Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 26 May 2007 (Saturday) 06:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SHOW US YOUR BEST PANNING SHOT

Charlie ­ Victor
180 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Aug 05, 2019 11:00 |  #8686

Prescott Speed Hill Climb, yesterday.
Vintage Sports Car Club meeting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35 f/4 L / EF 24-105 L / Sigma 50 f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II / EF 100‑400 f/4.5‑5.6 L is II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Canon G1X mark iii
GoPro Hero 3+
iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S10

sponsored links
tbtstt
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 06, 2019 03:01 |  #8687

From the Titans RX rallycross round at Lydden last month:

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48470093707_565ac45ba1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gR8​UbP  (external link) Ford Focus I 4x4 T16 (45) (Andy Grant) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48470096162_328ced6cc9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gR8​UV9  (external link) Pantera RX6 (71) (Kevin Hansen) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48470099377_28240378af_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gR8​VSz  (external link) Ford Fiesta VII 4x4 T16 (21) (Oliver Bennett) (external link) by Steve White (external link), on Flickr

Charlie ­ Victor
180 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Aug 06, 2019 12:46 |  #8688

A couple more from the Vintage Sports Car Club meeting at Prescott last weekend.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35 f/4 L / EF 24-105 L / Sigma 50 f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II / EF 100‑400 f/4.5‑5.6 L is II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Canon G1X mark iii
GoPro Hero 3+

Pigpen101
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 06, 2019 15:10 as a reply to  @ Charlie Victor's post |  #8689

I love those old cars. I get a chance to shoot vintage racing once a year. They are not quite as cool as yours, though. The guys I shoot have very deep pockets & the cars look pristine, I prefer the dirty, gritty vehicles like the ones you have here. ;-)a

Charlie ­ Victor
180 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Aug 06, 2019 17:09 |  #8690

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18906056 (external link)
The guys I shoot have very deep pockets & the cars look pristine, I prefer the dirty, gritty vehicles like the ones you have here. ;-)a

I don't know about depths of pocket, but from the same meeting a 1932 MG F1 Magna in Alfa Romeo red that is the pride and joy of Steve Mckevoy.
Beyond immaculate (bar a non-functioning rev counter, I see!), there was not a spec of dirt anywhere and the fit and finish of every last detail amazing.
The supercharged straight six of tiny 1.3 litre (79 Cubic inch) capacity sounds fantastic too and belies technology that is over 80 years old.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon G1X mark iii
GoPro Hero 3+

Pigpen101
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 06, 2019 17:26 as a reply to  @ Charlie Victor's post |  #8691

Brilliant shots of beautiful car......

Spencerphoto
948 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Aug 06, 2019 17:48 |  #8692

One downside to the POTN forum for me is seeing photos from the motor sport scene in the UK and Europe, which constantly reminds me how utterly crap the Australian scene is by comparison. No fault of Aussies. It's mostly because Oz is so far from everywhere else and has a relatively small population in relation to its size.

Oh, and the obsession with 'V8 Supercars' (motor racing for footy fans, essentially) to the detriment of every other class.

:-(

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Grand ­ Dad
302 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2019 19:49 |  #8693

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18906120 (external link)
One downside to the POTN forum for me is seeing photos from the motor sport scene in the UK and Europe, which constantly reminds me how utterly crap the Australian scene is by comparison. No fault of Aussies. It's mostly because Oz is so far from everywhere else and has a relatively small population in relation to its size.

Oh, and the obsession with 'V8 Supercars' (motor racing for footy fans, essentially) to the detriment of every other class.

To a certain degree, I can feel your pain. When I see the photos of the UK and Europe cars and bikes and all the fans lining the edges of WRC, the Isle of Man TT, Irish road racing and other spectacular racing classes, I am so jealous. The overly litigious nature of America precludes allowing many form of racing and/or access to view it except on television. Gaining access to many tracks and racing events is becoming much more difficult, costly and disappointing to try to photograph. Shooting through two or three layers of huge fences or from a massive distance away certainly limits the dedicated, but non credentialed, photographer in the pursuit of quality images.

And at the risk of angering the hordes of fans of NASCAR, and unfortunately, some other open wheel racing, I view most of the competition there as an automotive version of the World Wrestling Entertainment. It all seems to be contrived to be a made for television event that has taken a lot of the pure racing out if it for the sake of ratings and sponsor dollars. :rolleyes:

So those of you who still can enjoy and witness up close racing, please continue to share your amazing photos.

Larry

http://lateapexphoto.c​om (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,769 posts
Gallery: 508 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 06, 2019 20:18 |  #8694

Grand Dad wrote in post #18906180 (external link)
To a certain degree, I can feel your pain. When I see the photos of the UK and Europe cars and bikes and all the fans lining the edges of WRC, the Isle of Man TT, Irish road racing and other spectacular racing classes, I am so jealous. The overly litigious nature of America precludes allowing many form of racing and/or access to view it except on television. Gaining access to many tracks and racing events is becoming much more difficult, costly and disappointing to try to photograph. Shooting through two or three layers of huge fences or from a massive distance away certainly limits the dedicated, but non credentialed, photographer in the pursuit of quality images.

And at the risk of angering the hordes of fans of NASCAR, and unfortunately, some other open wheel racing, I view most of the competition there as an automotive version of the World Wrestling Entertainment. It all seems to be contrived to be a made for television event that has taken a lot of the pure racing out if it for the sake of ratings and sponsor dollars. :rolleyes:

So those of you who still can enjoy and witness up close racing, please continue to share your amazing photos.

yeah, as a fan, it is getting harder and harder to shoot any races...one of the best tracks in the country has put up 15-20 foot tall catch fences for Indy around the entire track...and now its not even fun to watch cars on track...much less photograph them. When Barber first opened, you could essentially stand on the back side of the armco...it was most excellent. Road Atlanta, my home track has even put up more fences...but I still find a way to shoot there and will do so...not likely Indycar will ever come to Road Atlanta...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Spencerphoto
948 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Aug 06, 2019 21:58 |  #8695

At the first motor race I attended, back in 1971 at Oulton Park (UK), I stood behind a waist-high, wooden picket fence that was around six feet from the armco barrier. There was nothing whatsoever between me and Jackie Stewart (in his Tyrrell F1) above waist height. This was on the outside exit of Old Hall corner, where those F1 cars were drifting out to the edge of the tarmac at (I'm guessing) 120mph.

When I first started photographing motor sport seriously, a few years later, I was able to talk my way into the press office and sign-on with no credentials, for a international championship motorcycle race.

Nowadays, fully retired, I can't get into a go kart meeting this weekend because I haven't got a 'Blue Card' (meaning it's safe to let me near your children - probably), I haven't been 'approved' by Karting Australia and my photographer's flouro jacket is yellow, not pink ...

Even if I could be bothered to do all that, I must apply the organiser's logo to all images, even if I'm giving them away, and grant them a licence to use, reproduce, distribute and alter my images in any way they see fit.

So I'm going to photograph a rally instead. Health & Safety and his best mate, Everything is Ours, don't seem to have taken over club rallying - yet. :-)

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Pippan
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Gallery: 213 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by Pippan.

Aug 07, 2019 06:36 |  #8696

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18906120 (external link)

Yes, some of the more disparaging amongst us call it 'taxi racing'.

— It's better to regret what you've done than what you haven't done —

Muddy2
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 07, 2019 07:55 |  #8697

HOSTED PHOTO

Sydney dragway 500kph+ at the finishline

HOSTED PHOTO

Pigpen101
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Joined Mar 2017

Aug 07, 2019 15:04 as a reply to  @ Grand Dad's post |  #8698

I completely understand. If I am not granted "hot pass" credentials I don't even go, not worth it. Different sport, but similar note, PGA golf. You can have credentials but still have to deal with the crowds. Unless you have "inside the ropes" credential it is a chore. You almost have to pick a green/tee and stay there waiting for the golfers to come to you. I've covered 2 PGA events and luckily had inside the ropes credentials for both.

The key is getting that very first one. When I apply for racing credentials they want to know if you've ever had "hot pass" credentials. If the answer is yes, you have a much better chance of being granted them again.

speedync
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 09, 2019 20:49 |  #8699

Are the panning Police still about? :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

speedync
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined May 2011

Aug 09, 2019 20:53 |  #8700

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

2,920,587 views & 7,404 likes for this thread
SHOW US YOUR BEST PANNING SHOT
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.