Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2019 (Thursday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos

JayLT
148 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 1 month ago by JayLT.

Sep 16, 2019 16:09 as a reply to  @ post 18927982 |  #76

Thanks!

Sorry, let me see if I can expand on it. I had to brighten up imaged in LightRoom by about 1 full stop, unless I raised my flash power to +2 (my flash will go to +3 at 1/3 increments) those numbers are using the ETTL settings, going manual I can do the standard 1/8, 1/4, etc... When using my 7DMKII with the same camera settings I was usually at 0 or -1/3 on flash power. That shot was in a controlled situation as well, I found the grasshopper outside and brought it in, put it on some cut flowers and had two external lights to help the flash, which is my usual setup for indoor shots, and one that I've used hundreds of times with the 7D2. Now, I'm still going through all the settings...maybe there's something I've missed, or maybe it was just this specific case, as I've only shot with the 90D once at this point. I'm waiting to find a jumping spider or two to test again, as they are my normal subjects for this stuff.

Here are a couple shots with all the same equipment but using the 7D2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr stream: https://flic.kr/ps/se6​hB (external link)
Currently using Canon 90D and 5Ds

sponsored links
huntersdad
Goldmember
4,652 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 16, 2019 16:12 |  #77

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18927965 (external link)
Did you test this in ONE SHOT in VF and did you get the 10 fps then?

I did not. Never shoot in One Shot. LV in Servo was way faster fps. I hit 10.5-11.

Sharlin wrote in post #18927977 (external link)
That's definitely a mystery then. I don't know what to think. As another data point, Imaging Resource people got exactly 10 fps (external link) in what they claimed was AI SERVO mode, but they were likely shooting a stationary subject... I got my own hands on a 90D earlier today, in a local brick&mortar store, and in Live View SERVO AF was definitely slower than ONE SHOT, but unfortunately I didn't think to test OVF AI SERVO vs ONE SHOT shooting speed very carefully. Don't know what to think.

I don't know. Maybe I got one that was funky. I definitely didn't get more than 7 in OVF, but got more than 10 in LV with both in Servo. My thoughts on it originally got peaked when I found a chart last night that laid out the frame rate in OVF and LV versus the different settings. I remember it said the same thing I was getting. Unfortunately, I can't put my hands on it. I'd post the images if I had erased the card already.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 16, 2019 16:14 |  #78

JayLT wrote in post #18927969 (external link)
Amazon dropped a 90D off to me this weekend. Not too much time to play with it yet, but I did grab a couple quick macro shots (single not stacked). One thing I noticed was that it was about 1-stop underexposed when compared to the same settings normally used on my old 7DMKII. I needed to up my flash power to about +2, whereas the 7D2 was usually at 0 or -1/3 on average.

As for the discussion on FPS using OVF. I noticed it was a bit slow as well when testing it, but I was able to get it to roughly 10 FPS using the OVF and AI Servo by adjusting some of the custom AF settings in the menu. The AF settings in servo were slowing it down a bit, moving one of the sliders (don't remember which one right now...camera is at home) to shot priority rather than focus priority really brought the FPS up.

Anyway, here's one of the pics from yesterday. This was using the Canon 100 mm f/2.8L macro lens, ISO 200, f/16, 1/200th sec
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by JayLT in
./showthread.php?p=189​27969&i=i99455833
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Hi Jay, and welcome.
One thing I will say is that every EOS camera I have owned seem to have had it's own metering idiosyncrasies. No two meter alike. (at least from model to model) My 1D2 ALWAYS had to have +2/3 or more on Auto modes to come close to a good exposure, my older 10D, not the case. The best one for just set it to centered is the 5D4. The 5D3 was good too, but not as good. Anyway, just what I have noticed with Canon DSLR over the years.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 16, 2019 16:15 |  #79

Archibald wrote in post #18927982 (external link)
Welcome to POTN. That is a handsome grasshopper! Nice pic.

I don't understand your flash lingo. I understand the 1-stop part but not +2 and so on. My flash shows full power, 1/2, 1/4, and so on with 1/3 stops in between. I'm assuming you were shooting through a diffuser. If the 90D needs more flash power, that is an issue, because that lengthens the flash burst and can lead to motion blur (if close to full power).

I'm guessing FEC (flash expsosure compensation) set in camera. Not on the flash.

EDIT< Wow, a whole other page was posted while I was replying!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,077 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 16, 2019 16:27 |  #80

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18928001 (external link)
I'm guessing FEC (flash expsosure compensation) set in camera. Not on the flash.

EDIT< Wow, a whole other page was posted while I was replying!

Yeah, makes sense now. I'd forgotten about those settings. I practically always shoot manual flash.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,077 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 16, 2019 16:28 |  #81

JayLT wrote in post #18927995 (external link)
Thanks!

Sorry, let me see if I can expand on it. I had to brighten up imaged in LightRoom by about 1 full stop, unless I raised my flash power to +2 (my flash will go to +3 at 1/3 increments) those numbers are using the ETTL settings, going manual I can do the standard 1/8, 1/4, etc... When using my 7DMKII with the same camera settings I was usually at 0 or -1/3 on flash power. That shot was in a controlled situation as well, I found the grasshopper outside and brought it in, put it on some cut flowers and had two external lights to help the flash, which is my usual setup for indoor shots, and one that I've used hundreds of times with the 7D2. Now, I'm still going through all the settings...maybe there's something I've missed, or maybe it was just this specific case, as I've only shot with the 90D once at this point. I'm waiting to find a jumping spider or two to test again, as they are my normal subjects for this stuff.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​27995&i=i221546303

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​27995&i=i163610896

Real nice jumpers!

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,405 posts
Gallery: 317 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 16, 2019 16:39 |  #82

huntersdad wrote in post #18927998 (external link)
Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18927965 (external link)
Did you test this in ONE SHOT in VF and did you get the 10 fps then?

I did not. Never shoot in One Shot. LV in Servo was way faster fps. I hit 10.5-11.

I was just wondering, because that would be the exact opposite then of what the manual says.

But even if you hadn't timed it, the difference between 7 or 10 fps is very noticeable. I had that with a 1D3, years ago. I believe it turned out something in the settings, if memory serves me right.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

JayLT
148 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Sep 16, 2019 16:57 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #83

Thanks!

I agree, very different cameras and metering systems in play here. That along with a bit of a learning curve of a new camera. From what I can see in my short time with it though, is that the images are very promising. The detail you can get is really impressive. I have a 5Ds coming in later this week, I'll be curious to see how it compares in this respect as well.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 16, 2019 17:03 |  #84

huntersdad wrote in post #18927993 (external link)
Best I could manage - 3 second burst started on a timer with my iPhone. Tried to hit and end both buttons at the same time. Did it 3 times, got the same average each time.

You need to set it as a stop watch. Start the stop watch and then fire off ten frames. Then compare the times of the first and last frames.

.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

Geordie ­ Amanda
365 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 16, 2019 17:54 |  #85

Could you not just record the bust rate on a phone, import it into a video editing program and by expanding the timeline just count the number of pulses in 1 second etc?

Call me Amanda please :)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,160 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 16, 2019 17:57 |  #86

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #18928046 (external link)
Could you not just record the bust rate on a phone, import it into a video editing program and by expanding the timeline just count the number of pulses in 1 second etc?

seems like way too much work...if you just set your phone on a stop watch, and take pictures of your phone you can count how many shots in a second

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,652 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 16, 2019 18:30 |  #87

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #18928046 (external link)

I know what 10fps sounds like and that wasn’t it. LV was hitting 10 frames.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

cdmazoff
77 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2019

Sep 16, 2019 19:08 |  #88

JayLT wrote in post #18927995 (external link)
Thanks!

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​27995&i=i221546303

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​27995&i=i163610896

WOWZER on the spydees!!!!

"His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances
like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free" (Anon)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/cdmazoff/ (external link)

JayLT
148 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Sep 16, 2019 19:19 as a reply to  @ cdmazoff's post |  #89

Thanks! Jumping spiders make great subjects, I've taken waaaay too many pictures of them! :-P

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 17, 2019 08:58 |  #90

The only time I ever actually tested a cameras' burst rate was back when I first got the 1DII

The method I used was an analog clock with a second hand, and I took photos of that.
Seemed a simple and hard to disqualify way of testing. ie: 10 pictures are worth 10,000 words!

In the case of the 1DII it was 8.5 :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

59,835 views & 1,915 likes for this thread
-= 90D owners unite! Discuss and Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.