Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 04 Sep 2019 (Wednesday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black Bear

CDMOOSE
Cream of the Crop
9,935 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by CDMOOSE with reason 'Correction '.

Sep 04, 2019 14:30 |  #1

This Black Bear showed up on our property at 1 PM today. And just a few days ago, a 62-year-old woman was killed by one on an island in Ontario waters, just 4.5 miles from our house! That one was dispatched.
However, I still dusted off the .357 magnum while taking these full-frame photos from about 20 yards. And I had one hand on the door knob as well! It was a poor blueberry crop this year, so it was no doubt here looking for acorns.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Al
Canon 7D II, 5D III, 7D, 500mm/f4L II, 1.4X TC III, 24-70mm/f2.8L, 70-200/f4L IS

sponsored links
KT29
Goldmember
3,248 posts
Gallery: 213 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 04, 2019 17:32 |  #2

CDMOOSE wrote in post #18921675 (external link)
This Black Bear showed up on our property at 1 PM today. And just a few days ago, a 62-year-old woman was killed by one on an island in Ontario waters, just 4.5 miles from our house! That one was dispatched.
However, I still dusted off the .357 magnum while taking these full-frame photos from about 20 yards. And I had one hand on the door knob as well! It was a poor blueberry crop this year, so it was no doubt here looking for acorns.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by CDMOOSE in
./showthread.php?p=189​21675&i=i51846304
forum: Wildlife

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by CDMOOSE in
./showthread.php?p=189​21675&i=i177999854
forum: Wildlife

Nice black bear photo Al. They seem to only come to my place after dark.ߘ

Terry -- The Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but sometimes it's just better
to Replace it.

dm1215al
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Sep 04, 2019 18:01 |  #3

Nice shots, I don't think my 70-200mm lens would give me a safe working distance from a bear. :p

CDMOOSE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,935 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 05, 2019 07:40 |  #4

KT29 wrote in post #18921744 (external link)
Nice black bear photo Al. They seem to only come to my place after dark.ߘ

Thank you for commenting, Terry. I would agree that most encounters are after dark. I do think, though, that this time of year when they are trying to fatten up for winter that it's a 24-hour a day pursuit.

dm1215al wrote in post #18921755 (external link)
Nice shots, I don't think my 70-200mm lens would give me a safe working distance from a bear. :p

Thank you for commenting, as well. I appreciate it. Actually, I have a 70-200 that I would have grabbed first, but it wasn't on my other body at the time. I had real trouble trying to squeeze this bear into the frame at only 20 yards. I'm just glad I fit him in decently in a couple. The other thing I'll say about Black Bears is that they are darned hard to expose for; they are so blasted black that it throws everything off.

Al

Al
Canon 7D II, 5D III, 7D, 500mm/f4L II, 1.4X TC III, 24-70mm/f2.8L, 70-200/f4L IS

johnohio
879 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 05, 2019 22:07 |  #5

Both beautiful shots. I love taking photos of bears.

John

CDMOOSE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,935 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 06, 2019 07:34 |  #6

johnohio wrote in post #18922305 (external link)
Both beautiful shots. I love taking photos of bears.

John

Thank you for commenting, John. They really are magnificent animals and this one looked to be in great shape as well.

Al

Teton
176 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2019

Sep 06, 2019 11:44 |  #7

CDMOOSE wrote in post #18921965 (external link)
Thank you for commenting, Terry. I would agree that most encounters are after dark. I do think, though, that this time of year when they are trying to fatten up for winter that it's a 24-hour a day pursuit.

Thank you for commenting, as well. I appreciate it. Actually, I have a 70-200 that I would have grabbed first, but it wasn't on my other body at the time. I had real trouble trying to squeeze this bear into the frame at only 20 yards. I'm just glad I fit him in decently in a couple. The other thing I'll say about Black Bears is that they are darned hard to expose for; they are so blasted black that it throws everything off.

Al

Agree with your plight on the exposure for bears. I go to Yellowstone Park now and then, and have the same problem with bison pictures. Being a duffer, my only solution is to bracket a lot, shoot in Raw, and hope for the best.

CDMOOSE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,935 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 07, 2019 07:39 |  #8

Teton wrote in post #18922574 (external link)
Agree with your plight on the exposure for bears. I go to Yellowstone Park now and then, and have the same problem with bison pictures. Being a duffer, my only solution is to bracket a lot, shoot in Raw, and hope for the best.

Yes, and I also think that it's often difficult for the camera to grab a good focus on something with a lot of soft fur.

Al

sponsored links

768 views & 21 likes for this thread
Black Bear
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.