Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Aug 2019 (Friday) 09:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrading lighting equipment

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 30, 2019 09:58 |  #1

I have a Canon 80D, 1 Canon Speelite 580EX, and two PWII. I searched Adorama to see if there are any labor day deals on lighting. Didn't find much but found these mostly to be used for outdoor photography. Hopefully I can get some guidance.

Purpose is for rim light for indoor/outdoor.
https://www.adorama.co​m/cllclsu72b.html?Emai​lPrice=T (external link)
https://www.adorama.co​m/cllclsl360b.html?Ema​ilPrice=T (external link)

I saw these remotes for Canon, which if not mistaken I was previously suggested to use first link. It was $20 off before but didn't take advantage.
https://www.adorama.co​m/fprrr2proc.html (external link)
https://www.adorama.co​m/fprrr2t32c.html?Emai​lPrice=T (external link)

The eVOLV 200 PRO, don't know if this is regular price.
https://www.adorama.co​m …html?EmailPrice​=T#bundles (external link)

Also interested in the Flashpoint 400/pro, but seems I may rather wait for Black Friday.

Thank you in advanced for the help.

sponsored links
Lotto
Goldmember
2,726 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 01, 2019 17:57 |  #2

if you are interested in the Xplor 400 Pro bundle with an C stand, there is nice "group buy" going right now..

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=OhTwH7BrRyQ (external link)

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 03, 2019 01:19 |  #3

Thanks for the link.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 03, 2019 08:48 |  #4

I think the term "Pro" is irrelevant when it comes to naming gear, most of the professional photographers don't use that kind of equipment.

First, you didn't tells us what you shoot just that the gear would be used indoors and out as rim lights. I make my living shooting and to be honest, I haven't bought many new pieces in years. There are plenty of quality lighting in the classified section and can be had for much less than new. Brands like Godax seems to be decent but repairs, I understand is nonexistent. What is your budget, what will you use it for and how many watt seconds do you think you'll need? As I've always heard, you get what you pay for.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 09, 2019 00:06 |  #5

Sorry for late reply. I usually shoot sweet 16 events and the occasion birthday, baptism, small events. I did my first wedding two weeks ago. For the sweet 16 I always use backdrop and have Speedotron brown line with umbrellas. For the smaller events, unless requested I don't use backdrop. For outdoor I use umbrella with speedlite or just natural light depending. I am interested in portrait photography as well as baby/maternity photography (father to be, which is why I am intersted, lol). The speedlite (when too hot, does take a bit longer to cycle) I have, it drains the batteries quickly and rarely go past 1/2 power or 1/4 power. I use energizer batteries (12) and eneloop batteries (8) rechargeable.

Perhaps you are right and probably just buying into the whole equipment craze as that is mostly I see on many youtube videos I look at for tutorials. Well not all of course, but the ones I look at do mention them. Probably don't give much credit to myself but do consider myself an amateur. I don't do this for a living but mostly as side gigs.

Due to lack of experience/practice, makes me think I need "better" equipment to help me. One area I struggle is when trying to do portrait. I use softbox with speedlite on light stand. I have been interested in hss, perhaps if I knew how to properly use my equipment to achieve hss look (is this correct terminology?) when applicable, wouldn't have the "urge" to get equipment listed above. Again, due to lack of experience/practice, I feel "restricted". Plus don't have much "models" to work with. Offered free sessions to family and a few friends to get practice but no bites. I haven't tried TFP in a while as hace had models be too picky/demanding/unreli​able (who hasn't right), so somewhat trying to stay away but may be the only way to get practice though.

Do you mind if I ask what equipment you have?

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 09, 2019 09:16 |  #6

I understand the need to use speed lights when you're starting out but as you stated, they use batteries and they will overheat easily when fired quickly. My first kit was a used Speedotron Blackline which I owned for a year or two before moving on to the Profoto Acute line. I have owned Profoto Acute kits for quite awhile now and swear by them, they just keep working and are readily available at rental houses if you're traveling or need to supplement your kit for a job. As I said, I think that Godax units with battery capabilities may work for you and I always encourage people to buy clean used gear. I'd buy something with more power (600ws) than you need because you don't want to fire it at full power and expect it to work all day without an issue. Good luck to you.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

sponsored links

585 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading lighting equipment
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.