Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Oct 2019 (Tuesday) 12:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cannot Get the Correct Skin Tone

Kristine2514
162 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined May 2017
Post edited 4 months ago by Kristine2514.

Oct 01, 2019 12:34 |  #1

This is a photo of my son I've been working on. I am not finished with it but am stopping here, as I cannot get the skin tone right. I thought before I axe it I would look for some help here. I have tried curves, selective color, color codes. I have a hard time with skin tones to start with but it seems to me the tone is too blue. When I try to compensate, the tone winds up too yellow. He is fair skinned and naturally has quite a bit of red in his cheeks. His photos seem to be the hardest for me as far as skin tone. Any input, advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 30D

sponsored links
Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 01, 2019 12:40 |  #2

HOSTED PHOTO

I thought I would add the original photo, if it would help

EOS 30D

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,932 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 01, 2019 14:53 |  #3

What software do you use. In Lightroom on Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in it should be fairly easy to get the temperature right and thus the skin tone as well.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 01, 2019 15:44 as a reply to  @ olafs osh's post |  #4

I use Photoshop. I will take it back into camera raw and see what I come up with...

EOS 30D

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,615 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 01, 2019 15:53 |  #5

Playing around with curves and such is going to make it much harder. Adjust the WB first, then curves as necessary.

But going forward, invest in one of these (external link) and one of these (external link). One shot with the cards at the beginning of the session and it makes color adjustments so much easier in post.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 01, 2019 16:10 |  #6

why are the two images so vastly different except for the skin tones?

i put both images on separate layers in photoshop, knocked out a rectangle and let the other one show through. I did lighten on layer a bit, but did not alter color or saturation. You can see that the forehead color is pretty much exactly the same. The other areas are extremely close from a chroma pov ... just a tad more cyan i think.

the biggest difference is less contrast and a tad less saturation in the cut out area.

I also wonder why you think the original isn't working? Looks spot on to me.

HOSTED PHOTO

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 01, 2019 16:20 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #7

I have the cards and they were even in my coat pocket. My son is so not interested in having his photos taken, this was a rare opportunity. I forgot about the cards all together, in my haste to get his photos taken before he got bored (which didn't take long for him to do).

EOS 30D

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 01, 2019 16:28 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #8

Thank you for taking the time...I can see that they are very close. So as I was editing, I would remove from his face with each pretty much each layer. If I wouldn't have done that, I feel that the blues and other layers that I added would have muddied his skin tone to quite an extent. I went into camera raw as Olafs suggested. The white balance changed it ever so slightly and I pulled up contrast a tiny bit. I'm happy with it now. I know too that sometimes you need to walk away and come back later to get a good take on your edit.

EOS 30D

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,552 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 02, 2019 07:10 |  #9

Allow me to digress.... but what look are you trying to achieve? The image you processed is very subtle and neutral. Was that a look you were trying to achieve? Or do you want to go with the bold colors look. There is no right answer here...

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,596 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 02, 2019 07:49 |  #10

Do you need to change the colors much? You know what he looks like so we are at a disadvantage here.

I didn't change colors, I did add contrast and smart sharpening to pop it a bit, but as to coloration, I won't even hazard a guess without some sort of gray reference in the image.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 02, 2019 08:52 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #11

With portraits, the more I do them, the more seem to lean towards subtle. I like to do pop with photos of animals, particularly my birds. I pulled up a tiny bit of contrast in camera raw and white balance changed it an ever so subtle amount.

EOS 30D

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 02, 2019 08:54 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #12

It wasn't the colours so much as contrast. As well, a tiny color change. Changing the white balance also brightened him slightly so I was happy with the final look.

EOS 30D

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 02, 2019 11:00 as a reply to  @ Kristine2514's post |  #13

Often, rather than using contrast, bumping the black point will give back a contrast pop without causing a shift in highlights and quarter tones.

Honestly, it is exceedingly rare that I use the contrast slider.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,596 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 02, 2019 11:13 |  #14

I use USM to manage contrast, I never use the contrast or brightness sliders. I think there probably are like 5+ ways to do contrast changes better than the actual contrast slider that image editing tools give us. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined May 2017

Oct 02, 2019 12:06 |  #15

Thank you both for your inputs. You are right...I've learned that contrast is a bit of a dicey slider. I rarely use it too...especially with portraits as it trashes skin. In this case though, it added just what I was looking for....ever so slight.

EOS 30D

sponsored links

1,888 views & 4 likes for this thread
Cannot Get the Correct Skin Tone
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.