Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 01:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What I (think) I like about the G1X III

noosa ­ guy
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by noosa guy. (2 edits in all)

Aug 26, 2018 19:18 |  #16

shane_c wrote in post #18693604 (external link)
I love my 80D with 15-85 and 70-200 combo and the image quality is fantastic I'm just tired of carrying it around. Normally the best photo opportunities I have are out hiking but find myself leaving it home and taking my G15 which comes nowhere near the image quality. So with the G1X1 I'm getting a little closer at least and will be able to get some decent quality pics when I'm out hiking.

Getting a G1X3 would essentially give me similar quality to the 80D. Plus I'd have the benefit of having it with me more often and not be burdened by the weight.

I agree completely.
Here is a test shot outside the camera store... It's not quite as crisp as the original image but it gives you an idea.

https://imgur.com/a/PN​CqZzT (external link)

noosa ­ guy
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Aug 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by noosa guy.

Sep 08, 2018 19:13 |  #17

Okay this is confirmation of why I bought the Powershot G1X III. It's simple really... considering both cameras share the same APS-C sensor and produce loverly 24 MP images, both cameras have a zoom lens (albeit the G1X is slightly less on the long side), The 80D with 15-85mm zoom weighs 1375 grams while the G1X3 weighs less than 400 grams and both cameras offer full control over the picture taking experience etc.

JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE SIZE DIFFERENCE... WHICH CAMERA WOULD YOU PREFER TO LUG AROUND ALL DAY?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Stiga
Cream of the Crop
8,364 posts
Gallery: 897 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Sep 09, 2018 05:09 |  #18

Because of lens geometry, one feature that the G-series has is that all of them do exceptionally well when taking close-ups. But my old G12 and my new G5 X do not do so well when focusedon infinity.

As you have the G1X and the 80D, how do you erate them when shooting landscapes?

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

noosa ­ guy
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Sep 10, 2018 01:17 |  #19

Stiga wrote in post #18703944 (external link)
Because of lens geometry, one feature that the G-series has is that all of them do exceptionally well when taking close-ups. But my old G12 and my new G5 X do not do so well when focusedon infinity.

As you have the G1X and the 80D, how do you erate them when shooting landscapes?

Too early to say. I've only had the G1X3 for a few days but what I can say is the noise is pretty much identical in both cameras and so it should be with the same sensor.
I see no reason the G1X3 won't take very good landscapes although personally, that's not what I bought it for.
The fact is with a zoom range of (full frame equivalent) 24mm to 72mm it will cover 90% or more of my travel needs.

Charlie ­ Victor
180 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Aug 06, 2019 19:04 |  #20

After two Sony RX100s failed with the same issue at the same age, I purchased a G1X III as my travel camera.
What a great piece of kit this DSLR nearly-in-a-pocket, is.

Two examples from completely different genres of photography.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35 f/4 L / EF 24-105 L / Sigma 50 f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II / EF 100‑400 f/4.5‑5.6 L is II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Canon G1X mark iii
GoPro Hero 3+
iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S10

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

13,764 views & 10 likes for this thread
What I (think) I like about the G1X III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.