Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 27 Sep 2019 (Friday) 19:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Goodbye Nikon; Thanks for Nothing

Scottboarding
692 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined May 2016

Sep 27, 2019 19:46 |  #1

Long story short: Nikon sells me a faulty camera, fights tooth-and-nail to get out of repairing it for free, charges me $316 to repair it.

I bought a refurbished Nikon D750 back in March form BHPhotoVideo. I noticed an issue with it recently on my vacation and realized this issue has been present the entire time I've had it, I just didn't notice. I have an image from the first time I shot with the camera that shows this issue. Turns out there have been three separate recalls for this exact issue, but my serial number was not one of the ones recalled. I contacted them asking if they could do the repair free of charge considering they have repaired thousands of them already for this exact issue free of charge. They told me that because my serial number wasn't affected, I would have to pay.

I called their support team and asked for a manager to talk to see if I could get somewhere with them. After a conversation they gave me a prepaid label for the repair center and told me to send them the repair invoice number once it arrives and they would see what they could do. Great! Finally getting somewhere.

The camera arrives and I sent the manager the number. Then for the past three weeks I have been arguing back and forth about this. They would give me something along the lines of "well this photo is shot with a Zeiss lens, so we can't do anything about it". So I sent them an image taken with a Nikon lens that showed the same issue. They responded with "the JPEG is doesn't have enough Metadata for us" so I sent three .NEF files all shot with Nikon lenses showing the issue. They responded "we don't see any issues" so I sent crops that clearly show the issue to which they respond "the image is too low quality". They insisted that there hasn't been any service advisories for this despite they fact that their own website says it and there are countless articles online about it. Every time I sent something they made an excuse, and then when I countered that, they came up with a new excuse.

So I just authorized a payment of $316 for a camera that has a manufacturing defect that has been widely reported and repaired for free thousands of times. This was an issue right out of the box but because I was a few days late on the 6 month warranty, I'm screwed. Over the past three weeks they fought as hard as they could to get out of repairing it free of charge, and finally they won.

Nikon puts in far more effort to get out of liability than they do taking care of their customers. If anyone's considering switching to the Nikon system; don't. They don't care about you. With that being said, I'll have a classified post of all my Nikon gear up soon. See ya there :lol:

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links
SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2019 06:02 |  #2

I'm sorry you've been thrown such a bad card in this.

After reading your post, I'm very curious to learn what the known issue is.
I've stayed with Canon, so I'm not much familiar with the Nikon universe.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Σ10-20|Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,550 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2019 07:32 |  #3

Well that's rather disturbing. I'm assuming that this is for the shutter recall? I would think that a camera that shows the same problem even if out of the range of serial numbers already identified would at least be looked at. It would be interesting to see one of the images. A friend of mine had the issue and from what I say, it was really noticeable. They fixed his without any drama.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 28, 2019 13:28 |  #4

SkedAddled wrote in post #18934585 (external link)
I'm sorry you've been thrown such a bad card in this.

After reading your post, I'm very curious to learn what the known issue is.
I've stayed with Canon, so I'm not much familiar with the Nikon universe.

My understanding is that there were two separate issues with the camera. One with the AF module that caused a very noticeable flare in the image, and another one where the shutter was faulty causing shading in the image (which is what I had).

gjl711 wrote in post #18934610 (external link)
Well that's rather disturbing. I'm assuming that this is for the shutter recall? I would think that a camera that shows the same problem even if out of the range of serial numbers already identified would at least be looked at. It would be interesting to see one of the images. A friend of mine had the issue and from what I say, it was really noticeable. They fixed his without any drama.

Here's an image showing the issue:

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48668402541_c8eb2b8619_z.jpg
There banding is always on the left side of them frame when shot vertical. It's weird because it's not a normal gradient; it lightens back up on each side. If you read any of the articles about the second and third recalls for the camera, they describe this exact issue.

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2019

Sep 28, 2019 13:55 |  #5

I try to avoid refurbish if I can however the laptop I am writing this from was refurbished and it has worked flawlessly for years.
It would seem B&H should have vetted this camera before selling it to you.

I purchased a Nikon d800e new years ago and have had little trouble. A few bugs, a few releases, but in general consistent high quality imaging.

Getting into the specifics of your particular problem it looks like the calibration (LUT table) of each pixel within the sensor has been compromised. It is not uncommon to see a range of values from each pixel given the same reference light source. A known reference source can be used to calibrate the sensor pixel matrix (compute the offset to correct +- (same response for all pixels)) and this table of calibration constants is used to compute the final image.

Joe Thibodeau - Amateur Photographer

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 28, 2019 13:59 |  #6

Joe Thibodeau wrote in post #18934758 (external link)
I try to avoid refurbish if I can however the laptop I am writing this from was refurbished and it has worked flawlessly for years.
It would seem B&H should have vetted this camera before selling it to you.

I purchased a Nikon d800e new years ago and have had little trouble. A few bugs, a few releases, but in general consistent high quality imaging.

Getting into the specifics of your particular problem it looks like the calibration (LUT table) of each pixel within the sensor has been compromised. It is not uncommon to see a range of values from each pixel given the same reference light source. A known reference source can be used to calibrate the sensor pixel matrix (compute the offset to correct +- (same response for all pixels)) and this table of calibration constants is used to compute the final image.

Funny enough I bought it refurbished because I knew there were issues with the D750 on occasion and I wanted to make sure if there was an issue I would be able to get it repaired easily. The issue only happens when the shutter speed is above 1/2500th or higher. Shot at anything below that and there isn't any issue so it's got to be something with the shutter.

TustinMike
figment of our collective imaginations
3,958 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 28, 2019 14:02 |  #7

Scottboarding wrote in post #18934760 (external link)
Funny enough I bought it refurbished because I knew there were issues with the D750 on occasion and I wanted to make sure if there was an issue I would be able to get it repaired easily. The issue only happens when the shutter speed is above 1/2500th or higher. Shot at anything below that and there isn't any issue so it's got to be something with the shutter.

Sorry to hear about your problems with this.

All New Year, All New Sig !

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,094 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Sep 28, 2019 16:57 |  #8

Scottboarding wrote in post #18934747 (external link)
My understanding is that there were two separate issues with the camera. One with the AF module that caused a very noticeable flare in the image, and another one where the shutter was faulty causing shading in the image (which is what I had).

Here's an image showing the issue:
QUOTED IMAGE
There banding is always on the left side of them frame when shot vertical. It's weird because it's not a normal gradient; it lightens back up on each side. If you read any of the articles about the second and third recalls for the camera, they describe this exact issue.

The long direction of the effect would otherwise point to possible shutter blade motion issues as they move across the short dimension of the frame, although more typically there is a 'harder edge' more commonly noted when there is a shutter failure. This might be the case of the width of the shutter slit varying as it moves across the film, because one curtain is not maintaining the horizontal slit width but going a bit askew. Since the slit is narrower at fastest speeds (>1/2500), any skew in one curtain would have a greater degree of effect on the exposure, compared to 1/500.
Clearly the effect can be seen, which makes Nikon playing the 'we no see no steenkin defect' position quite suspicious.

"The issue involves a manufacturing defect on the camera’s shutter, the physical piece that opens and closes to take a picture. In the affected models, the defect causes the shutter to block or shadow some of the photo, “sometimes resulting in shading a portion of the image,” Nikon says.

Cameras manufactured within that time frame can be sent to Nikon for free inspection and repair as part of the recall. Nikon D750 owners need to locate their camera’s serial number on the bottom of the body and type it into Nikon’s website to see if the number is included within the recall.

The recall was initially announced in July 2015, with additional models added to the recall in February 2016."

https://www.digitaltre​nds.com …750-recall-updated-again/ (external link)

If you shot a Landscape orientation shot and post that, we can then see of the effect is darker/lighter at the beginning of shutter travel or at the end of shutter travel.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 3 months ago by Joe Thibodeau.

Sep 28, 2019 18:48 |  #9

Scottboarding wrote in post #18934760 (external link)

I rarely if ever shoot that high of a shutter speed ever and you are right, there is a issue with shutter timing and sensor data acquisition. But that is a fast shutter speed. If it's a issue and you need a wide open fast lens in bright light use a ND filter. You can get them in 1-10 stop increments or a variable. Solves that problem. You really want enough light to hit the sensor because it improves image quality.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,550 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2019 19:30 |  #10

Joe Thibodeau wrote in post #18934917 (external link)
I rarely if ever shoot that high of a shutter speed ever and you are right, there is a issue with shutter timing and sensor data acquisition. But that is a fast shutter speed. If it's a issue and you need a wide open fast lens in bright light use a ND filter. You can get them in 1-10 stop increments or a variable. Solves that problem. You really want enough light to hit the sensor because it improves image quality.

That is not acceptable. If the camera supports 1/2500 or 1/8000, it better work at those speeds without having to work around anything.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Sep 28, 2019 20:25 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #11

And what if you are stuck in the field with a camera that is misbehaving? Do you send it back from the field and go without? Or do you improvise? It is very handy to have choices and the ND is useful for long exposures with long shutter speeds. So it may be in the bag already. I like to give my sensor plenty of light. The faster the shutter speed the less accurate the exposure is. As long as the exposure is consistent at a given shutter speed compensation can make up for any errors.

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 28, 2019 20:56 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #18934863 (external link)
Clearly the effect can be seen, which makes Nikon playing the 'we no see no steenkin defect' position quite suspicious.

"The issue involves a manufacturing defect on the camera’s shutter, the physical piece that opens and closes to take a picture. In the affected models, the defect causes the shutter to block or shadow some of the photo, “sometimes resulting in shading a portion of the image,” Nikon says.

Cameras manufactured within that time frame can be sent to Nikon for free inspection and repair as part of the recall. Nikon D750 owners need to locate their camera’s serial number on the bottom of the body and type it into Nikon’s website to see if the number is included within the recall.

The recall was initially announced in July 2015, with additional models added to the recall in February 2016."

https://www.digitaltre​nds.com …750-recall-updated-again/ (external link)

If you shot a Landscape orientation shot and post that, we can then see of the effect is darker/lighter at the beginning of shutter travel or at the end of shutter travel.

Exactly my point. The issue was recalled and they repaired all cameras for free even if it was out of warranty. My serial number doesn't show up on that list so they refused to do it for free, then started coming up with ridiculous excuses. Shot horizontally, the banding is in the top part of the frame, though I don't know if that helps or explains anything.

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
692 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 28, 2019 21:03 |  #13

Joe Thibodeau wrote in post #18934917 (external link)

ND filters are great, but if I'm going to spend over a thousand dollars on a camera, I want it to work correctly. If the cameras top shutter speed was 1/2000th like my Nikon F3, then I knew that going into it. But when a camera can shoot at faster shutter speeds but has an issue, it's frustrating and even worse when the company will not admit to it.

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Joined Sep 2019

Sep 28, 2019 21:27 as a reply to  @ Scottboarding's post |  #14

That goes without saying. My Nikon has never failed but it has locked up a few times in the past. I tend to go with high end gear. It's more expensive but often less trouble.

jcothron
Goldmember
3,737 posts
Gallery: 395 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2019 21:38 |  #15

Joe Thibodeau wrote in post #18935014 (external link)
That goes without saying. My Nikon has never failed but it has locked up a few times in the past. I tend to go with high end gear. It's more expensive but often less trouble.

You wouldn’t consider a D750 high end? It may not be recent high end but it was definitely high end when introduced.

If this body was refurbed it should have operated within acceptable limits. If it had the same issue previously acknowledged by Nikon they should have fixed it no questions asked.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,285 views & 26 likes for this thread
Goodbye Nikon; Thanks for Nothing
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.