Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 30 May 2009 (Saturday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,541 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 28, 2019 19:48 |  #5146

I just got back from a 4 day trip to the Seattle area...2 days out shooting and 2 days in a classroom workshop...the first day out I spent in the Hoh Rainforest...will have to go back, I left so much on the table there...but I brought a 24TSE with me to work on some wide pano format images...I need two new pieces at home.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from TRhoads's gallery.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
dangermoney
188 posts
Joined Mar 2019

Aug 28, 2019 21:36 |  #5147

ken2000ac wrote in post #18884213 (external link)
Ah good to see some activity on this thread again. What the hell, here's some from lately:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gcU​3nE  (external link) Helsinki - Matinkyl√§ Mattby (external link) by Kenny McCartney (external link), on Flickr

Ken, This one really got my attention. Thanks for posting.

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,585 posts
Gallery: 611 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 29, 2019 14:28 |  #5148

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48643788842_cda374e84c_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2h7u​8Gw  (external link) Blue hour (external link) by Mark (external link), on Flickr

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,454 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 29, 2019 15:56 |  #5149

TRhoads wrote in post #18918383 (external link)
I just got back from a 4 day trip to the Seattle area...2 days out shooting and 2 days in a classroom workshop...the first day out I spent in the Hoh Rainforest...will have to go back, I left so much on the table there...but I brought a 24TSE with me to work on some wide pano format images...I need two new pieces at home.

Hi Travis, it's been a while...very nice rain forest shot! How are you liking the Sony with Canon lenses? I keep getting tempted...but still love my Canon bodies.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,427 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by mdvaden.

Aug 29, 2019 21:41 |  #5150

TRhoads wrote in post #18918383 (external link)

I'm pondering a tilt shift, but maybe more for portraits. I shoot in the redwoods, where I think fisheye may be a better choice than tilt shift. I'm headed back again next week, and I may study for ideas where a plane of focus that's not perpendicular may have a purpose. And to think about tapering trunks.

The straightening through shift should work nice in some groves. Sometimes I find people like the tapered look because it exaggerates height. Maybe the way to go is shoot both ways.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,541 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 29, 2019 21:46 |  #5151

KaosImagery wrote in post #18918861 (external link)
Hi Travis, it's been a while...very nice rain forest shot! How are you liking the Sony with Canon lenses? I keep getting tempted...but still love my Canon bodies.

I like being able to still use a tilt shift. Focus peaking makes it a lot easier.

mdvaden wrote in post #18918989 (external link)
I'm pondering a tilt shift, but maybe more for portraits. I shoot in the redwoods, where I think fisheye may be a better choice than tilt shift. I'm headed back again next week, and I may study for ideas where a plane of focus that's not perpendicular may have a purpose.

Not sure that a fisheye and a tilt shift are in the same ballpark. If you know why a TSE is so sharp then you understand the value in them. For 99% of what I do with a TSE I don't use the tilt function, only the shift.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,427 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 31, 2019 11:14 |  #5152

TRhoads wrote in post #18918992 (external link)
I like being able to still use a tilt shift. Focus peaking makes it a lot easier.

Not sure that a fisheye and a tilt shift are in the same ballpark. If you know why a TSE is so sharp then you understand the value in them. For 99% of what I do with a TSE I don't use the tilt function, only the shift.

My thought about TS in the redwoods is changing the plane for certain tall trunks to keep the plane more parallel to the length of the trunk. I didn't say fisheye are in the same ballpark, but in certain groves, the effect can look more dramatic, used sparingly. I've got primes on par with some tilt shift, that I use in the redwoods. Although, even 24-70mm on tripod adds enough detail like the photo below, even up to a 30 inch print size. I almost have to up to 60 inch prints to spot bigger difference between prime and the better zooms. With the exception of portraits in the forest, then it shows smaller.

Odds are, I will own both before autumn arrives.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from mdvaden's gallery.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,541 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 09, 2019 06:07 |  #5153

One more from the Hoh Rainforest.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from TRhoads's gallery.

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,585 posts
Gallery: 611 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 27, 2019 05:51 |  #5154

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48966543293_7586834879_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hB1​kmr  (external link) Egglestone Abbey (external link) by Mark (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

1,505,576 views & 1,596 likes for this thread
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.