Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Sep 2019 (Tuesday) 11:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CC please

Evertking
534 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Sep 10, 2019 11:24 |  #1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D
Flash camera right in a 32 in octa
85 mm

Mostly concerned with the posing and the retouch, I'm trying to learn and improve in both.

sponsored links
Croasdail
making stuff up
7,545 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 10, 2019 13:30 |  #2

I hate posing...... probably my least favorite part of anything. So my only nit would be maybe get the other hand in there somehow next time. Perhaps on her knee? But this looks perfectly acceptable to me. I'm sure she is happy with it.

To me.... this is all personal preferences, is I think you got the skin tones spot on. Nail it. Nice soft glow. Not fake looking. Not overly perfect. But warm.... not shinny. There is some pattern on the right bicep, but if that is how it is, its ok to me. Almost looks like stretch marks. But I like it. I prefer real to artificial.

There are a few spots that look soft, necklace, hair above left eye in the shaded area. But those popped up after staring at it after 10 minutes. Most people aren't going to do that.

But I really like the muted pallet. It's a keeper to me.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Ramon-uk
684 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 11, 2019 05:03 |  #3

The first thing that hit me as soon as I saw it was the pose, I find the leaning look very awkward, secondly I think the picture is a little too tightly cropped especially above the head.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,448 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 28, 2019 20:14 |  #4

I don't think it looks posed. It seems as how she would have to brace to stay on the wall and seems natural in that regard. Seems that maybe had more context been included to the left side with her sitting in the right 1/3 could compose better.

Had I been posing her, may have asked to place her right hand and arm behind similar to the other.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
10,296 posts
Gallery: 1014 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by itsallart.

Sep 28, 2019 21:34 |  #5

I don't know whether she had to support her body not to fall off. If she did support herself with one hand on the stone, I would have liked to see that hand in a slightly different position, maybe closer to the viewer's eye. But now, I think that she was leaning more on that hand and her slight tilt and the tension in that hand and arm indicates that. The other hand could be nicer in a slightly different position; maybe gently resting on her right (left in the picture) leg. But overall she looks fairly natural to me, well lit, with a soft glow. I would have preferred a different crop, not as tight.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
500px (external link)
Etsy Store (external link)

OhLook
you get what you get
19,263 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 28, 2019 22:28 |  #6

Good job with the skin tones. I agree with Ramon that more head room would be better. The pose is fine with me except that showing more of her left hand would make it look normal, as opp. to deformed.

I don't happen to like bra straps showing outside an outer garment, but you see so much of that these days that perhaps it's in style.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Joe ­ Thibodeau
40 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2019
Post edited 3 months ago by Joe Thibodeau. (2 edits in all)

Sep 28, 2019 23:25 |  #7

It's a beautiful shot. A step back would leave the frame slightly less crowded. For me a tight frame (subject fills the frame) can feel claustrophobic. No room to breath. Tight. The light and color palette are nice. I think there is high art in getting a model into the right pose. It has to look comfortable. And really experienced models can pull 5 great poses out in 3 minutes. Night and day difference. That said I am virtually worthless on advising anything relating to posing. I used books for references.

Joe Thibodeau - Amateur Photographer

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,595 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 28, 2019 23:36 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #18935047 (external link)
I don't happen to like bra straps showing outside an outer garment, but you see so much of that these days that perhaps it's in style.

I agree, gives her an untidy look.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

sponsored links

667 views & 2 likes for this thread
CC please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.