Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 27 Sep 2019 (Friday) 19:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Goodbye Nikon; Thanks for Nothing

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 3 months ago by Joe Thibodeau.

Sep 28, 2019 21:57 as a reply to  @ post 18935019 |  #16

Get the best you can afford. I always run with the flagship for whatever brand I am shooting. The d800e has been a spectacular camera.

Joe Thibodeau - Amateur Photographer

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 28, 2019 22:00 |  #17

I'm sorry to hear about this. I don't want to turn this into a Nikon bashing thread because quite frankly I like Nikon and they make some excellent products but in my neck of the woods service is definitely an issue. I used to get free Nikon gear from a good friend who was supplied with new gear almost every year so I shot both Canon and Nikon till after the D750 was released. Here in Canada there is one central service centre for Canon (there was two at the time) but in the case of Nikon there is a walk-in service centre in my home city. Every time I went to Nikon it was a story and it often involved service pointing the finger at the client. The last time I went for service at Nikon one of the guys at the counter tried to tell my my problem was user error. I don't think he was even aware that the D750 had been recalled. If it wasn't for Nikon's service I probably wouldn't be so heavily invested in Canon today. Canon's service isn't always perfect and I did have to contest their findings quite adamantly once but repairs are typically very professional and service is hassle-free which represents a lot of added value for me.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined May 2016

Sep 28, 2019 22:06 |  #18

Trvlr323 wrote in post #18935027 (external link)
Every time I went to Nikon it was a story and it often involved service pointing the finger at the client. The last time I went for service at Nikon one of the guys at the counter tried to tell my my problem was user error.

Every time I pointed something out they would blame it on something else. They told me it was an issue with my Zeiss and Tamron lenses, and then when I showed them an example taken with a Nikon lens, they claimed they didn't see any issue at all. It's really blowing my mind how hard they worked to get out of any fault on their part. I've okayed the payment so we'll see what happens. I have no idea how long it'll take to get repaired, and hopefully it is actually repaired for good.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 28, 2019 22:07 |  #19

Joe Thibodeau wrote in post #18935026 (external link)
Get the best you can afford. I always run with the flagship for whatever brand I am shooting. The d800e has been a spectacular camera.

The refurbished D750 was the best I could afford. I also bought it refurbished because I couldn't afford to purchase it brand-new. Factoring in the repair I just paid for I have now spent more money on it than if I had just bought it new to begin with.

jcothron
Goldmember
3,716 posts
Gallery: 395 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2019 22:24 |  #20

Joe Thibodeau wrote in post #18935026 (external link)

I’ve never owned the Canon flagship, but I did start with the 5D, then the mk2, and now the Mk4. I would consider flagship the 1 series particularly when they made the 1ds models. I’m not as familiar with Nikon but I suspect that would be comparable to the d5 and its predecessors.

On this topic though I just don’t feel
Like the spend more have less problems logic works out. In fact it doesn’t work for most things in my experience (autos for instance).

In this case there appears to be a pretty clear and well documented manufacturing defect on a model that (if not the top) would be very near the top of Nikons model range at the time (that part should REALLY be irrelevant). It’s pretty simple when you get to the bottom line...

Nikon should have stood by their product and they didn’t.

What anyone infers from that fact is for their own benefit but based on what has been shown here the underlying fact remains.

Before this goes there, I’m not a canon, Nikon, Sony, or Fuji lover or hater. I started with Canon and still shoot Canon. Tried Fuji but it wasn’t for me. Considered Sony and may still but not in a hurry right now. IF this situation were Canon I would say the same thing.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,350 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 28, 2019 22:28 |  #21

Joe Thibodeau wrote in post #18935037 (external link)
We have discussed this. You have made this point 3 times now. Learn from it.

He has learned from it. . He made it clear that he is leaving Nikon.

He never did anything wrong with exposure, as 1/2500 sometimes is the right exposure that allows plenty of light for the exposure.

He didn't do anything wrong when he selected the model of camera that he bought. . He bought the best he could afford from a reputable source.

There is no need to criticize or second-guess anything that the OP did. . Everything he did makes complete sense. . The fault lies entirely with Nikon's Customer Service and the way they treated him.

The OP didn't start this thread because he wanted advice. . Nor does it appear that he needs any. . It is a simple rant, along with a warning so that others can know what to expect from Nikon CS.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 3 months ago by Joe Thibodeau.

Sep 28, 2019 23:17 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #22

I can't speak for why Nikon made the choice they did. I can tell you if I knew in advance a camera had a known defect I would not buy it even if it was a refurbished item. He had the knowledge before he made his purchase. He put all his chips on an expectation Nikon did not deliver to him. What are the odds of that happening with any manufacturer? The gripe is over $300. That may be a lot in this case but I have spent that much on a box of film. And fogged it in a darkroom not dark enough. Like most people I vote with my feet. I do my research up front. I wait until camera systems have stabilized before making a purchase. I do buy used but I don't buy refurbished. I know very little about Nikon cameras. I have owned exactly one: the d800e. I had a 5DII which was decent and the 5D which I think is one of the best digital cameras ever made. It sucks taking a loss but I am seriously used to it. I have made and lost money on cameras and lenses over the years.

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 29, 2019 00:47 |  #23

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18935046 (external link)
The OP didn't start this thread because he wanted advice. . Nor does it appear that he needs any. . It is a simple rant, along with a warning so that others can know what to expect from Nikon CS.

That's basically it. Mixture of a rant and a warning. The D750 produces wonderful images (below 1/2500), but they don't stand behind their products. If someone sees this and gets to avoid what I went through, fantastic.

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 3 months ago by Joe Thibodeau. (3 edits in all)

Sep 29, 2019 09:06 |  #24

Scottboarding wrote in post #18935029 (external link)
Every time I pointed something out they would blame it on something else. They told me it was an issue with my Zeiss and Tamron lenses, and then when I showed them an example taken with a Nikon lens, they claimed they didn't see any issue at all. It's really blowing my mind how hard they worked to get out of any fault on their part. I've okayed the payment so we'll see what happens. I have no idea how long it'll take to get repaired, and hopefully it is actually repaired for good.

I hope it works out for you. It sucks having to pony up cash on something that should have worked out of the box. And getting the run around from the manufacturer. I vote with my feet but in the land of photography there are only so many players and it's not cheap to switch brands mid stream.

Just curious which Zeiss and Tameron lenses you are using.
Are they native F mount?

You are entitled to submit a complaint and a request for reimbursement to higher ups at Nikon.
Check with B&H for additional contact information.
I would also contact the consumer protection bureau here in America.

Refurbished means brought back to original working/corrected condition.
It doesn't mean return to original failed condition.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 29, 2019 12:42 |  #25

Putting emotions aside, just get it repaired, hopefully the money you saved on buying refurb still makes this camera monetatily acceptible.
There really isnt any point at switching systems now and losing more money by selling current gear to then buy it all back from a different camera company.
Now i wish it worked out better for you but the situation is what is now. Had you have dealt with b&h earlier within warranty this situation could have been handled better for you. Again im sure you know this and its unfortunate no matter how you look at it.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,068 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Sep 29, 2019 17:33 |  #26

Scottboarding wrote in post #18934996 (external link)
Exactly my point. The issue was recalled and they repaired all cameras for free even if it was out of warranty. My serial number doesn't show up on that list so they refused to do it for free, then started coming up with ridiculous excuses. Shot horizontally, the banding is in the top part of the frame, though I don't know if that helps or explains anything.

Are you stating that the darker (less exposure) part of the image is placed at the top part of the photo?
Since the shutter blade opening travels from top of camera to bottom, the slit width is narrower at the end of travel across the frame than at the beginning of travel across the frame...possible indication of LEADING CURTAIN binding a bit as it moved near the end of exposure, causing the slit to narrow at the end of its travel.

You may be irritated at Nikon for refusing to fix a camera outside of the serial number range of the affected population, but consider that to your Nikon distributor it represents repair cost which is NOT reimbursed by Nikon factory. So a bean counter mentality executive might be enforcing a move for greater economy in light of Nikon struggling in the marketplace, and it his opinion that prevails over the wiser 'we need to keep our customers happy and returning to buy more' customer focused executive! Harsh reality, although I do feel your pain. I also know that some past out-of-warranty repairs covered by the distributor have kept me a loyal BMW customer for decades now; it sounds as if some business wisdom needs to be imparted to your Nikon distributor, so they don't lose more customers at an even faster rate than is happening already!

Consider also the fact that shutters simply fail, some more rapidly and some less rapidly among any population of product, even those which do not have an inherent flaw in them. So in those cases, folks do end up having to pay for shutter replacement at 50k actuations although the shutter might have a '150k lifetime'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Scottboarding
THREAD ­ STARTER
689 posts
Joined May 2016

Sep 30, 2019 20:25 |  #27

Wilt wrote in post #18935447 (external link)
Are you stating that the darker (less exposure) part of the image is placed at the top part of the photo?
Since the shutter blade opening travels from top of camera to bottom, the slit width is narrower at the end of travel across the frame than at the beginning of travel across the frame...possible indication of LEADING CURTAIN binding a bit as it moved near the end of exposure, causing the slit to narrow at the end of its travel

Consider also the fact that shutters simply fail, some more rapidly and some less rapidly among any population of product, even those which do not have an inherent flaw in them. So in those cases, folks do end up having to pay for shutter replacement at 50k actuations although the shutter might have a '150k lifetime'

The dark part of the frame would be at the top when shot horizontally. As for the shutter replacement, it was under 10K which is such a bummer. Had I had to pay for the shutter replacement at 50K or more it wouldn't feel like as much of a gut punch.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,294 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 01, 2019 02:29 |  #28

Wilt wrote in post #18935447 (external link)
possible indication of LEADING CURTAIN binding a bit as it moved near the end of exposure, causing the slit to narrow at the end of its travel.

I've got a theory that curtain binding is the cause of leaf rivet failure - any thoughts?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,546 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 01, 2019 07:47 |  #29

joeseph wrote in post #18936273 (external link)
I've got a theory that curtain binding is the cause of leaf rivet failure - any thoughts?

I think that's possible, or it could be something simpler like a hair that has become lodged between the leafs causing them to distort a bit and bind. Or it could be a small burr or dent on one of the leaves causing it to bind. There are so many things it can be. I've posted THIS (external link) link before but when you see the process in slow-mo, it's quite violent.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

nationalstore
29 posts
Joined Aug 2019

Oct 03, 2019 01:22 |  #30

I am sorry for the experience. Perhaps it was just the people you dealt with that caused the issue.
Meanwhile, you should switch to Canon. I have been using their products for over 12 years (when I was 13) and have never faced any issue with the service or warrantee.

Michael Smith,
Amateur Photographer,
Dubai, UAE

sponsored links

2,267 views & 26 likes for this thread
Goodbye Nikon; Thanks for Nothing
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.