Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Aug 2019 (Saturday) 19:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

nonIS vs IS - considerations

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,747 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 19, 2019 17:31 |  #16

The only reasons, IMO, not to get IS is when you
A) only shoot on tripod
B) when the IS lens is definitely a lot worse IQ-wise than the non-IS lens
C) when budget is not available for the IS version

There also is the type of shooting involved. E.g.., shooting a lot of macro, I will use any lens for macro if it will work with that in mind, and in the case of the 70-200 F/4 L IS versions the non-IS is the better option as it is much sharper in very close focus ranges with or without extension tubes than the iS versions are, especially at the longer end.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, PhaseOne DF & P45+, SK 80 LS & 3 Mamiya primes, and an accessory plague

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mdvaden.

Aug 19, 2019 21:49 |  #17

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18912738 (external link)
There's no need to turn IS off when using a tripod. . Canon and other manufacturers took care of that problem years and years ago.

When I shoot the redwoods on tripod, IS degrades quality of photos from my Canon 5DS without question in comparison to a tripod shot with IS turned off.

I can't remember how many times I hike and drive down this park's trail or road, then zoom the image review on the screen and say "crap !! ... that's fuzzy". Then I see the IS was left on. So I drive or hike back a couple minutes and shoot the scene over again.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from mdvaden's gallery.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,825 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2019 23:35 |  #18

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18912738 (external link)
There's no need to turn IS off when using a tripod. . Canon and other manufacturers took care of that problem years and years ago.

There are still.some.popular.len​ses that require the IS to be turned off. I had real.issues with the 24-105 on the tripod because of IS

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,628 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 04, 2019 17:22 |  #19

Gregsiem wrote in post #18911871 (external link)
What are the considerations when determining whether to buy a nonIS or the IS version of a lens.

Take for example a 70-200 F4.
How do you decide whether the nonIS will be adequate vs spending the additional couple of hundred on a IS version?

In this case, usage as a all around/travel lens.

I have 70-200 f4. It is not around/travel lens. :) And it was never a problem to have less expensive L. It is still fantastic lens. I’d rather pay for any old L than for new non L with IS. Glass quality shows on images.
It is not a problem to use all rounder 24-70 at 1/100 during the day or add flash in the dark. IS is not giving more light to avoid motion blur of hands and faces. Only shutter speed and/or flash.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 10 months ago by Ah-keong.

Sep 04, 2019 21:53 |  #20

I switch off the IS by default when shooting and use it when

a) unable to use tripod
b) low light situations and have to use lower shutter timing values
c) panning

Have you considered the Tamron 35-150mm f/2,8-f/4 in place of the 70-200mm f/4 ?  :p

Canon RP | 7D2+grip | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2,8 VC G2 | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,606 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Joined Jan 2004
Post edited 10 months ago by joeseph.

Sep 05, 2019 03:09 |  #21

Ah-keong wrote in post #18921833 (external link)
b) low light situations and have to use lower shutter timing values

can you elaborate on why in this situation please? seems like the ideal situation to have IS turned on?

edit: please ignore - I should have read the post more carefully...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and an M5, along with a M6 destined for 720nm
TF posting: here :-)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,547 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 05, 2019 03:21 |  #22

joeseph wrote in post #18921898 (external link)
can you elaborate on why in this situation please? seems like the ideal situation to have IS turned on?

I think you missed the bit "...and use it when..."

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,606 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 05, 2019 04:36 |  #23

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18921900 (external link)
I think you missed the bit "...and use it when..."

ah yes, read the post properly I should... sorry! :oops:

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and an M5, along with a M6 destined for 720nm
TF posting: here :-)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,825 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 05, 2019 14:46 |  #24

Also keep in mind that IS versions of lenses are not the same lens as the non-IS versions. The canon f4IS is a total redesign with additional elements and groups over the non IS version. It's considerably sharper.

Gregsiem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,477 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 05, 2019 15:02 |  #25

Thanks to all for the responses to this thread.

I bought a IS version from a member here. Looking forward to taking delivery.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,593 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by Snydremark.

Sep 05, 2019 16:55 |  #26

ct1co2 wrote in post #18912103 (external link)
One of the key benefits of IS I appreciate for telephoto use is it settles down a wobbly viewfinder. If I am focused on a subject waiting for something to happen, I am mostly handheld, and I am unable to hold perfectly still. Although the shutter speed negates the need for IS many times, it helps me with framing, composition, and not getting dizzy looking through the viewfinder.

This is the real world benefit, to me, of IS; if I'm shooting, say, an airshow, it is much easier for me to acquire the incoming aircraft in the viewfinder and keep them there as I pan with them when IS is engaged. This also means I'm able to use slower shutter speeds to catch the jets than I would with a non-IS lens (1/400 to 1/800 is usually where I'll shoot) and also makes it a bit easier when I'm trying to slow things down to catch the prop planes without freezing them. Camera shake still hits the final image and I have to work to reduce that physically; but the framing and tracking is much simpler.

Also, whether primary usage will be from a tripod. For example, shooting the moon, I will start with IS on to frame and zoom in on the silly disk and then switch it off and give the setup a few seconds to settle, then do the actual shooting with IS disengaged, since the action of settling the IS lens group can actually cause motion blur in this type of application.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 10 months ago by RDKirk. (2 edits in all)

Sep 05, 2019 23:21 |  #27

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18912224 (external link)
If you are shooting at slower shutter speeds with longer lenses OIS is great. With the 70-200 range if you are going to have a shutter faster than 1/250 camera shake won’t really matter, negating the need for OIS. Lens design is a different story if the OIS version is a better optic that might sway your mind. Can’t hurt to have it

And yes the GFX100 IBIS is crazy good.

patrick j wrote in post #18912718 (external link)
If you do any hand holding of your shots versus always using a tripod, then I'd go IS. I have the 70-200, if I happen to have turned off the IS because I was using a tripod and then pick the camera and start shooting without flipping the IS back on, it is immediately noticeable because of how unsteady the image looks in the view finder. Someone said something about using a fast shutter speed and it negates the need for a tripod, but I don't believe that's always the case. Maybe a sort of rule of thumb that works much (or some) of the time, but there are going to times when you are going to twitch or sway and still have a image that's less sharp than you'd like.

That old thumb rule of setting the shutter speed to the focal length of the lens was developed back when a 35mm frame was not going to be enlarged more than 10x or so. We seldom enlarged the 24x36mm frame more than 8x10 or 11x14. And even that presumed a person was very good at holding the lens steady and not drinking coffee.

That rule might still hold for photographers who don't intend to go beyond Instagram on a cell phone. But for photographers who intend to enlarge for the wall, there is no such thing as being too steady. IS, tripod, beanbag on an automobile hood, leaning on a tree--whatever you can do, do it.

But don't depend on that old thumb rule.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 10 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Sep 06, 2019 08:41 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #28

Like I said it can’t hurt to have OIS, as someone who regularly prints in meters I know what what there. It’s a great rule to follow as a good starting point regardless of where it’s foundation is. Luckily I’m quite steady on camera (despite all the coffee) so perhaps I don’t suffer the effect as others might, good technique maybe. I shot lots of images without OIS and printed up much larger than 10x8 inches, plenty sharp. To me OIS makes a lot of sense in longer lenses but not so much in wider ones. Also I believe I wrote 'shutter speed faster then1/250' in reference to 70-200mm on 135mm.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Sep 09, 2019 01:59 |  #29

joeseph wrote in post #18921898 (external link)

edit: please ignore - I should have read the post more carefully...

no worries.  :p

Canon RP | 7D2+grip | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2,8 VC G2 | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

goalerjones
903 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Joined May 2018

Sep 09, 2019 03:08 |  #30

My 1st L lens was the 70-200 f2.8 Mark 1 non-IS version, and I loved using it, however, in events and other low-light places I had to drag the tripod around with me. I now have the mark III IS version and get to leave the tripod in the car. I waited though, to make sure I really needed to upgrade.

sponsored links

1,718 views & 28 likes for this thread
nonIS vs IS - considerations
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.