Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Jun 2019 (Tuesday) 14:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Canon body for image quality when cropping tightly (birds)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,899 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 11, 2019 12:02 |  #16

iroctd wrote in post #18879938 (external link)
On the left is the 6D/150-600, on right 7D2/100-400.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by iroctd in
./showthread.php?p=188​79938&i=i120722693
forum: General Photography Talk

iroctd wrote in post #18879998 (external link)
The 6D and 7D2 have the same megapixels - 20.2,
the focal length is pretty much the same: 6D @ 600 , 7D2 @ 400*1.6 crop = 640
and I see that zooming in to 100% causes nearly identical photos.

With respect to what I made bold and red, I am not seeing what you are seeing.

The image on the left looks way, way, WAY clearer and sharper than the one on the right. . The feather detail is SO MUCH crisper. . It is an enormous difference in image quality, not a subtle or slight difference.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 11, 2019 12:13 |  #17

1/50th is TOO slow no matter if camera and lens are on a gimbal or not, one cannot guarantee the bird is 100% still even. I am quite sure the right side's lack of clarity is due to shutter speed.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,899 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 11, 2019 12:17 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18891940 (external link)
1/50th is TOO slow no matter if camera and lens are on a gimbal or not, one cannot guarantee the bird is 100% still even. I am quite sure the right side lack of clarity is due to shutter speed.

And that could have been so easily corrected by using ISO 400 instead of 100.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Canonuser123
692 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Canonuser123. (3 edits in all)

Jul 11, 2019 12:53 |  #19

I agree with using a blind for backyard birds. I recently bought a pop-up tent blind and set it up in an open area where I knew rabbits were coming out in the evening, the rabbits didn’t even know I was there. Another huge advantage of my tent blind is that the evening wind in the desert that usually plays havoc with my Sigma 150-600mm lens was not a factor at all.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48093424887_ae958462c4_b.jpg

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 11, 2019 13:37 |  #20

If I am in a blind in my backyard and the rabbits that keep eating all of our landscaping pop out of the bushes, I am quite sure I won't be shooting them with my camera/lens. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Canonuser123
692 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jul 11, 2019 13:57 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #21

I don’t care if the rabbits want to eat the weeds in the big open area of desert next to my lot, my lot is mostly Joshua trees and sand. I do have some fruit trees but I haven’t seen any rabbits climbing them, my dogs chase away any animals they see in my yard.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jul 11, 2019 14:08 |  #22

We used to have some coyotes and foxes in the area, but as fields are being turned into housing, they are all gone. They kept the population down to a small number in past years. Now the bunnies have mowed down all our lilies, hostas, and parts of our garden.

Canonuser123
692 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Canonuser123.

Jul 11, 2019 14:16 |  #23

We have lots of Coyotes around this year, we had lots of rain early in the year so there are more critters for the Coyotes to eat, my niece raises expensive dwarf goats and just lost some to Coyotes. My dogs are big enough to scare off the Coyotes. I live in the Mojave desert.

This is the lot next door from 12 years ago but it looks the same now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

1,260 views & 13 likes for this thread
Which Canon body for image quality when cropping tightly (birds)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.