Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 09 Jul 2019 (Tuesday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM or EF 100 f/2.8

drifter106
559 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 09, 2019 13:13 |  #1

Debating on which route to go...was thinking the IS would be better as it would help with me taking pictures. Don't expect it to help with subject matter but rather (in my old age) to stabilize everything. Substantial price difference between the 2 and was curious as to your thoughts on this matter. Please advise with any information you can so I can make the most fruitful decision.

regards,

john

Gear
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,658 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 10, 2019 06:01 |  #2

Yes, there is a substantial price difference but IMHO I feel it is worth it especially when you indicate a need "to stabilize everything".

Doug
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)

5D Mk IV & 7D Mk II
EF 16-35 f/4L EF 50 f/1.8 (Original) EF 24-105 f/4L EF 100 f/2.8L Macro EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L

mat ­ vanella
892 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by mat vanella.

Jul 10, 2019 06:55 |  #3

I've used both and settled on and used the 100 f2.8L IS USM for many years now. The image stabilization and quality of glass is well worth the extra coin. Good stable handheld shots are a huge asset when chasing insects around the garden. Also you'll find some terrific deals around on the used 2.8L IS USM versions. They're going for $700ish Aus ATMO, which is damn good.

Got stuff ;)
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/83191052@N06/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
14,112 posts
Gallery: 2121 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 10, 2019 08:10 |  #4

Heya,

Depends on what you're using it for and if you're shooting it wide open or stopped down.

There are also pretty much as-good alternatives to fill the price gap difference from Tamron & Sigma with stabilization.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Windwoman
122 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jul 2019

Jul 10, 2019 19:12 |  #5

I am going with the IS. I want this lens mostly for Macro but it will come in handy for other shots. I am learning that IS is a must for me.

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2017
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pigpen101.

Jul 10, 2019 19:29 |  #6

The price difference is minor. When I first had to make this decision 5 years ago, the difference in price between the 2 was around $400. I got the "cheaper" one and am extremely happy with it. Today, however, the difference in price is $149!! I LOVE the non "L", but for a buck fifty, I'd definitely get the "L".

Unless...………………….You want to wait and see what happens with this lens. The "L" has been this lower price for quite a while now, I've been paying attention. It is 10 years old now, dropping the price so low may mean a new version is on the way. It's also possible they'll stop making it except for a mirrorless version????;-)a

Windwoman
122 posts
Joined Jul 2019

Jul 10, 2019 19:33 as a reply to  @ Pigpen101's post |  #7

That happens all the time. I gave up and just buy what I want to use when I can afford to do so.

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Jul 10, 2019 19:56 as a reply to  @ Windwoman's post |  #8

I agree. I have no regrets with the purchase, great lens. I tend to do a lot of research on things before I pull the trigger. Almost everyone was convinced the only difference between the 2 was the IS, therefore you were paying $400 just for the IS. The IQ of my lens is stunning, and that is with shooting old crop sensor technology. I just went from 2 7Ds to 2 6Ds, meaning I can't wait to see my results on a FF sensor.

The only reason I've been paying attention to this price reduction lately is because my 100mm needs to go to Canon for repair. If they come back with a quote higher than maybe, let's say $400, I would probably not do it and just get a new lens.

I do know what you mean about getting what you can, when you can. I came up with a strategy. I start by purchasing a $25 or $50 B&H gift card every payday. Once I get some decent $$, I decide what my next purchase will be. Not only do prices & sales change all the time, B&H specials & bundles also change all the time. When I find what I need at the price I want, I buy it. Then, of course, I start buying gift cards all over again.

Dalantech
Cream of the Crop
5,250 posts
Gallery: 483 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 11, 2019 15:52 |  #9

I can't recommend either one because they are both 100mm lenses. You should choose a macro lens based on what the primary light source is going to be. More info here (external link).

P.S. IS only stabilizes your motion, and not the subject...

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

Windwoman
122 posts
Joined Jul 2019

Jul 14, 2019 21:15 as a reply to  @ Dalantech's post |  #10

For someone getting started what would be the best reasonably priced flash or light source for taking insect macro pictures

Dalantech
Cream of the Crop
5,250 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 15, 2019 03:28 as a reply to  @ Windwoman's post |  #11

What camera do you have? I like to stick to name brand flash units. Get the flash close to the subject and just about any flash will work just fine.

My Blog (external link)

Windwoman
122 posts
Joined Jul 2019

Jul 26, 2019 21:05 |  #12

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My lens is here I got these shots just as my sprinkler system turned on. Darn thing I was having fun!

roycobb4570
146 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jul 2019
Post edited over 2 years ago by roycobb4570.

Aug 21, 2019 01:01 |  #13

Looking at getting the f2.8 L lens as my first macro lens are they as good as pepole say they are for the money over the non L lens

Stand for something or fall for every thing

Dalantech
Cream of the Crop
5,250 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Dalantech.

Aug 21, 2019 02:16 |  #14

roycobb4570 wrote in post #18913650 (external link)
Looking at getting the f2.8 L lens as my first macro lens are they as good as pepole say they are for the money over the non L lens

I don't recommend macro lenses in the 100mm range. If you're using natural light as the primary light source then you'll wish you had more working distance. If you're using a flash then a macro lens in the 60mm range is better, cause you need to get the flash as close to the subject as possible to get good diffusion and the keep the flash duration as short as possible (easier to freeze motion and get sharp images). So the working distance of a 100mm macro lens will work against you if you use a flash.

My Blog (external link)

Pigpen101
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 21, 2019 16:16 as a reply to  @ roycobb4570's post |  #15

I have the non L version and I love it. Today, however, I would choose the L version. When I purchased mine the price difference was $400, today it's now only $150 more for the L. The research I did before hand (which was a lot) lead me to many people saying the picture quality was slightly better with the L version. So I thought I would be paying an extra $400 just for IS. I think, if purchasing today, the IS would be worth $150.

sponsored links

2,887 views & 21 likes for this thread
EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM or EF 100 f/2.8
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.