Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 10:05
Search threadPrev/next

-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

Jared5
250 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Sep 06, 2019 00:44 |  #5281

angelIV wrote in post #18922282 (external link)
sensor assembly failure, went on vacation suddenly not focusing screen. Having err 70/74.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by angelIV in
./showthread.php?p=189​22282&i=i115006744
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

-

Did Canon explain why/how this happened? I'm assuming it was covered under warranty.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,788 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 06, 2019 02:03 |  #5282

angelIV wrote in post #18922285 (external link)
learned my lesson, this time ill bring 2 bodies on a vacation, i missed out on all the beautiful landscapes in japan

oh wow sorry to hear..

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

angelIV
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 06, 2019 02:43 as a reply to  @ Jared5's post |  #5283

Yup it’s covered by the warranty, and no explanation I think I got a lemon lol when I got my r I had times of having black lines on my pic/screen took it to bestbuy the manager said since they can’t duplicate it they can’t exchange it assho..

Gear list: 7d, 50d, xti, EOS 66 film, Canon FTB,sigma 18-35 1.8 art len, EF 24-105L, 70-200f4. Manfrotto 190xpro, sirui g20x. BR metro.

Jared5
250 posts
Joined Aug 2016

Sep 06, 2019 07:13 |  #5284

angelIV wrote in post #18922374 (external link)
Yup it’s covered by the warranty, and no explanation I think I got a lemon lol when I got my r I had times of having black lines on my pic/screen took it to bestbuy the manager said since they can’t duplicate it they can’t exchange it assho..

-

Bummer, I got one of my bodies at Best Buy (my first one) but no problems yet. I have CPS so I'd probably go that route anyway but good to know that those guys will try to avoid the exchange.

EOS R (x2) | 5D Mk4 (x2) | 5D Mk3 | 5D Mk2 | 7D Mk2 | 7D (x2) | 80D | 50D (x2) | 40D | EOS M (x4) |
85mm f/1.8 (x2) | 50mm f/1.4 (x2) | 28mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/2.5 macro | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS
16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II (x2) | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS |

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,812 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 06, 2019 08:59 |  #5285

angelIV wrote in post #18922285 (external link)
learned my lesson, this time ill bring 2 bodies on a vacation, i missed out on all the beautiful landscapes in japan

That's horrible. I feel for you. Photography is one of the main draws of travel for me. I'm sure the experience was still amazing, but wish you could have captured it the way you wanted to.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,254 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2019 09:23 |  #5286

Canon rumors this morning- "Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?". Hope their information is wrong.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,812 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by randy98mtu.

Sep 06, 2019 09:48 |  #5287

I feel the same, Wayne. Your old 16-35 is still holding me down, but I'm getting tired of adapters. The 15-35 is giving me the itch. I've also considered swapping the 50L and 85L, but I think my current EF's with adapter are still smaller than the RF's, not to mention all the green it would take to make the switch. I've also dabbled in Sony, so I was just this morning toying with the idea of selling everything I have in Canon full frame and switching to an A7R4 with all native lenses. Then I think I should just sell all the full frame stuff and get a couple more lenses to round out my EF-M kit. As you said, blessed to be in a position to have this be what I'm thinking about - though my wife has had serious health issues all year, so perhaps all of the photography thoughts are just a healthy distraction for me at the moment. Lots of thought to "simplifying" our lives this year. Looks like the wife is finally on the mend, but this summer has taken years off my life...

Edit: Wayne changed his mind? lol

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 06, 2019 10:04 |  #5288

I decided to try the new RF 24-240. It's a compromise to use it instead of my L glass, but the prospect of taking just one lens that doesn't weigh much was too intriguing. It's definitely not as good as the Canon 70-200 and 24-105 combo I usually use, but so far so good. Here's one from yesterday with the R and the 24-240:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Butterflies/i-FdcC67g/0/41b451c5/M/tower%20hill%209%205%2019-1--M.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …05%2019-1--M.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

hyogen
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 06, 2019 13:52 |  #5289

One of my first tries with video. Handheld, 35mm IS on. I used 1/30" but Now I know I should have used double the frame rate.

Loving the colors out of this camera after 6 years with Nikon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After experiencing Canon colors really for the first time I know I would have saved easily a couple hundred hours or more of shooting 100 weddings of adjusting for skin tone, white balance, consistency, etc..

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=SwiP8uG-1uc (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

justinleeportland (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
EOS R, 24mm TS-E / RF 35mm 1.8 / RF 28-70 2.0 / EF 16-35 2.8 ii / EF 70-200 2.8 ii / Zhiyun Weebill S

lijoec
Goldmember
1,260 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2019 11:15 |  #5290

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48693961152_1ca89ef7b0_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2hbV​hbm  (external link) CD0A1851 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Gallery: 481 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2019 21:51 |  #5291

Asymmetrical symmetry... pretty clean for ISO 6400

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from LoneRider's gallery.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 08, 2019 00:29 |  #5292

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

xseven
91 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by xseven. (2 edits in all)

Sep 08, 2019 14:43 |  #5293

umphotography wrote in post #18912149 (external link)
Problem I see with the EOS R, and to some extent.....I see on a 5D4......and that I rarely see it anymore on a 1Dx2 and D5

And I will assume with Sonys Eye focus you wont have this problem as well

He aimed at the grooms face area. Camera jumped to highlight behind subject and the shot was OOF

This has beed a Canon Achilles heal for a few year. Its a combination of operator technique and setting up the camera to minimize this.

I have seen several instances of this with the R.....My guess is this camera can be set up better and his technique can be improved

Irregardless.....I see it more on the R files and I see it on another shooters files as well

Focus is going to highlight if not enough contrast is present. 1Dx2 and D5 have just about eliminated this for 95% of the time

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=189​12149&i=i83123055

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=189​12149&i=i239511586

My 5D IV is jumping to the background if there is more light there, my 6D II a bit less ... I was thinking that maybe with the mirrorless system they got it right ... it seems the problem is still present ...
Can other owners comment on how big this issue is? (especially on low light situations - church, restaurant etc)

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,812 posts
Gallery: 499 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 09, 2019 18:35 |  #5294

judyg wrote in post #18922528 (external link)
I decided to try the new RF 24-240. It's a compromise to use it instead of my L glass, but the prospect of taking just one lens that doesn't weigh much was too intriguing. It's definitely not as good as the Canon 70-200 and 24-105 combo I usually use, but so far so good. Here's one from yesterday with the R and the 24-240:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …05%2019-1--M.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

therobveiller wrote in post #18920602 (external link)
I have just got my RF24-240 lens today – yes, early I know :lol: Don't ask
I don’t have any useful shots to post just at the moment that are over or above the samples already floating around the web. And as it's just clouded over and started raining hard here it might be a while. However in the 3 hours I’ve had it, I can tell you the following things that may be of some use to people out there.

1) No surprise, it’s not top-notch L quality glass nor are the images from it ultra sharp. BUT, I have got far softer and more disappointing results from allegedly “quality” glass costing considerably more than this lens does. It IS however sharper than the EOS-M series equivalent super-zoom (EF-M 18-150), and I’ve always been pleased with that lens as a walk-around on my M50, but it ISN’T as sharp as the RF 24-105

2) The zoom is smooth and nice to use, as is the fly-by-wire focusing. Much better feel and more responsive than other electronic focusing Canon lenses I have in my arsenal. It DOES zoom in the "correct" direction for Canon

3) It’s nicely balanced and sits well in the hands on an R body

4) Some people complained in preview reviews of sample lenses that the focus and zoom are swapped in position compared to normal Canon glass. This is indeed true, but then so is my old favourite crop-body lens, the Canon EF-S 15-85. You just learn to get over it. It may be the way Canon is going as I believe (don’t shoot me if I’m wrong) that the upcoming RF 70-200 has the same “issue” i.e. zoom at the front, focus at the rear of the barrel

5) The (very useful) zoom lock button is in a different place to other lens locks, but is actually easily accessible by taking your index finger off the trigger button while still keeping your eye to the EVF when you realise you left it locked and want to zoom in. The change of placement is actually an improvement IMHO

6) It’s a tad soft at the extreme 240mm, but I’m pixel-peeping to the max and being picky. If you never print very large or crop to the extreme, then don’t sweat it

7) As a “take only one lens” walk-about lens, it’s ideal, and it’s what I bought it for. Would I want to use it on a paid shoot – maybe, but only time will tell

8) The current lens profile in Adobe ACR/Lightroom is not a patch on the one in Canon’s own DPP software, especially in respect of correcting the chromatic aberration – the Adobe profile fails big-time in this aspect. There is no specific profile in the current DxO Photolab 2 (v2.1.3), but it will be available in release 2.2.0 for the R (allegedly available later in September). DxO profiles are always streets ahead of the Adobe ones IMHO, but even DxO without a specific profile corrects the CA flawlessly right out of the box unlike ACR/LR that allegedly has a proper profile for the lens. Turn off the CA correction in ACR and you can see that it’s worse, but it’s still pretty appalling at doing its job even with a “proper” profile turned on. And yes I can use the eye dropper to get it right, but why should I have to when 2 other pieces of software do it properly first-time round without any tweaking. Edit: See images below

9) If you have the lens profile turned off in ACR/LR, the images have a very sharply defined and harsh vignette in the extreme corners at 24-26mm ish. DxO Photolab 2 shows this all the time as it (as of v2.1.3) doesn’t have a distortion profile yet. This harsh clipping can be seen in the sample RAW files available via one of the review websites too – it’s not just my lens copy. Something physical clearly clips the corners in the lens design as it’s not “normal” vignetting, but the sort you get with a physical obstruction such as a deep filter or wrong lens hood. Edit: See images below

10) On the subject of lens hoods, the 24-240 doesn’t come with one. It takes an EW-78F, but as I cannot source one of those until later this month, I have successfully tried the EW78E that fits my EF-S 15-85 lens. It doesn’t latch securely, but is better than nowt until I can get the correct hood. This is NOT the source of the clipping mentioned above before anyone say it – it clips even without filters or lens hood attached. Edit: As I have a cheap copy of the "wrong" lens hood, I was happy to try a small mod. If you look at the "thread" on the hood itself, there are two end-stops for want of a better term that stop the hood rotating too far. I trimmed those back by approx 0.5mm -1mm using a sharp craft knife and the hood latches and stays put very well now.

Edit: Added example re CA in different processing software to show how bad Adobe ACR/LR is even with a profile compared to both DxO Photolab 2 without any profile and DPP with full Canon profile. Also lens profile on/off in ACR showing the clipping at 24mm. Apologies for difference in exposure of DPP image - I don't use DPP much and couldn't easily match quickly - I have to rush out shortly.
The CA examples are 100% crops from the top-right of the other image. Taken from JPEG exports, so don't judge absolute sharpness from these!

Thank you for posting these. I just started a thread for the RF 24-240 in the Lens Sample Photo Archive section for it.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1509873

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

squashed
Goldmember
4,193 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 09, 2019 18:42 |  #5295

A very late fire season this year in the Sierra. Thankfully the fire was heading up the hill and not the other direction towards Big Pine California.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

1,153,144 views & 18,844 likes for this thread
-= Canon EOS R owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.