Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Jul 2019 (Monday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Refurbished Ordering??

snegron
254 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 22, 2019 14:53 |  #1

Anyone else having issues trying to order from Canon refurbished site? They had a 10% off sale on their refurbished items, but I gave up after getting numerous errors during the check out process. I re-entered my order 3 times but kept getting different error messages. Anyone else having issues with their ordering process?

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
3,262 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by mdvaden.

Jul 22, 2019 16:04 |  #2

Never had a problem with actual product. I've ordered several camera bodies and a couple lenses the past few years. It's my preference over new, and not just because of better price.

But I recall encountering a gliche before on pages or some form one time.

If you call them I'm sure they can iron it out fast.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 22, 2019 17:05 |  #3

I had that problem once when I was trying to buy a 5D4. After multiple aborted attempts, I just called them and place the order over the phone. That always goes through pretty quickly in my experience.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

dangermoney
126 posts
Joined Mar 2019

Jul 22, 2019 22:34 |  #4

Sometimes it's the browser you're using. If you haven't already try different browsers.

I always call. That way I can check if they still have what I want in stock before ordering. I have called when they show an item available and it's actually sold out.

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2019 07:39 as a reply to  @ dangermoney's post |  #5

I ended up trying one last time yesterday evening and was able to place the order. I got an order confirmation email from them, so crossing my fingers that I actually receive the order.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,836 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 23, 2019 07:41 |  #6

Which browser? It is a nightmare for our IT departments to develop web apps and having to verify that the 4 major browsers work with any new development. If I have an error on a site I usually try a different browser.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,117 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 23, 2019 08:13 |  #7

snegron wrote in post #18898120 (external link)
I re-entered my order 3 times but kept getting different error messages.

I also see that you were successful but I would also check your credit card transactions just to be certain you haven’t done duplicate orders in some form.

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2019 10:15 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #8

Thanks!! Two transactions show; one for $0 and the other for the amount I paid for the lens.

I'm assuming that the $0 was for the first attempt.

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2019 10:27 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18898476 (external link)
Which browser? It is a nightmare for our IT departments to develop web apps and having to verify that the 4 major browsers work with any new development. If I have an error on a site I usually try a different browser.

Chrome. I still don't understand why it also had so many weird quirks like asking for nicknames, etc.

Overall, their website was not well designed for purchasing. There are smaller businees out there with much better web designs. And nothing to do with Canon being a giant, mega corporation. I ordered through Nikon several times before and didn't have this issue.

I hope I didn't make the mistake of ordering through some cloneed, scam website. There is no way a company as big and reputable like Canon can have such an amateurish, dysfunctional web site for ordering items from them.

I will check my credit card every day just in case.

On the other hand, lesson learned for me. This is the last time I order anything directly from Canon. It was not worth the aggravation. Luckily I own and use both Canon and Nikon equipment (7Dmk2 and D750), so I can lean toward any brand when needed.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2019 10:33 |  #10

Just order by phone if you feel uncomfortable with the website. The Canon refurb store, especially when they have sales, is a great way to buy near-new equipment for pretty good discounts. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,675 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2019 10:47 |  #11

snegron wrote in post #18898474 (external link)
I got an order confirmation email from them, so crossing my fingers that I actually receive the order.

snegron wrote in post #18898534 (external link)
I hope I didn't make the mistake of ordering through some cloneed, scam website. There is no way a company as big and reputable like Canon can have such an amateurish, dysfunctional web site for ordering items from them.

Several folks here suggested calling Canon instead, but for some reason it seems that you refused to follow this good advice. Why the hesitation over giving them a phone call? . Almost everything goes better when you talk with a live human over the telephone, compared to just doing things through a website.

On the other hand, lesson learned for me. This is the last time I order anything directly from Canon. It was not worth the aggravation.

There would be none of this aggravation if you would've just called them. . Several folks here suggested calling Canon instead, but for some reason it seems that you refused to follow this good advice.

Why the hesitation over giving them a phone call? . Almost everything goes better when you talk with a live human over the telephone, compared to just doing things through a website. . Calling is easier and it is faster and it is more convenient and it is more secure and it does not result in aggravation.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2019 13:27 |  #12

I check their site somewhat regularly in hopes of encountering one of their
mega-sales on photo paper, and there have been 2 or 3 times when the website
has been flaky, with one occasion displaying an acknowledgement of problems
that they were addressing.
I've seen others mentioning such flakiness in their experience, too.

But I would certainly call to place an order if I found a great price on something
I REALLY wanted and their website was being buggy.

Craig5D MK IV|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,117 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 23, 2019 14:24 |  #13

Chrome. I still don't understand why it also had so many weird quirks like asking for nicknames, etc.

Overall, their website was not well designed for purchasing. There are smaller businees out there with much better web designs. And nothing to do with Canon being a giant, mega corporation. I ordered through Nikon several times before and didn't have this issue.

I will check my credit card every day just in case.

On the other hand, lesson learned for me. This is the last time I order anything directly from Canon. It was not worth the aggravation. Luckily I own and use both Canon and Nikon equipment (7Dmk2 and D750), so I can lean toward any brand when needed.

It is difficult to retrace what you could have done. I just went in and did a test order of a refurbished 80D using Safari and Chrome. I did these test orders as a guest as I do have a Canon account. I went up to the point of payment and neither gave me any issues and the screens and ordering process seem to be similar to when I did order an 80D six months ago. At no time was I prompted for a nickname or user name but I do take notice that you can pay using four different methods, three of which likely will ask you for a user name (PayPal for example).

If I used my Canon account then I used my Canon credentials up front and when prompted for payment, as an example PayPal, then I was asked for the PayPal credentials

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2019 18:05 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #14

When chatting with a customer service person I asked about the reason for them wanting me to enter a nickname. She advised that it was to avoid duplicate orders. That made absolutely no sense at all to me.

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 23, 2019 18:35 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18898541 (external link)
Several folks here suggested calling Canon instead, but for some reason it seems that you refused to follow this good advice. Why the hesitation over giving them a phone call? . Almost everything goes better when you talk with a live human over the telephone, compared to just doing things through a website.

There would be none of this aggravation if you would've just called them. . Several folks here suggested calling Canon instead, but for some reason it seems that you refused to follow this good advice.

Why the hesitation over giving them a phone call? . Almost everything goes better when you talk with a live human over the telephone, compared to just doing things through a website. . Calling is easier and it is faster and it is more convenient and it is more secure and it does not result in aggravation.

Ok Tom, I'll take the bait...

Yesterday around midday (can't recall the exact time), I tried placing an order for a refurbished lens on the "Canon" website. After several failed attempts I started this thread to see if maybe others were having an issue with ordering from that website.

I did appreciate the advice given by many regarding calling instead of using their website. However, I was going to simply not order anything because, in my opinion, if something that is usually simple to do (like placing an order online) is too difficult to do, then there must be some cosmic reason for this and it is a sign for me to move on.

Fast forward a few hours and my wife arrived from work. I casually mentioned the issue to her and she suggested I try the website again. I tried proving a point to her that it was a waste of time and that the order would not go through, but it miraculously went through just to prove me wrong.

There is no hidden agenda here. I am not a troll. I am not looking to bait people into liking nor disliking Canon; I currently own the following cameras:

- Canon 7dmk2 (my sports shooter)

- Canon T3i (my 1st Canon, my college kid uses it now)

- Canon T6 (got a fantastic deal back in December and I needed a travel camera)

- Nikon D750 (got it a couple of months ago, my only full frame dslr).

- Four (yes 4) Nikon D200 bodies (I run a photo club for kids)

- Two (yes 2) Nikon D1X bodies (also for my club, were my main cameras years ago).

As for Canon lenses I currently own a 16-35mm f4 L, a 70-200mm f2.8 L plus several kit lenses that came with my Canons, a 50mm 1.8 and a 10-18mm.

As for Nikon lenses I have way more as I have been using Nikon equipment continuously since 1984.

If you are wondering, I felt the need to mention the eqipment I own (didn't bother to mention my Lumix m4/3 equipment plus all my film cameras including medium format...) because I want it to be clear that I am not a troll.

Yes, I could have provided all the details of why I didn't call Canon to place the order, but I didn't think it really maytered. Obviously there was a glitch in their ordering system that corrected itself later in the day thereby allowing me to place my order.

Is there a remote possibility that I probably placed the order through some fake, cloned website? Maybe. Hopefully not. If so, then I will contact my credit card company and file a report.

Now you know the reason why I didn't call. It was not out of defiance toward anyone here. It was just simply how things played out for me.

sponsored links

892 views & 10 likes for this thread
Canon Refurbished Ordering??
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.