Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 07 Jul 2019 (Sunday) 15:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND mdvaden (showing now: mdvaden)
Overall Rating8.5
Overall Image Quality8.5
Value for Money10
Must Have7.5
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance8
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface9
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS R

Canon EOS R, reviewed by mdvaden

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Jul 07, 2019 15:53 |  #1

My ratings are based around the niche it was designed for and "must have" involves what I must have. Previously I owned or shot with Canon 5D mk ii, 5D mk iii, 5D mk iv and 5DS. Compared to what I paid new for some of those, I felt the EOS R was worth every dime, even underpriced for what it gained for me. It's near-equal with a 5D mk iv minus one card slot. The EOS R lacked a few aspects, but excelled in others like the tilt screen, focus points and effectiveness with certain EF lenses. I found the controls and buttons better than any of the 5D bodies I used. Had there been a joystick, i would find use, but learned focusing on the touchscreen was ideal. The touchbar can be considered neither a plus or a minus. Since it can be turned off, it's more of a plus. I use the bar for ISO, and sometimes Kelvin.

Honestly I can say I wished the EOS R had more, but I still got what I expected and paid for. Amidst a an autumn 2017 cloud of confusion on the internet, what sold me was a review from Travis Harris .... the video linked below. His review also saved me selling my Canon EF 85mm 1.2 ii needlessly.

I have used EF and RF Canon glass, plus a few fairly recent Tamron lenses and they functioned perfectly adapted on the EOS R. The new RF 50mm 1.2 has been as good as the Zeiss Milvus I used to own, but with the added benefit of IS. But the EF glass adapts so good, there's little need to buy more RF glass. Any more RF glass would be a WANT purchase. Ergonomically, the body is excellent to hold. For weddings, it's my main camera with the 5DS used about 40%. The EOS R does what I want enough that I almost dipped into my next-body-fund to get another EOS R for a 3rd body. But I'm holding off a few months until a two-card body becomes available. I don't shoot 4K, but recently saw a Youtube review that virtually crucified crop-4K squabbles, where the man noted the sheer simplicity of picking the right lenses.

In the 8 months I've used the EOS R, I've never seen circles noted by other photographers. I learned it is apparently a firmware issue or problem with 3rd party lenses, and may be available to stop by disabling a lens correction / compensation from the menu. Oh .. the batteries last good. Near equal photos as a 5D mk iii or 5D mk iv. If the EOS R body CANNOT do what a photographer needs, then it's understandable why they would choose another body. Often, I find that the shortcoming is their own deficit. For example, the Fro Knows Photo guy Jared Polin originally nagged about the lack of joystick and means of focusing. Soon after, he did another review explaining he preferred using the screen of the EOS R. A complete reversal after learning and practice.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"
624 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 07, 2019 16:37 |  #2

That is the video that actually convinced me to look into the Eos R.

http://jjackflash.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by mdvaden.

Jul 07, 2019 19:17 |  #3

jjackflash wrote in post #18889683 (external link)
That is the video that actually convinced me to look into the Eos R.

What surprised me when I first saw Travis Harris video was the degree of difference. Other reviewer's teetering feedback was more from dabbling or lab-like testing the waters. Harris's was the result of someone that unified with the equipment and learned to operate it with some maximum efficiency.

Suppose I can add a photo for window dressing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from mdvaden's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from mdvaden's gallery.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

N2bnfunn
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 08, 2019 20:26 |  #4

Is it just me or can this dude go on and on... geez

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,168 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Jul 10, 2019 21:14 |  #5

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18890328 (external link)

Probably just you "dude" ... feel free to move along. This is the review section, not the one-liner lounge.

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,503 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 10, 2019 21:36 |  #6

Unfortunately the R just isn't enough camera for me, I hope the next announcement is more up my alley.

Good first offering though from Canon, it's just unfortunate that they are still a bit behind the others.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,416 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 10, 2019 22:25 |  #7

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18890328 (external link)

It seems rather churlish to berate a guy for posting a review in the review section, no less.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 01, 2019 23:46 as a reply to  @ N2bnfunn's post |  #8

It's just you.

Flickr (external link)

Spencerphoto
569 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Aug 01, 2019 23:59 |  #9

While this is indeed the place to put reviews, I have to confess that I started to play the video but immediately bailed out when I saw it is almost an hour long.

Is there a highlights reel?  :p

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

sponsored links

572 views & 8 likes for this thread
Canon EOS R, reviewed by mdvaden
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.