Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

jp450r
47 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 13, 2019 23:29 |  #11971

Here is something i tested out the other day. I have a nikon n1 j1 and thought i would give it a try. Truck was very dirty and was not going for anything special, just a test. As soon as my filter adapter gets here. i will try in out again. The reason for even trying this is i was a lot less nervous hanging this from a pole than i am my D750 lol.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
chrisa
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 18, 2019 07:08 |  #11972

Is it possible to achieve the same effect as a rig using a drone?

PKmode
504 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 04, 2019 13:56 |  #11973

Yes, but it is difficult. I've done it. You have to match the speed, distance and angle perfectly and it's hard to get really close. Also, drones's cams don't generally have the IQ and dynamic range. What they do offer are unique perspectives and no need to clone out a boom.

I'll post some of my example when I get out shooting this year. Still crappy in WI and no one has brought out their toys.

Becoming a gear junkie.:rolleyes:

FPeterE
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2017
Post edited 10 months ago by FPeterE. (2 edits in all)

Jul 21, 2019 10:04 |  #11974

First attempt for the season, camera as low as I dared. Had the entire parking garage for myself.

"ISO31" and Haida 150mm ND filter (bulky lens)

HOSTED PHOTO

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 21, 2019 10:32 |  #11975

FPeterE wrote in post #18897382 (external link)
First attempt for the season, camera as low as I dared. Had the entire parking garage for myself.

"ISO31" and Haida 150mm ND filter (bulky lens)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by FPeterE in
./showthread.php?p=188​97382&i=i267984765
forum: Transportation Talk

Interesting image!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

FPeterE
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2017

Jul 28, 2019 11:25 |  #11976

2nd attempt. Not very satisfied with this one, but there is not much activity on this thread lately, so...

HOSTED PHOTO

nikus
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Jul 28, 2019 11:55 |  #11977

Second picture has a better perspective, but it looks like it was not sharp. If you like low perspective, you should add extra length to your RIG boom :)

AndrejsGuscins
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2020

May 12, 2020 03:57 |  #11978

Good morning Gents,

I'm new here at this forum. Looking into a Rig photography and would like to build my rig. But have a couple of questions about the setup.

1. Suction Cups) I was thinking to get a Manfrotto cups but read here that they are not so good, and searched for Woods, this is what I wounded Woods TL6AM (external link). Is these the good one?

2. "Strings") On some Rigs I see a "string" attached on the top. Is this to reduce bounce? If yes, maybe someone can be so kind and share hot to build it? or at least show detailed pictures of this string setup?

Thank you in advance.

I hope to be able one day to share my Rig shots here ;)

losangelino
964 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited 9 days ago by losangelino.

May 21, 2020 10:21 |  #11979

Anyone try rigging from under the car with some sort of swivel to adjust height?

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

PKmode
504 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 28, 2020 15:18 |  #11980

AndrejsGuscins wrote in post #19061750 (external link)
Good morning Gents,

I'm new here at this forum. Looking into a Rig photography and would like to build my rig. But have a couple of questions about the setup.

1. Suction Cups) I was thinking to get a Manfrotto cups but read here that they are not so good, and searched for Woods, this is what I wounded Woods TL6AM (external link). Is these the good one?

2. "Strings") On some Rigs I see a "string" attached on the top. Is this to reduce bounce? If yes, maybe someone can be so kind and share hot to build it? or at least show detailed pictures of this string setup?

Thank you in advance.

I hope to be able one day to share my Rig shots here ;)

Wood's cups are certainly better and more reliable. I got by with the Avengers for a few years with very light use without issue though. Wood's also requires the rods and clamps as well whereas the Avengers have the swivel there so you don't need the rods. that said, rods afford greater control and stability.

The cables are to dampen the vibrations, yes. A simple eye hook on a threaded rod is an easy way to achieve this attaching each end to the boom ends and the eye hook is closer to the car. The adjustable hooks with threads easily add tension when needed.

Becoming a gear junkie.:rolleyes:

sponsored links

4,181,591 views & 536 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.