarily shooting birds, without a doubt it's the body I'd still own. Emphasis added because unless you're in need of more FPS and slightly improved AF, I feel that the 5D4 is the better camera.

+1 for the better/snappier AF, spot metering linked to AF point, marginally better high high ISO and double the FPS.

I would also add the 1DX2 handles converters, especially the 2x, even better than the 5D4.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
4,305 posts
Gallery: 836 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 08, 2019 08:02 |  #5076

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48230982772_fbb8613a57_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gu1​oQu  (external link) Golden-ringed Dragonfly (external link) by Annie MacDonald (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

Mick-1960
Hatchling
7 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 08, 2019 12:04 |  #5077

HOSTED PHOTO

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,453 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Jul 08, 2019 20:11 |  #5078

umphotography wrote in post #18889758 (external link)
One extreme to another. This camera does not miss. Really going to be a tough decision to consider a Mirrorless body from Canon. Has to be as good as this body or I will stay put.

First shot was B&G from yesterdays wedding. Yes, this was their first dance. Both are professional artists . They were backlit so I used 2 Godox 600's to get the shot. Straight off capture for lighting. Really tickled with this one
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=188​89758&i=i78264415
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=188​89758&i=i105237176

What else to you shoot with as a 2nd body? Isn't is like a 5D mk iv?

I was looking at the 1DX mk ii, but realized the massive size and weight is a no-brainer for me on why not to buy. But that's due to my choice, such as recently removing grips. But if a new Canon mirrorless had 2 cards, maybe 5 to 7 FPS and a hint better than a 5D mk iv, it could be a great 2nd body. I can completely understand why you enjoy your camera, and the megapixels are plenty. Even on my 5DS last wedding, I cut the file setting to medium.

For the Godox, did you just raise on stands, and was that ample? Looks good. I think 9 ft. is the tallest stand I usually keep in my van.

And so your latest post overlaps one of my recent ponderings. 135mm or no 135mm .. LOL. I've been thinking of a 135 again for something lighter, sometimes, than the 70-200mm. I know from reviews the Sigma is sharper, but the review samples were so sharp, the images were unflattering to the women in the photos. So even the Canon 135mm seems ample, and the weight is forgiving.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Gallery: 992 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 08, 2019 20:25 |  #5079

Mick-1960 wrote in post #18890104 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Mick-1960 in
./showthread.php?p=188​90104&i=i171755585

This is stunning, nicely done! Very clear image.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,750 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by umphotography.

Jul 09, 2019 09:05 |  #5080

mdvaden wrote in post #18890324 (external link)
What else to you shoot with as a 2nd body? Isn't is like a 5D mk iv?

I was looking at the 1DX mk ii, but realized the massive size and weight is a no-brainer for me on why not to buy. But that's due to my choice, such as recently removing grips. But if a new Canon mirrorless had 2 cards, maybe 5 to 7 FPS and a hint better than a 5D mk iv, it could be a great 2nd body. I can completely understand why you enjoy your camera, and the megapixels are plenty. Even on my 5DS last wedding, I cut the file setting to medium.

For the Godox, did you just raise on stands, and was that ample? Looks good. I think 9 ft. is the tallest stand I usually keep in my van.

And so your latest post overlaps one of my recent ponderings. 135mm or no 135mm .. LOL. I've been thinking of a 135 again for something lighter, sometimes, than the 70-200mm. I know from reviews the Sigma is sharper, but the review samples were so sharp, the images were unflattering to the women in the photos. So even the Canon 135mm seems ample, and the weight is forgiving.

I Bring C stands to every wedding. And I can get them up to 10 Ft. I think i was about 8-9 ft for these shots.

I sold off my 70-200F/2.8. Too big and too heavy to use all day at a wedding. If I had a do over, I would get the Sigma 105 1.4. Its the best of both worlds BT the 85mm and 135MM and it has great bokeh like the 200 f/2.0.....I have been lusting for one but with a 135mm and an 85 art in the bag it just wasted $$ for me. 135MM does such a great job. I highly recommend for portrait work. If you get a little closer and it just blows the background to pieces. I still use it a ton

2nd body is a 5D4

here are close up 135L shots- these just have a preset applied. So the 135L i have is 12 yrs old. No need to rush off to get the 105 for me

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 09, 2019 12:08 |  #5081

At a go-kart track in Sumas, WA. The racers ages were anywhere from 6 to 70 years old. It was a fun day!

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/kart_1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/kart_2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/kart_3.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/kart_4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/kart_5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/kart_6.jpg

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 09, 2019 12:44 |  #5082

Here are a few from a recent airshow at Heritage Flight Museum (Skagit County Airport).

This plane is named Pearl. Of the 5 or 6 civilian aircraft that were in the air when Pearl Harbor was bombed, Pearl is believed to be the only survivor.

IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/hfm_1905_1.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/hfm_1905_2.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.lj3.com/1dx2/hfm_1905_3.jpg

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
16,880 posts
Gallery: 735 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 10, 2019 02:03 |  #5083

apersson850 wrote in post #18889145 (external link)
It's possible to do with a single key press on the 1DX Mark II. You do it easily with your eye still at the eyepiece and no change of grip of the camera. I double the 5D Mark IV will support it that fast.

When I'm using two cameras, I'm usually combining the 1DX with the 1DX Mark II.

Anders...you mentioned, "it's possible to do with a single key press on the 1DX Mark II. You do it easily with your eye still at the eyepiece and no change of grip of the camera." When I read that, I went back and took a look at my custom controls, and found that I could program the M-Fn button to do just what you mentioned. Wow, how cool is that! Thanks for the tip, Anders. I should have noticed that when I first got the camera. Now, I'm using it all the time.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,244 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2019 04:28 |  #5084

I'm glad you found my tip useful! :-)

Anders

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
16,880 posts
Gallery: 735 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 10, 2019 05:27 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #5085

I surely did, Anders. Thanks again.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

sponsored links

2,500,046 views & 18,064 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.